Group buy: Avel Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformers for DreadNought

nspindel
nspindel Posts: 5,343
edited January 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi all -

DarqueKnight's recent writeup on using 1000VA instead of 800VA isolation transformers can be found here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?129829-The-AI-1-Dreadnought-Project-Pt.2-Upgrade-to-1000VA-Transformer

In April of this year, a bunch of folks got together and did a group buy of 26 of the AV-047548 isolation transformers, and these are completely sold out. I know that there was some interest in more of these units, including me!

I've gotten pricing from Melanie at Avel Lindberg. They will do another run of these for us for as few as 10 pieces, but the price goes down considerably if we can get to 25 units. For 10, they would cost $268.43/each, but if we can get to 25 pieces the price gets as low as $210.04/each. There are price drops at 15 and 20 pieces as well.

Shipping plus insurance is $14.25/each, and Avel Lindberg will unit ship to each of us as long as I collect all the money up front.

Please respond here if you'd like to be "in" on a group buy of these. Can we get to 25???
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
Post edited by nspindel on

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2012
    I'm in, for dos (2) . . . . and they can't get here quick enough!!!!!!

G

p.s. Perhaps the thread could be spread-out over other forum titles . . not just "special interest" . . .Just a thought

and btw, THANKS for posting the effort!!!!!!!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nspindel
    edited July 2012
    Ok, cool. Probably worth mentioning in the vintage speaker forum, I'll post something there. Don't know who else other than the DIY and vintage guys who would want to buy a 1000VA transformer...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2012
    I would be interested in buying one. However, I can't commit to this for at least a month if not two. So if it takes that long to get the required people, bonus. I'm in.
  • Leftplumma
    Leftplumma Posts: 88
    edited July 2012
    I would be interested in one as well.
    Thank you for your efforts!!!!!
    Polk SDA 1.2 TL
    Infinity SSW-210
    Integra DTR 7.1
    Pioneer SC-57 Elite
    Sony X777ES
    Sansui BA-5000
    Hafler XL 600's in mono w/ George Kay Audio Tube upgrades
    Hafler xl 600 stock
    Krell FPB 600
    Avel 1000VA Dreadnought
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Assuming Drenis is in, we're half way to a buy of 10....
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited August 2012
    I'm in for one.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    We need a minimum of ten, we're at six (five until Drenis confirms). If I get one more person to confirm, I'm prepared to go ahead and collect funds from those who have committed, and then I'd front the rest just so we can get the order moving forward. They said it's going to be an 8-12 week delivery, so I'd like to get this going asap. I'm sure I can find three more participants in 8-12 weeks. But I need at least one more person to commit before I'll do that.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited August 2012
    isolation transformers are good for electronics. I'm glad I got mine for free when I worked at Raytheon in the 70s.

Mine must weight 30 pounds and it has a large handle on the top for moving.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    It's huge. Don't believe there's a handle though. See the photos in the thread I link to in the opening post.
  • Drenis
    edited August 2012
    Confirming I'm in.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Excellent! So we have 6 confirmed. Given an order of 26 of these went through a few months ago, I guess it's unlikely that we'll get to the 25-level of pricing, but certainly there are 4 more people out there who need to build a Dreadnought. As soon as 1 more person firms up, then I'll tell AL to go ahead and do up an order for 10, and we'll find the other 3 during the 8-12 weeks it'll take to get these made.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2012
    I would recommend that you get the money for all 10 units up front prior to order. That extra $835 for the 3 phantom units could hurt.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Actually, you are probably right and I really don't feel like getting burned on this. So we are looking for 4 more people to join this group buy. Who else is in?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2012
    This seems to be going nowhere......I'm surprised. Maybe posted in the wrong section?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    I'm suprised as well. Come on "TL" SDA owners. You will want to build one of the AI-1 Dreadnaughts with the 1000VA transformer. You won't regret it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    This seems to be going nowhere......I'm surprised. Maybe posted in the wrong section?

I put up a post in the vintage speakers forum as well, with a link to this thread. Not sure where all the Dreadnought wanters are!
  • Drenis
    edited August 2012
    It's a considerable investment people have to make for this mod. And right now, no one seems to have any money as is seen in the FM. :razz: But all the late comers (including myself) to SDA's need to be influenced to take the plunge for this mod.

I'm very intrigued to hear what this mod does.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    I think the big problem is that a big buy of these (26) just happened a few months ago, too bad we weren't paying attention back then! It'll happen, just need to be patient. It's an amazing mod, I know that because I already have an 800VA so this is an upgrade for me. But like you say, it's not cheap either. But it's worth it.
  • headrott
    edited August 2012
    Drenis wrote: »
    It's a considerable investment people have to make for this mod. And right now, no one seems to have any money as is seen in the FM. :razz: But all the late comers (including myself) to SDA's need to be influenced to take the plunge for this mod.

I'm very intrigued to hear what this mod does.

Trust me, you WILL NOT be dissapointed.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2012
    I will commit to one.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Drenis
    edited August 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Trust me, you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

Considering you own 3.1TL's, waiting will be the hardest part.
  • headrott
    edited August 2012
    Are you quoting Tom Petty?:biggrin: Or are you being literal.

I must say, I haven't used the 1000VA Dreadnaught on the 3.1TL's as I now own 2.3TL's and the 3.1TL's. I used the 800VA Dreadnaught on the 3.1TL's and was impressed. If you use the 1000VA Dreadnaught on the 3.1TL's you will love it based on the how it sounds with the 2.3TL's. It is a worthwhile investment if you have the funds available.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2012
    F1nut wrote: »

It took a while to build a critical mass for the first group buy, so I'm not surprised at the trickle this time. I also won't be surprised at the three or four stragglers that will pop up after this buy has closed.:wink:
    nspindel wrote: »
    Not sure where all the Dreadnought wanters are!

They are somewhere listening to their SDA's.:razz:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    7 down, three to go!

Ray, thank you again for all the amazing work you've done on the Dreadnought, blazing the trail so the rest of us can benefit from your efforts!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2012
    I'm on the fence simply because of some larger Summer expenditures as well as a vacation coming up. Let me think it over and if you need (1) last sale to get you over the hump I'll probably do it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Brock are you using an 800VA Dread now with your SDA's? Is this an upgrade or are you a first time Dread'er?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2012
    1st time. Actually now that I think about it, I'd be interested in your 800VA after you build this one.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Sorry bud, but it's already spoken for. Once my CRS+'s are done, a friend from work is buying my 1C's and the 800VA transformer.

Don't screw around. If you're gonna do it, do it right :twisted:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2012
    There is always the possibility of increasing the price slightly to do the deal with 7 and then if the other three are sold you could send refunds. Just a thought.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    I could ask, but she said minimum was 10. Thing is, if I order 7 and 3 more people come along, we won't be able to add them in. If we order 7, all we're getting is 7. People tried to jump into the last group buy late, and the answer was no.