Favorite classic sci-fi movie

Options
Sci-fi Polk Guy
Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
edited May 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Hi guys!! I'm sure that this has been asked a jillion times, but I'd like to know what your favorite classic sci-fi movie is. I really like a bunch of them, but two of my favorites are Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still (the one that starred Michael Rennie). BTW, when I say "classic", I'm talking about movies that are at least 40 years old. Also, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could tell me where I can get them. Thanks.
Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
Paradigm SE sub
Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
Panasonic 50" plasma
Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
Parasound HCA 1205A amp
Audioquest Evergreen IC's
Post edited by Sci-fi Polk Guy on

Comments

• Sci-fi Polk Guy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Okay, there is no new movie genre called "classic sci=fi". I meant for it to read "classic sci-fi". OOPS!!
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Plan 9, get movies at Amazon< B&Noble etc.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My favorite has to be the greatest philosophical masterpiece ever made ......... Metropolis !!!!!!!!!!!

What a great movie and totally visionary but since we are talking 40 yrs then my other favorite makes the cut as it was the 1971 totally awesome THX 1138. I think that was another visionary classic with real good points to talk about or argue over

I dont have a clue where to buy the movies you mention but this would make a good favorite classic sci fi movie pic
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have the two titles that I mentioned in my OP. I got Forbidden Planet from J&R, and I got The Day the Earth Stood Still from Wal-Mart, of all places. And, although they aren't quite classics, IMHO, I really like the LOTR trilogy and the Star Wars saga.
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The original version (1951) of The Day The Earth Stood Still. First Sci-fi movie I ever remember watching.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • SharonMP50
    SharonMP50 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Planet of the Apes (1968) for sure would be my fav scifi movie.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited February 2012
    Options
    One of my very favorite SF movies is a little-known film called Silent Running, directed by Douglas Trumbull (who was responsible for much of the SFx in 2001). It is a bit early 1970s earthy-crunchy (yeah... a bit!) and it's essentially a one-man show for Bruce Dern and three little droids who were quite literally the movie technology forebears of R2D2.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Videodrome
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Weird. I just noticed this thread is in the "Testing" forum.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • polkfarmboy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    One of my very favorite SF movies is a little-known film called Silent Running, directed by Douglas Trumbull (who was responsible for much of the SFx in 2001). It is a bit early 1970s earthy-crunchy (yeah... a bit!) and it's essentially a one-man show for Bruce Dern and three little droids who were quite literally the movie technology forebears of R2D2.

I just remember'd that movie and crying as a kid when he had to let the little garden float away into space lol
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I cried as an adult - it's probably a hokey movie, but I remember it as very powerful.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited February 2012
    Options
    +++ on Silent Running.What a great movie.A sleeper for sure.
    Not a big scifi fan.Never even watched a Star Wars movie.And have no desire to.
    But i can watch the heck out of Mystery Science Theater!
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2012
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I cried as an adult - it's probably a hokey movie, but I remember it as very powerful.

I remember that having a "haunting" soundtrack for the time!

But I'd have to go with the originals above.

My absolute favorite as a kid was most certainly The Day the Earth Stood Still. Have a copy.

And then I discovered Forbidden Planet and I was hooked for "life", Sci-fi became a "favorite" genre. Still need to get a DVD copy of this (only have a VHS tape).

I also like the '60s version of the Wells' Time Machine.

And I've seen Metropolis (which of course, gave us C3PO)! An incredible film for the '20s. Nothing can touch it in its time period.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The original Kong.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    Options
    H.G. Wells, Things To Come made in the 30s, and the original The Thing, made in the 50s. Ditto to Forbidden Planet, and the original King Kong.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited February 2012
    Options
    2001 A Space Odyssey, Tron (original)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2012
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    H.G. Wells, Things To Come made in the 30s, and the original The Thing, made in the 50s. Ditto to Forbidden Planet, and the original King Kong.

Things to Come was also ahead of its time! We have a copy in our library.

And how could I forget King Kong! Wow! Truly a classic--the original '30s version, that is.

2001 is certainly a watershed for its period...hard to believe that is now over 40 years old.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Aliens in 70mm on the big screen.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wild in the Streets.
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Love THX1138, Blade Runner, Alien, Forbidden Planet etc.

Try "Quatermass and the Pit" (also known as Five Million Years to Earth), an English movie from 1967 about a object that is discovered while digging a subway extension in London. At first they think it is a German bomb or missle left over from WW2, but it turns out to be something else.

Scared the shnitzel out of me when I was young.

(still does)
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hands down.....Alien.......For "B" movies.....Lifeforce....for the full-frontal nudity,alone(lol).
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hi guys!! I'm pleased to see such a variety of movies mentioned, some of which I've never seen, such as THX 1138 and Metropolis. Do you guys remember Soylent Green, which starred Charlton Heston? Talk about a wild ending!! Any Godzilla fans out there? (I'm not talking about the one starring Matthew Broderick. It was okay, but I'm talking about the old Japanese version.)
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • David R
    David R Posts: 134
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The Unearthly (1957) gave me recurring nightmares as a kid.
    Count Yorga, Vampire took me by suprise.
    Godzilla 1954 I looked over my sholder.
    Alien. Excellent.
    Stargate: Universe best science fiction tv show
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    Panasonic 65" Plasma - Panasonic Blu-ray. Onkyo TX-NR809 RTi A7s fronts - MK CS150s surronds.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Love THX1138, Blade Runner, Alien, Forbidden Planet etc.

Try "Quatermass and the Pit" (also known as Five Million Years to Earth), an English movie from 1967 about a object that is discovered while digging a subway extension in London. At first they think it is a German bomb or missle left over from WW2, but it turns out to be something else.

Scared the shnitzel out of me when I was young.

(still does)

I remember that movie too, Hobbs End was the name of the street it was buried under and that's an old name for the Devil . I just had a look and I google Arthur C Clark to see if I could find it as I thought he wrote the book but found out it was copied from a book he wrote "Childhood's End"

Great thread
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited February 2012
    Options
    "The Matrix" was an instant classic when it came out, but I must also tip my hat to "2001- A Space Odyssey". This film defined special effects for decades and for countless films that followed. Until the digital age took over, the techniques used in 2001 were industry standard.

"The Matrix" was groundbreaking in terms of effects, but also as a SciFi film that was more than just a two hour popcorn ride. To this day, I still find myself searching for the messages layered deeply within the storylines of the three films.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • George Grand
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Any Godzilla fans out there? (I'm not talking about the one starring Matthew Broderick. It was okay, but I'm talking about the old Japanese version.)

I have an ORIGINAL Godzilla t-shirt, and you don't. I also have a spiffy "Godzilla destroying Tokyo" active Christmas tree ornament.

The Changeling was a good story also. Invaders from Mars. Bela as Dracula. Earth vs The Flying Saucers. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. The Beast gets shorted by a young Lee Van Cleef at an amusement park as it's pissing away all the money it stole.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The original Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • wattmeworry
    wattmeworry Posts: 224
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The original Invasion of The Body Snatchers 1956 and for sci-fi comedy Repo Man 1984
  • rkoziol7
    rkoziol7 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I would not be very original saying that Terminator 1 is the greatest sci-fi movie for me.
    rugby odds rugby union league odds rugby odds
  • George Grand
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The system recognizes a bogus or ridiculous post. Your post count is still zero.