Audio related

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited February 29 in Clubhouse Archives
Did not know where to post this question.

A situation has developed and I will be purchasing a new home. The way it stands now it will be a custom build job and I would like to build my home around my ht room. I am very excited at this possibility and I am looking for great ideas for my new home. I would like to be able to see pics if possible and I have a million ideas floating in my head. It’s going to be wired for sound and dedicated breakers. So far I am thinking about purchasing high gauge wiring for the wire straight from the breaker box. Plexiglass cutouts in the walls to showoff the wiring is in the mix also this should be a great time. I view my home as an investment so any thing that hurts resale value will be a big no no. So fire away and I appreciate all of the help.
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2004
    Kickass! :D

I pretty much have nothing else to contribute. Where is your new home? How long do you plan on being there? I can't imagine what you could do for yourself that would decrease the resale value of your house.

What exact part of the wiring do you plan on putting on display? Are you going to make a dedicated HT room or just build a common room better suited than normal for HT?

Congrats!
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by warviper
    I view my home as an investment so any thing that hurts resale value will be a big no no. So fire away and I appreciate all of the help.
    I'll give you something to think about which you won't like so feel free to toss it on the garbage pile.

If you really do view your home as an investment first which imho is the way it should be viewed then think of the next buyer as most likely having little or no interest in home theater and who will want to use the room you dedicate for this as a playroom for the kids or a sewing room or fill in the blank. My suggestion would be to do it right, but do it as invisibly as possible i.e. forget the plexiglass etc.

There, I've said it, you've read it, now you can toss it, or not.
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Hey Shizz thanx for the reply. I am currently living in Eagle Id and the subdivision that Im in is on fire. I might stay in the same subdivision or go to one real close to it. Ill stay till the time is right for me to move again. I was hoping Dr. Spec might chime in on some built in Sub system that I have seen him do before with size and demensions so I can forward it on to the builder but I am fearfull that the next owner might not like the Idea and make me take it out and a re do the stuff. Gonna show off the speakerwire in wall and the power supply.

Pw thanx for the reply, not too worried about the plexi because alll it sould take is anothe cutout of sheet rock to cover that.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    Build it like you want so long as you can return it back to a more common look in the future. I wouldn't go overboard though. Sure, go ahead and have some plexiglass windows or whatever you want, just be sure you can slap a piece of drywall over it for the next owner. Another point is that the home IS an investment. I'm just not sure whether the more important investment is your happiness for the next several years or for the next buyer to be absolutely thrilled. It's probably a good idea to compromise the two.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Hmmmm. Maybe I need to be more specific. I was hoping to get optimal room size height and maybe even placement info on the subwoofer so that I can put inlays of tile or stone. I have a 55 “ TV and my setup is available in the showcase. I want the room to be perfect any advice is better than none. Thanx for the feedback so far.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    I can't imagine what you could do for yourself that would decrease the resale value of your house.
    See: MONSTER HOUSE.......lol

Although, with the right warped mind, even what they do to a house could be worth a lot of money......

Anything goes out there these days........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MadMilkman
    MadMilkman Posts: 11
    edited May 2004
    Actually, the Zen house that they did really got my attention. Very classy, nothing to over-the-top, and the additions to the backyard would have added value in my mind.

It just depends on what the homeowner wants, but sometimes extreme==good.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2004
    Are you consiering a DEDICATED HT room or a room with more versatility? For versatility, I mean a HT room that doubles as a den or an entertainment room (pool table, bar, etc.).

Please don't make it look like a theater (curtains, popcorn machine, carpet on the walls, a stage, columns, etc.) Kinda boring and lacking in creativity.

I'd opt for versatility, something you can change out quickly if need be. Technology, tastes, needs, desires, circumstances -- they all change, so make sure your living space can accomodate these changes without too much expense.

I'd put my money into better AV components rather than fancy stuff like plexiglass. If I had the best gear, I wouldn't care if my HT system was a barn with cow patties in it.

I have a couple of books on basement remodeling. Anyway, they have lots of great pics on theater rooms that will give you some great ideas. You should also comb the Internet for ideas, too.

