Suggestions for a center channel, that doesn't have to be a "center"?

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited February 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys, I know this question has been asked in various ways over the years, but thought I'd bring it up again because people's experiences change over time....

So, I'm thinking of building an acoustically transparent screen in my home theater, allowing me to hide my speakers behind the screen. Because of that, I can put any type of speaker in there as a center channel, without worrying about it being too tall and blocking the screen.

I'm thinking of still using my 2.3's as the fronts, or possibly trying my larger SDA-SRS's instead. Either way, I'll be using mains with sl2000/rdo-194 tweeters.

I have seen people recommend the CS350LS, CS400i, CSI-A6, or CS1000p. However, those are all traditional small-sized center speakers. I was thinking a larger "front" speaker in place of the center might work better...

Perhaps a Monitor 10, an rta-11t or rta-15t, or one of the other speakers in the vintage monitor line? Will I not get enough horizontal dispersion from a vertical speaker, and I should just stick with a "traditional" horizontal form-factor center channel?
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• maandjojo
    maandjojo Posts: 293
    edited February 2012
    Just a suggestion. Why not go with a pair of CRS+ and run them with a separate amp. I wouldn't use the interconnect, it won't be needed. That would work real well.

Joe
    Joe
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2012
    maandjojo wrote: »
    Just a suggestion. Why not go with a pair of CRS+ and run them with a separate amp. I wouldn't use the interconnect, it won't be needed. That would work real well.

Joe

I do have a pair of CRS+ already, so I suppose I could try it. I was thinking a tower might work better though...

Any other opinions on the matter?
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited February 2012
    Since the tweeter is what is used to localize the center speaker to the display, I would not think you would need to worry much about the placement of the rest of the drivers, horizontal or vertical. I would assume that most center channels are horizontal for placement reasons rather than acoustic.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited February 2012
    Not answering the specific question but I have seen a setup where all 5 speakers were same.
    JBL CF120s for fronts, center and surround and another one with Klipsch Heresy's for everything.
    So, I guess anything works. :rolleyes:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2012
    The CRS+'s with the SRS's are a match made in heaven.

Look no further. You have em and they can hang with the big boys too.

That would be an awsome front stage!

PS. The CS1000P doesn't quite fit the small center catagory if you ask anybody who has seen one..:biggrin:
    I had mine turned sideways before placing it up on a shelf and a friend of mine asked what kind of towers did I get. Real story.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2012
    It sounds like the votes are going towards the CRS+'s....

About the CS1000p - Yeah, I agree, they don't really fit the bill of "small center". But they're tough to find in good condition... actually in any condition!
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2012
    DSkip - I agree that if I only used one CRS+, it would be using only half the drivers. However, if I mono signal to a pair of them, I think I could use both with the interconnect cable, making all of the drivers work...

I might just have to do some trial and error to see what sounds best. Just thought I'd see what other people had already tried...
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    DSkip wrote: »
    I like the OP's idea better. Using the CRS's, you're not using the SDA effect and really only getting use out of half the drivers, correct? I would think the M10/11, RTA12, or any other Polk non-SDA towers would be better. I'd also think one with either vertical drivers or horizontal drivers using a cascaded crossover (something like later RTA12's) would theoretically give you the best SQ.
    I vote for experimentation, but I'm thinking a single vintage Monitor would kick butt.
  • C. Williams
    C. Williams Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    I use a monitor 5 as a center kicks butt