When are we likely to see PS4 and Xbox 720's on the street

polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited July 2012 in Video Games
Well it has been 6 years since the ps3 hit the shelf's and replaced the 6 yr old ps2 so should be not be hearing info from sony on a new ps4? I think there must be a console in final stages of development and we may hear an announcement at the end of the year. If no announcement is made could this be because the ps3 and xbox360 are still selling good or that there is no new tech that is going to wow us and make it worth the money?
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2012
    Really? Sony has always touted a ten year shelf life for the PS3. Get your read on and throw away your non existing crystal ball.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2698376/playstation-4-wont-appear-at-e3-2012-says-sonys-kaz-hirai
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2012
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited July 2012
    The inclusion of Blu-ray in the 720 (or whatever they are going to call it) will be HUGE!
    The question is, do we buy the 1st gen editions of either and live through the plague of problems they had or wait it out?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2012
    mrbiron wrote: »
    The inclusion of Blu-ray in the 720 (or whatever they are going to call it) will be HUGE!
    The question is, do we buy the 1st gen editions of either and live through the plague of problems they had or wait it out?

MS needs to get out of the business of doing a lot of things bad, and back into doing a few things great. I hope they don't rush this out just to beat the ps by a few years, and have a mess on there hands. I could go back to a box after doing the ps thing for the last five years.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012
    In the console wars it has always seemed like first off the starting line wins the race regardless
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited July 2012
    Not sure a new generation of consoles will add much value to games, other than better graphics. Personally I think the hardware available has outgrown the creativity of the industry. In a lot of ways, the industry has failed to make the best use of the current generation's technology. I wouldn't mind being wrong, but with the current state of the gaming industry, I don't exactly feel compelled to drop $400 on a new system just yet.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Not sure a new generation of consoles will add much value to games, other than better graphics. Personally I think the hardware available has outgrown the creativity of the industry. In a lot of ways, the industry has failed to make the best use of the current generation's technology. I wouldn't mind being wrong, but with the current state of the gaming industry, I don't exactly feel compelled to drop $400 on a new system just yet.

I think we need the new hardware because most games are still being done in 720p with chuga luga frame rates. Take a look at the FPS's as they are all showing signs of hardware limitation. Creativity is something that does not need new hardware I agree
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2012
    Flash/html5 is where it's at right now. The most complex games don't necessarily win. Look at Angry Birds.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • mystik610
    edited July 2012
    I think we need the new hardware because most games are still being done in 720p with chuga luga frame rates. Take a look at the FPS's as they are all showing signs of hardware limitation. Creativity is something that does not need new hardware I agree

But does higher resolutions and frame rates necessarily equate to a better gaming experience? I can see how frame rate can go a long way in FPS, but is there really anything compelling/revolutionary out there that can't be done on existing hardware? We're at a point where hardware upgrades face a huge diminish in returns in terms of real value to gaming experience/consumer.

Sony itself has said that they do not believe that a hardware upgrade would present a 'significant leap' in the gaming experience. It seems Microsoft is gunning to be first out of the gate, but I wonder if the industry has matured to a level where it makes sense to do so....and first out of the gate doesn't necessarily mean success. Ask Sega.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room

Headphones
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2012
    I was about to say.... Didn't SEGA destroy itself with that philosophy?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012
    Better hardware for fps's means bigger maps and more players on at one time with better frame rates and nicer eye candy

The downfall of sega was mostly due to piracy as the dreamcast had no defenses against it
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2012
    I was also referring to both the 32X and the SEGA CD.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited July 2012
    Battlefield 3 - 64 Man Servers....YES PLEASE! I'll take 2!

Are game developers really compressing games down that much to meet the consoles power? Is that the real *need* here?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mystik610
    edited July 2012
    I was also referring to both the 32X and the SEGA CD.

And the Saturn
    My System Showcase!

Media Room

Living-room

Headphones
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited July 2012
    The downfall of sega was mostly due to piracy as the dreamcast had no defenses against it

mostly? more like "hardly"
    the Playstation 1 had far worse problems with piracy yet they somehow made it. And hardly by the skin of their teeth. Sega had a small fan baseto begin with. Add in the hugely hyped release of the playstation 2 to the 75 million unit fan base of Sony, and it becomes more obvious. Sega was always a distant second or third to nintendo and sony and the dreamcast was too little, too late. Piracy is a convenient scapegoat for a failing family of platforms.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • newrival
    edited July 2012
    To the original topic, platform releases, as we have winessed with the wii, do not necessarily equate to better graphics and higher frame rates. Given the immense success and development of the kinect technology, I could see the 720 taking a more revolutionary approach, rather than an evolutionary one. MS needs to remember what they do well - software, networking, user interface (ie surface, kinect), and Media Center - and combine it all in a way we all never realized we needed.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2012
    What exactly would a PS4 upgrade involve? That CELL processor is probably still the most powerful in the industry. So it's NOT a question of needing more processing power?

OK, then that leaves things like HDMI upgrades, larger Hard Drives, maybe faster or more robust wireless support. All those things hardly warrant a new designation of PS4 because they're just peripheral upgrades of connectivity and storage?

I think the 10 year figure above is on the mark. The CELL has got a few years of life left on it. As for XBOX, don't really know that platform too well, my son uses it.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • newrival
    edited July 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    What exactly would a PS4 upgrade involve? That CELL processor is probably still the most powerful in the industry. So it's NOT a question of needing more processing power?

OK, then that leaves things like HDMI upgrades, larger Hard Drives, maybe faster or more robust wireless support. All those things hardly warrant a new designation of PS4 because they're just peripheral upgrades of connectivity and storage?

I think the 10 year figure above is on the mark. The CELL has got a few years of life left on it. As for XBOX, don't really know that platform too well, my son uses it.

cnh
    I agree, at the very least until 2014. Sony's stance isn't even that the CELL processor is is so great, it's that 3rd party developers haven't come close to maxing it out. Sony certainly has with the killzone and uncharted series, but no third party developer has begun to approach that level yet. And it is a wise stance, in my opinion. Why would you make bigger and badder hardware when no third party is even utilizing all the current system has to offer.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2012
    Nintendo is pushing for a new Wii to be released this yr. Xbox and PS4 are looking at next yr to release next gen. I think the 360 will still sell even after that due to the new slim boxes they continue to release, like the Halo 4 box. Time will tell, but I think MS is looking to beat PS4 like someone else mentioned.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • newrival
    edited July 2012
    Sony has no official plans for releasing a new system next year. In fact, they said they aren't. MS is the only one with apparent plans to do so, and that was only through a leak, showing a product roadmap with a release goal of december '13.
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited July 2012
    If I remember correctly, Sony bought out an online gaming site. They feel that streaming will be the future for videogames.
  • bencorn
    bencorn Posts: 49
    edited July 2012
    The xbox probably needs to step up to a new console. I think if they add bluray along with their superior online experience they're going to be a hard company to beat. Sony doesn't really have much they can add at this point so there isn't really a need to put out a new console.
  • Silverfang2340
    Silverfang2340 Posts: 42
    edited July 2012
    Can't see next-gen consoles being release until at LEAST 2014. It's only logical, Sony set themselves up for a minimum 10 year life cycle for the Playstation 3. Doesn't mean they will drop PS3 support once PS4 is released, just have to wait it out and see what happens in the coming few years.
    Current setup: Harman Kardon HKTS 30BQ

Next setup: Polk RTI A7's
    Polk CSi A6
    HSU VTF-2 MK4 12" SUB
    Undecided on surround