Oh, one more thing -- if it's a dedicated HT room, I'd go for a square room (18 x 18) with a high ceiling and the biggest SVS I could buy. No subs underneath the floor or any of that crap. If you can't pick it up and haul it somewhere, don't bother. Keep it simple. I wouldn't even waste money on built-in cabinetry.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2004
    Sounds like a really cool idea. OK, here's my .02.

Like everyone else said, keep resale in mind. Unless you plan to stay forever.

As far as size, that's subjective. Do You plan to keep the same size TV? Think you might wanna go FP in the future??

The plexiglass might not get any WAF.

Whatever size you do, think of a couple of things:

1) Upgraditis - We all get it... Instead just of running wire, run conduits. If you wanna change the speaker wires, you jus pull new ones though. If you decide to step up the power lines, same same. Home Depot sells this blue plastic stuff that would work out just fine. Or go w/ PVC, or learn how to run EMT.

2) Breathing room/ventilation - Build your equipment into an enclosure with it's own ventilation. Be sure to give yourself enough room to get back there comfortably so you can swap out IC's and upgrade the DVD when VIRTUAUL HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTION hits the market.

3) Sound insulation - You don't wanna hear the yimsters fightin' over the phone. Insulate the ceiling, floor and walls. Double layer wall covering, either 2 x 5/8 rock or 1 layer Homasote w/ /8 rock over it.

4) Lighting - control of the sunlight and all incandescents on dimmers.

That's all I got...
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    That's all I got...

Good cause that was what I needed thanx for all the great input and Ill keep you posted.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited May 2004
    "I was hoping to get optimal room size height..."

if you google something like "perfect OR optimal audio room dimensions" you'll get tons of hits and theories to work with and consider. if you're new to searching the net, you could also try quotation marks around parts of the string, like "perfect dimensions" or "perfect room" to mix things up a bit.

i'd look for agreement from many sources, as there are tons of variables and disagreement over how to interpret and achieve a balanced realworld outcome and, given the complexity, there's a respectable probability of error.

i'd also keep an eye out for articles that allow for responses to them. if you have the time to crunch thousands of words for the usefulness of this point, here's a perfect example of how useful responses can be:
    http://www.stereophile.com/reference/35/index.html
    otherwise just go straight to the responses.

you might give some thought to bass traps before building too, as some strategies will alter building details. there's a good article here:
    http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

usg is a building material manufacturer. a while ago they had info on their website that might help.

you might keep an eye out for architects and contractors that have experience with this too.

good luck

)
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Hey Scott great reply you should post more! Thanx for the help gonna go meet with a couple of builders on Sunday.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2004
    I would have all floor joists made with the Wood I-beams instead of the 2x10's that are more common in a standard build. They are extreamly sturdy, stiff and can support (I think) up to 32ft before a they require a support to be added. Glue all flooring in addition to nailing also the walls of the HT would benifit from being thicker (up to 10") and the overlay (Drywall 3/4" also glued or plaster) insulate for sound deadining.

Dave
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2004
    Its Sunday, so let us know what you and the builders talked about!
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by dave shepard
    ...and the overlay (Drywall 3/4" also glued or plaster) insulate for sound deadining.

agreed, engineered joists and beams are 20-20+/-2.

i think that usg website might have some info about acoustical panels, silent panels (or something like that). type x drywall is also used in some applications. sorry, i can't remember advantages/disadvantages.

)
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Money, all we talked about were floor plans and price per square foot. Its looking about 4000 to 4500 sqft. And its coming in from 85 to 115 persqft. Its gonna hurt but I hope its a good type of hurt.
  • amulford
    edited May 2004
    That's going to be a big house. Are you sure you want something that big??? Our house is around 4500 sf, and it is a **** to keep it clean.

Good luck, man. Just remember, KEEP SMILING...;)
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    My current house is 3400 sqft so its not that big a step up. I gotta stay at home wife. She cleans good!:D
  • amulford
    edited May 2004
    She must rule with an IRON FIST. Mine let the kids have the run of the joint, and it drives me effin nuts...;)
  • warviper
    edited May 2004
    Yea they do cause alot of trouble thats why we dont take the cuffs off often and the closet door is always locked.:D