Sell or trash RM3000 system?

JimMueller
JimMueller Posts: 100
edited June 2012 in Vintage Speakers
I have a legacy RM3000 satellite/sub system I bought in the early 90's which has been replaced. The sub functions fine but has minor cosmetic blemishes; the satellites have issues. Off the top of my head, both satellites have damaged surrounds, one cone is dented in, one each of the mounting holes on the satellites have stripped sleeves, and one of the mounting arms has both a missing wingnut as well as a damaged wingnut. I have the original manual and the receipt for the WB3000 mounting kit, but I cannot find the receipt for the RM3000 system itself. I should have the original boxes for the speakers.

Here are some photos I took this morning, let me know if it's worth the hassle of selling them? If I sold them I figure I'd just sell the sub and include the satellites for free due to their condition.

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/evcass69/For%20Sale/Polk/?start=all
Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
Post edited by JimMueller on

Comments

• Shacky
    Shacky Posts: 113
    edited June 2012
    As an original owner of the RM3000 I'd say they are worth fixing or selling. Those midrange drivers can be refoamed with new dust covers (the "dome" in middle). Someone may be very interested in that sub to use with another RM300 set. Two subs can be connecter claiming to "double" bass output.

I gave mine to my wife to use in her studio (large) with Pioneer SX-950. Still sound amazing.

But the sub is definitely the best part and your idea sound great.

Good luck!
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited June 2012
    before you junk em, you might try vacuum and or tape trick on the dust cap.
  • JimMueller
    JimMueller Posts: 100
    edited June 2012
    I've already got them packed up in the original box. What's the sub worth, maybe $50?
    Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited June 2012
    There is one on my local CL asking $75, but it has been being reposted for the last month, so if you are wanting to sell it quick that would probally be a good asking price.
  • rcfields
    rcfields Posts: 2
    Back in the very early 90's I debated between the rm3000's and the studio monitor 6's. Both systems were incredible for their size at the time. I ended up with the 6's only because they looked good with my Studio Monitor 5's. The reason I stayed with Polk all these years (I even had some passive computer speakers that were Polk) is that when I bought them, I was told that every speaker "cone" in any Polk system could be replaced as Polk stocked the parts. I still have both the monitor series speaker systems and they still sound amazing after 30 years. I know I'm like 8 years too late but I would buy them and get the damaged parts replaced with Polk components.
  • Very late to this thread but I'm still using RM3000 speaker package. I did refoam the drivers on the satellites a number of years back. The speakers are still tied to a Denon AVR 800. Both purchased in 1994 and still sound good. I think I have received my money's worth on this purchase.
  • The foam cone on these 3-1/2-inch satellite speakers deteriorate over time. The entire speaker must be replaced. Polk does not offer a replacement speaker. I purchased a set of Boss BRS35 replacement speakers from Amazon for about $20 for the pair. They fit almost perfectly (you will need to slightly been one of the mounting brackets). They sound great and are the same impedance as the old speakers at 4 ohms.