Does Polk use Air Core Inductors...

Options
dean/klipschead
dean/klipschead Posts: 295
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
...in their crossovers?
Dean
Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
Post edited by dean/klipschead on

Comments

• HUNTER
    HUNTER Posts: 78
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The ones that I have see (800i and 3000 sat)use iron core.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Nope, not since the SDA line.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Options
    do you guys have an opinion about that

that is - is it necessarily a 'bad' thing?
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • HUNTER
    HUNTER Posts: 78
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Air core inductors have lower distortion characteristics than iron core inducters, Their relatively high resistance can cause a problem if not used properly, iron core inductors are preferred because of their low resistance.
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks Hunter!
    Dean

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Yea I agree with Hunter and would only add that the iron core aids in concentrating magnetic lines of flux and that is why it is eaiser to drive the speaker.

With air core, it takes greater amounts of current to reproduce the signal, but is less suspect to "noise" or interference that iron.

Joe