Does this Amp wiring diagram look ok to you >

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
This is a 2-channel audio only setup ... No TV, No Home Theater

What we have is a Network Stereo Reciever (shown on top), hooked up to a pair of Power Amps (marked AMP #1 and AMP #2).

The #1 Power Amp will be driving the front speakers, and the #2 Power Amp driving the rear speakers.

RCA interconnects connect from the Rt and Lft "Pre-Out" of the Reciever to the Rt and Lft "Audio-In" of Power Amp #1

Then RCA interconnects connect from the Rt and Lft "Audio-Out" of that same #1 Power Amp to the Rt and Lft "Audio-In" of the #2 Power Amp.

Do you see anything wrong with wiring the Reciever to a pair of Power Amps like this? .... As you can see, the power amp section in the Reciever will not be used to drive the speakers in this type of setup ... It gets to sleep and do nothing :cheesygrin:

Note: The reason I am using this type of setup is that the 2-channel Reciever is rated at 80 w/ch. Had I not used separate Power Amps at all, this 80 w/ch Reciever would need to drive all 4 speakers ... But with this setup, we have a single 100 w/ch Power Amp driving 2 front speakers, and another 100 w/ch Power Amp driving the rear speakers.

In my way of thinking ... it's the same as having a single 200 w/ch Reciever driving all 4 speakers.

AmpWiring.jpg

BTW ... Here is a close-up photo of the Reciever's "Pre-Out" section. I am including this because it is hard seeing it in the diagram I show above:

Since this Reciever also has "Zone 2 Pre-Outs", I guess I could hook the RCA interconnect cable between them and the #2 Power Amp's "Audio-In". I guess this would accomplish the same thing as the wire routing I showed above?

OnkyoTX-8050Pre-Out.jpg
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited May 2012
    I would go with zone 2 to the 2nd amp if ya can run both zones at same time. Simply my opinion just to keep a more diirect route to the amp. Either way should be OK. How's it sound ?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2012
    You could do it either way and it should be fine. Hooking up to Zone2 on of the amps then you may have more options on what zone has what music.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Turbota
    edited May 2012
    chum ... I haven't hooked it up yet. I now have all the components minus the speakers. They should arrive here within the week.

Everyone keeps asking me why I would use 4 speakers on a 2-channel music system. Well, I have a setup in my house in the Philippines that is much like this system I am putting together now. And I just like the sound better with both front and rears running vs just listening to the fronts by themselves.

Go into one of those dance clubs ... They have speakers all over the place. Numerous speakers on the ceiling, speakers on the walls ... there everywhere! And when your there, you hear music coming from all over. Sounds damned good too.

Well, this ain't no dance club system, but running both fronts and rears just sounds more "spacious" to me. Your more surrounded in sound instead of just in front of you.

Anyway ... that's how I feel about it, and I have listened to it both ways.

Everyone has different ideas
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited May 2012
    Here is my modest system in the Philippines ... You can see the front speakers, and 1 of the rear speakers sitting on a 30" stand:

ListeningRoom1.jpg
    2-Channel Audio
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited May 2012
    deleted
    design is where science and art break even.
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited May 2012
    If you are using the digital inputs, these will not output over zone 2. Also, you can not use pure audio mode when zone 2 is enabled. Given that I would probably stick with the set-up you outlined.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited May 2012
    nwohlford wrote: »
    If you are using the digital inputs, these will not output over zone 2. Also, you can not use pure audio mode when zone 2 is enabled. Given that I would probably stick with the set-up you outlined.
    I stand corrected. Thanks. didn't know that.
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2012
    Zone 2's volume control is also not linked to the main volume control, so if you wanted the volume to match each set of speakers, you'd have to adjust the volume twice.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • newrival
    edited May 2012
    Syndil wrote: »
    Zone 2's volume control is also not linked to the main volume control, so if you wanted the volume to match each set of speakers, you'd have to adjust the volume twice.
    this seems ideal to me, otherwise you would be unable to level match. Which you would absolutely want to do
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2012
    True. It could be beneficial. But he does have an input level adjustment on his amps which could also be used.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • newrival
    edited May 2012
    Syndil wrote: »
    True. It could be beneficial. But he does have an input level adjustment on his amps which could also be used.
    ah, excellent point. Then taht would be the way to go, as you could level match once then attenuate volume with one remote.