Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited August 2012
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2012
    lanchile wrote: »
    This is my diy passive integrated amp!

Looks pretty cool!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lanchile
    edited August 2012
    Thanks guys! so far I have spent around $600 in parts. My last update was the potentiometer, now it has a TDK. I know with that kind of money I could buy a nice commercial amp, but this diy amp kicked my Bryston's B60 butts that is over $2k and beside it is unique lol!!! it is a small passive integrated amp 2 1/2 H X 8 W X 12 D. The amp kits are the M400 take a look the specifications:http://hdamp.com/M400.html
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Thanks guys! so far I have spent around $600 in parts. My last update was the potentiometer, now it has a TDK. I know with that kind of money I could buy a nice commercial amp, but this diy amp kicked my Bryston's B60 butts that is over $2k and beside it is unique lol!!! it is a small passive integrated amp 2 1/2 H X 8 W X 12 D. The amp kits are the M400 take a look the specifications:http://hdamp.com/M400.html

Pretty cool but I dont have the skills to assemble such a kit. Thats why I come here :smile:.... to make those kinds of connections :redface:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2012
    Awesome work! DIY is a blast, and I cannot wait to take on my next project. Thinking I might go for a preamp next time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Awesome work! DIY is a blast, and I cannot wait to take on my next project. Thinking I might go for a preamp next time.

There's a shocker lol.... :wink:.. what ever happened to the SDA with ribbon tweeter speaker... I think that should be next..

I look forward to whatever you end up doing.... you know I will try to make one myself someday lol....
  • lanchile
    edited August 2012

Thanks! I would strongly recommend you to use TDK in your pre-amp. I did try Alps, Noble and TDK potentiometers and the TDK are way,way better than Alps and a step above of Noble potentiometers. They cost more money ,but it is worthy the extra $...
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2012
    The ribbon SDA will require a massive amount of skills I do not currently possess. I am finding the dipole designs to already have much of the same characteristics as SDA's have anyway, at least to my feeble ears.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2012
    I will take the tip to heart Lanchile... I am looking at throwing a grand worth of tubes at my Sunfire to see if I can wake it up first, but from what I have been reading, the amps mine are based off of tend to roll off on the highs, Don't know why that is, but I will be checking with Bob to see what he says.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2012
    Goldpoint is another great attenuator.

Did you use carbon pots in your amps like Bob does? If so, bypass them.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2012
    I did not put in volume attenuators on my amps. I saw no need for them so long as I have balance controls on the pre.

• Face
    edited August 2012
    Good.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited September 2012
    Not mine, but I'd love to own it.

IMGP2634.jpg
  • zingo
    edited September 2012
    Not mine, but I'd love to own it.

IMGP2634.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2012
    I've got an interesting piece of equipment, pictures of which I want to post on this thread as soon as I can dig it out of the closet and take the photos.

A little tease: Perhaps an iPod precursor?

More to come later; I hope later today, but maybe tomorrow.

Cheers!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2012
    This is the inside of my Dared MC-7P preamp:

IMG_1174.jpg

And this is the inside of my Dared MC-7P after I upgraded all the coupling caps with Auricaps:

IMG_1188.jpg
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited September 2012
    NAD C316BEE:
    316_2.jpg

316_1.jpg

Beautiful! :biggrin:
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2012
    I've got an interesting piece of equipment, pictures of which I want to post on this thread as soon as I can dig it out of the closet and take the photos.

A little tease: Perhaps an iPod precursor?

More to come later; I hope later today, but maybe tomorrow.

Cheers!

Sorry -- it looks like I won't be able to post it till after my trip to Polkfest!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Clipdat
    edited October 2012
    Krell S-300i - Great design!
    KRS300i_INT-Large.jpg
  • zingo
    edited October 2012
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2012
    Love the "stealth" wiring around the toroidal. What kind of amp is that?
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Love the "stealth" wiring around the toroidal. What kind of amp is that?

Balanced Audio Technology 200-VK; 100wpc at 8 ohms, 200wpc at 4 ohms high bias class A/AB (the amp bench tests at about 75% more than the rated power specs :cheesygrin:). The gets a hot as many SS true class A amps I've owned, but it still sounds warm and detailed with much more power and punch. Despite the sparse look in the chassis, because of the transformer and heat-sinks, the amp still weighs about 65lbs.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2012
    Krell KSL balanced pre amp with Krell MM/MC Phono Board. Primarily Roederstien EK caps and Sprague. I've seen later versions with all Sprague caps. A nice TKD volume control. The first two are Carl's pictures from when it was first sold.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2012
    Hey Rich!

I see that you have your tools out again! LOL! I took the first two pics, but the last two have your fingerprints on them.

What a fabulous preamp!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2012
    Hey Carl! Just a little bench check, pop the top, clean, run an EKG and check pulse.:cheesygrin:

Ed is trying to set me up with its old friend, the Krell-der KSA-250. Despite the age it is a very impressive pre amp and phono stage.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2012
    Recent purchase -> PeachTree Audio Decco65

Decco65 v2.jpg
  • Face
    edited December 2012
    Looks like they've beefed up their products a bit. Does this one have balance issues at low volumes like the original Nova?
  • lanchile
    edited December 2012
    These are the guts of my diy passive integrated amp.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2012
    Face wrote: »
    Looks like they've beefed up their products a bit. Does this one have balance issues at low volumes like the original Nova?

Not that I have heard, and I keep the volume between 9 and 11 mostly. I know they changed the amps to IcePower for the new Nova and Grand Integrated, and a chip amp for the Decco, not sure what other changes were made.

Am looking at the new Nova now for the HT, torn between that and a W4S Mint. If I get it i'll be sure to pop the top and show the guts of that one to, though the only difference should be the amp.
  • Face
    edited December 2012
    I'm currently using a Mint, it's a nice sounding unit and should be a step above the new Nova.