New Thread #9: WHAT'S FAIR?

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
What percentage of your income do you think is fair for the government to take from you in taxes?
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    20% would be nicer than the 28-32% they take out now, but hey, i love america, so i'm not going to complain...:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2002
    this delves right back in to politics but this is my answer:

I advocate a 10% across the board, no exemption, no whining, no nothing, income tax. PERIOD.

If the government can't exist on 10% then they are spending too damn much. This does away with tax laws, IRS everything.

Flat tax baby.

Yeah, yeah, it's a regressive tax I know but I think that it is the fairest way to go.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    I like the flat tax also, now how much should they get, 15% would be ok hell even 20% would be less than we pay now, could you imagine Uncle Sam getting 15% of everyone’s income, private individuals, companies, corporations, wow now that is some serious dough.

I also like the federal sales tax idea, that way rich, poor, white, black, American, non-citizens, everyone who buys something would pay a tax. Not to pick on anyone, but Uncle Sam would get some tax from illegal aliens this way, or foreigners living here, buy a piece of gum BAM money for Uncle Sam, maybe some of the free rides would be over.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited March 2002
    Voluntary basis (- infinity to + infinity).
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    They'd never do a flat tax, most of the reason this system is in place is because rich, privilaged folks can find a way around a huge portion of they're taxes. There are so many loopholes, it's crazy. But I'd say 20% would be much more appropriate.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2002
    the flat tax would CLOSE all those loopholes......BTW folks, if you do the math, most of are paying not even close to 20% unless you are making stupid amounts of cash. Most people fall in to the 15% category. On roughly 45K TAXABLE income, the rate is about 15%

Troy
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    0, I work for my money, I should get to keep it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Two things are certain in life: Death and taxes...taxes just hurt more.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited March 2002
    Follow Singapore example, Flat tax 2% if you gross under $100,000 and 20% if you gross over $100,000.

I like the federal sales tax, no on escapes threw loop poles.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    this delves right back in to politics

A little. But look how interesting our answers are. I think we can do this without being partisan. I just want to know what people think about taxes.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    so what do you think micah???
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited March 2002
    In Aussie land we get slugged 47% after $35000 that sucks, on top of that we are slugged 10% gst, goods and services tax on everything but food, thats why I want that Polk pen, I cannot afford any pen with all the rotten tax we pay, Regards Fabian:mad: :o:o:o:o
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Damn Fabian. When they bend you over, do they at least use lubricant? That's harsh.

Right now, I am getting screwed by our lovely government by 30%. That's 30% too much for those useless ****. I know that is going to jump because I started a new job in January that gave me a 31% salary increase. Can't wait until the end of this year. Those Fockers, you know from Meet the Parents:)

One things for sure, you'd never catch me working for'em

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2002
    in comparison to other countries, the US tax rates are very low.

Fabian, but you Aussies have all those hot, cool accented women! Stop complaining!

Troy
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited March 2002
    True mate we do and if you follow the indy I live near the sufers paradise track and the women are, God what can I say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:) :):):):) :cool:
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited March 2002
    No taxes at all. The government should fund itself from tariffs and service fees.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    I agree with you my man from down under. But if we have to pay taxes - a staight 10% across the baord for everyone would be nice, including the rich that get away with sooo many write offs. Also each of us could do our own taxes figuring out 10% is pretty easy. { Where's the tea party when you want them ? }
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited March 2002
    I think Chris Rock has said it best. We are not paying taxes. The governement is just jacking us. The government just takes the money before we even get to see it. Flat tax would be nice though.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    try to look at it this way

it's all just paper and smoke and mirrors

if there were no taxes you would just make 30% less income

everything is balanced one way or another

it's that damn circle of life thing - or something like that

Now property taxes is another issue altogether. Taxing property sucks. It is actually illegal for the Federal Government to tax property -- but somehow if local principalities do it - it's O.K. What's up with that?
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • TroyD
    edited March 2002
    I look at it this way, I would rather be taxed at the lowest level, ie local vice state vice federal. The lower the level, the less beauracracy that you have to support which equates to lower rates.

Property taxes I mind less because that pays for schools, plus they are tax deductible.

Troy
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    I would much rather be working but can't. I don't pay taxes nor do I collect S.S. I don't need it with my settlement. I don't need the tax payers such a yourselves supportng me I think that would be wrong. As for my insurance paying bills it comes from the guy I got in the acceident with(Ditch Witch) in the end, it does not raise your insurance or come from any part of your insurance payments. I do donate to charities locally and other which I think are good. They can't be a write off since I don't pay taxes I just try and help were I can. Andrea does volunteer work but I can't because of my meds. If I ere paying taxes I agree with the flat tax rate too.
    Chris :)