Favorite classic sci-fi movie

2»

Comments

• rebuy
    rebuy Posts: 695
    edited February 2012
    I always liked "Sleeper" with Woody Allen, good Sci-fi movie. I'm gonna get me a orgasmatron too.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2012
    And an orb thing.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2012
    Do any of you remember the Joe Bob Briggs movie series/commentary. Where he introduced Nude on the Moon; a film about a group of astronauts who land on the moon to find a lush paradise ruled by topless women! lol

Surely not a "classic" but blurring the genre between sci-fi and soft ****?

I can't believe I've actually seen this. It is "bad" but also amusing!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cnh
    edited February 2012
    Here are some more:

The Incredible Shrinking Man....some pretty interesting philosophical reflections for a low budget film.

This Island Earth--a 1955 American science fiction film directed by Joseph M. Newman. It is based on the novel of the same name by Raymond F. Jones. The film stars Jeff Morrow as the alien Exeter, Faith Domergue as Dr. Ruth Adams, and Rex Reason as Dr. Cal Meacham. The film was one of the first major science fiction films to be made in Technicolor. (Wiki)

When Worlds Collide--As a new star and planet hurtle toward a doomed Earth, a small group of survivalists frantically work to complete the rocket which will take them to their new home. (the end of the world film before most end of the world films)

Colossus: The Forbin Project (produced in 1969 though released in 1970) is an American science fiction thriller film. It is based upon the 1966 novel Colossus, by Dennis Feltham Jones, about a massive American defense computer, named Colossus, becoming sentient and deciding to assume control of the world. (Wiki) Before Terminator!!

The Phantom Planet--"Gulliver's Travels" in space. An astronaut lands on an asteroid populated by 6-inch tall humanoids and helps them battle their monster attackers.

Planet of the Apes (the Heston version).

Here's a link I found looking for the names of a few things I couldn't remember above!

http://www.windows2universe.org/art_and_music/films.html

cnh

• Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited February 2012
    Hi guys!! Thanks for all the input. I just saw 20 Million Miles to Earth a few days ago. It was interesting. Keep 'em coming.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2012
    See the award winning Plan 9, (Worst movie ever made) Ed Wood's best effort !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited February 2012
    What!!! No one voted for Blade Runner? Dark City? Blasphemy!!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    jon s wrote: »
    What!!! No one voted for Blade Runner? Dark City? Blasphemy!!!

Are they over 40 years old?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited February 2012
    Saturday afternoon or late night sci-fi theater on a fuzzy black & white (we got 2 1/2 channels, hehe): The Fly, Them, Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, any classic monster flick.

Later, in theaters: Westworld, Planet of the Apes, 2001, Night of the Living Dead.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2012
    I saw someone post the original Frankenstein w/Boris Karloff, Love it, own it on DVD. My favorite, The Wolfman w/Lon Chaney Jr, own it on DVD.

How about the Amazing Colossal Man, The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2012
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I saw someone post the original Frankenstein w/Boris Karloff, Love it, own it on DVD. My favorite, The Wolfman w/Lon Chaney Jr, own it on DVD.

How about the Amazing Colossal Man, The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock)

The original Dracula is fantastic and doesn't have a note of musical soundtrack after the opening credits. The original Wolfman w/Lon Jr., the gypsy woman Maria Ouspenyenska or something like that, Bela as her husband, and that babe Evelyn Ankers.

The Amazing Colossal Man was great. I thought The Birds sucked **** and I never did figure out what all the hubbub was about.

The only film in my life I can recall seeing, that had people screaming as they ran out in the middle, praying in the lobby, and performing various other attempts to ward off evil was, The Exorcist.
  • Denon Frank
    Denon Frank Posts: 130
    edited March 2012
    the system recognizes a bogus or ridiculous post. Your post count is still zero.

lol.
    Frank

Polk LSiM 703 mains on Skylan Stands
    Polk LSiM 704c center
    Polk FX500i surrounds
    Parasound 5250 Amp
    Oppo BDP-105 :smile:
    SVS PC Ultra tuned to 16hz
    Panasonic 65" Viera Plasma
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited March 2012
    I resurrected this thread because nobody mentioned "Them".
    Giant mutant ants in LA.
    Special effects not so great but classic sci-fi (1954), for sure.

