Blu-spec CD2 arrives

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,711
edited November 2012 in Music & Movies
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2012
    I read about this, distortion is cut down by over 50% because the blu lasers burn deeper when making the recording. Should make for some awesome playback via a cd transport hooked up to a dac
  • F1nut
    edited October 2012
    Or you could just buy a top notch CDP and lose the extra connections.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2012
    I read about this, distortion is cut down by over 50% because the blu lasers burn deeper when making the recording. Should make for some awesome playback via a cd transport hooked up to a dac

Even better, it will make for better file copies to play back from the music server.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2012
    Interesting - most are priced $23 - $33 usd. Wonder if they'll branch out into other types of music? May have to try a couple of the classical selections out of curiosity.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2012
    I'll wait for Live at Leeds.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2012
    Hopefully they'll release a version of Kind of Blue. Haven't seen a new version of that one in a week or so.

Looks like it should play in redbook player?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited October 2012
    I got a blu-spec CD (version 1) of the Scorpions "Taken By Force" - I didn't get it because it was blu-spec - just wanted a good CD copy of this. It is really really good: clean, great dynamics, deep spatial sonics.

As with most releases, the mix & mastering is what really matters - the medium less so, imo.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited October 2012
    Excited to take a listen to one of these and happy to hear that they will work in a standard player!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited October 2012
    As with most releases, the mix & mastering is what really matters - the medium less so, imo.

bingo as with most today being mastered HOT and LOUD no matter what medium they put it on i would think it would still sound bad.
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2012
    Anyone had a chance to take a listen to one of these yet and feel like sharing their thoughts?
  • BlueFox
    edited October 2012
    I just searched on Amazon, and a few turned up in the $50+ range. Of course, none interested me. Also, you would be amazed at how many CDs there are with "blue" and "spec" in the title. :eek:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jaf09
    jaf09 Posts: 48
    edited October 2012
    sounds good, i wanna try it!!!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2012
    Just in case anyone is interested, Japan Sony is readying reissues on Blu-spec CD 2 to be released in 2013 with its usual list of artists....

Journey, Toto, Bob Dylan, Kansas, Boz Scaggs, Paul Simon (Graceland), Boston, Billy Joel, ELO, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, etc.

The Jimi Hendrix Blu-spec CD 2 titles have been postponed though. But Blu-spec CD 2 releases from Davy Jones and David Cassidy are still on schedule.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited November 2012
    I asked a mastering engineer who has done work on the most dynamic and well recorded album I have ever ran across [FIM/Sheffield Lab DXD DTD 24-bit352.8Khz mastering] and has worked with clients such as David Chesky, First Impression Music and Wilson Audio (to name a few) if Blu-spec 2 was hype or worthy. This was his answer...
    Just hype... The burning is more accurate, but every transport has error correction. You can get the same results by using a Blu-ray burner. I've done it and there is no sonic difference.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Better late than never? I decided to finally order a few of these BluSpec CD2 discs from a Japanese eBay seller:

7covx5t6shid.jpg

Took exactly 18 days to arrive. Prices were $30.50 and $20.50, respectively, plus $9 shipping. That is approaching SACD pricing.

I'll play them soon in the Ruby and see how they sound.
  • BlueFox
    edited April 2019
    Wow Clipdat. You've been on since at least 2012. For some reason I was thinking you were a newbie. Time flies. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I picked up 3 of them last night, give them s shot and see how they sound.
  • Clipdat
    What titles did you go with Kerry?
  • F1nut
    I found them brighter, not a good thing.

President of Club Polk