I gotta give a thumbs up to the Tremors series of movies, too. Not all that old but definitely a classic.

Species is another one.

Best TV series - Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe.
    I liked Startrek and all it's spin offs too.
    And Babylon Five.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited March 2012
    Blade Runner, Dark City, Fifth Element, Outland, T2, Alien, Aliens, 2001...
  • malvrich
    malvrich Posts: 49
    edited March 2012
    Another vote for hands-down ALIEN!
    Yaphet Kotto berserks Ashe?!! Come ON!!
    One of only a handful i have to watch every now and then.
    Absolutely groundbreaking and as good today as in 1979.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2012
    The original post defining the theme.
    ...I'm talking about movies that are at least 40 years old. ...

It really is not that hard to do math. 2012 - 1979 = 33

40 = 2012 - x

x = 2012 - 40

x = 1972

A movie must be made in 1972 or earlier. :rolleyes:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • malvrich
    malvrich Posts: 49
    edited March 2012
    Oh well then my apologies and The Blob.
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited March 2012
    I've seen most of the movies listed above and agree with all the honorable mentions. However, my favorite sci-fi movie when I was a kid (way more than 40 years ago) was "Tobor". Anyone remember this one?
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • cnh
    edited March 2012
    mufsoman wrote: »
    I've seen most of the movies listed above and agree with all the honorable mentions. However, my favorite sci-fi movie when I was a kid (way more than 40 years ago) was "Tobor". Anyone remember this one?

Don't remember this, but I do remember the Japanese TV series spin-off: Tobor the 8th Man?

cnh

• Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited March 2012
    mufsoman wrote: »

I remember watching it as a kid. No one could ever figure out that "Tobor" was "Robot" spelled backwards.

Kind of like Speed Racer when it never occurred to anyone that "Racer X" was (kind of) Rex Racer spelled backwards.

It's such a fine line between clever and STUPID idn't it (Spinal Tap).
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2012
    Didn't notice my fav mentioned so here goes... Kubrick's futuristic tribute to ultraviolence (and Beethoven), A Clockwork Orange. Solidly in my top ten movie fav's...

Terry Gilliam's, mid-80's Brazil also deserves a mention... so I am. Be sure to snag the director's cut for your viewing.

It was good to someone mentioned Colossus: The Forbin Project earlier. Made me think of another that's kinda in the same low-budget, made-for-TV looking vein... The Andromeda Strain. Both are closer to guilty pleasures than classics, but WTH...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2012
    HHStuart wrote: »
    I resurrected this thread because nobody mentioned "Them".
    Giant mutant ants in LA.
    Special effects not so great but classic sci-fi (1954), for sure.
    Hell yes... Missed this one first pass... James Whitmore and a cast of dozens including James Arness IIRC...

Favorite line: "He had enough formic acid in him to kill twenty men." Or something like that...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2012
    A couple more definitely in the classic vein...

The old, Gene Barry War of the Worlds... screechy heat rays and all...

Day of the Triffids - old school B&W plants from outer space.

The old, Rod Taylor Time Machine featuring a very young Yvette Mimieux as Weena... Never did figure out who did her hair...
    MV5BMTk5NTkwNDYyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTA4MjU2._V1._CR68,0,284,284_SS99_.jpg

Lastly another H.G.Wells storyline, First Men in the Moon. Campy, fun little flick...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Ne0
    Ne0 Posts: 11
    edited May 2012
    Hands down fav Classic Sci-fi movies (in no specific order):
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
    War of the Worlds (1953)
    Forbidden Planet (1956)

Fav sci-fi comedy:
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Fave modern sci-fi flicks:
    The Matrix Trilogy (1999-2003)
    Transformers (1986)
    Dovahkiin: Fus ro DAH!
    Guard: I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Guard: Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!"Don't think you are, know you are." - Morpheus, The Matrix (1999)
    "Do not try to bend the spoon ? that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon."- Boy "Hopeful", The Matrix (1999)"Until the day... 'til all are one..." - Optimus Prime, The Transformers (1986)