Why you dont mess with IT Professionals, especially if your their child...

Options

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2012
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure he just said that he was because he wanted to impress people. :rolleyes: God knows IT guys are sooooo interesting.

No we're not.

And actually, now that I look back, the creator of the video never once called himself an IT Pro. I don't know where the OP got the idea that he was an IT Pro but it seems to have started with him.

Sorry for not taking it lightly when an ignorant post bags on my chosen profession.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2012
    Options
    They're never wrong, either.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited February 2012
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    let me be blunt. I'm no baby your kid kind of guy. But that was one weird public display.
    Go home, take the computer and toys. Tell her why and what needs to change to make things right.
    A bit of yelling is fine. Public hissy fit online and shooting the laptop? The real problem is most likely
    she's just as hot headed and stubborn as he is.

Yep.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    No we're not.

And actually, now that I look back, the creator of the video never once called himself an IT Pro. I don't know where the OP got the idea that he was an IT Pro but it seems to have started with him.

Sorry for not taking it lightly when an ignorant post bags on my chosen profession.

I may have to watch it again but I do swear I heard him say something to that effect in the opening minute or two......

If not the exact words "IT Professional" it was something atune to works in the IT field, or works in computers........
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2012
    Options
    "I would have thought, that with a father who works in IT for a living, you would've had better sense than..."

Makes a living working in IT. IT is his profession. Ergo: IT Professional.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2012
    Options

I can understand that.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2012
    Options

No offense was intended with this post.

P.S. I work in IT myself.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2012
    Options

If it helps, I hated you way before I knew you were in IT. I blame the Jersey Shore. Not sure why though.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2012
    Options
    deleted:double post
    design is where science and art break even.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2012
    Options
    who spends money on upgrading software? And a real IT nerd would reuse a decent laptop somehow. I would use it right in her face everyday.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Good for him. Although a single #8 shotgun round would have accomplished the same thing, for lot less $$$:wink:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I find it kinda funny myself, a good IT guy could fix that laptop... ;-)
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I guess he's taught her to blow something away every time you get pissed off. It reminds me of that Direct TV ad about the guy stuck with cable and the daughter emulates him and ends up with a baby with a studded collar. She'll probably end up like that.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2012
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    let me be blunt. I'm no baby your kid kind of guy. But that was one weird public display.
    Go home, take the computer and toys. Tell her why and what needs to change to make things right.
    A bit of yelling is fine. Public hissy fit online and shooting the laptop? The real problem is most likely
    she's just as hot headed and stubborn as he is.
    Agreed, I am not too sure which century this beast comes from and I have a pretty good idea where the teanage got the attitude. This is not child discipline, this is a man loosing it! As far as I am concerned, their might be a lot more serious drama in that family in the future (who's gone kill who?).
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Being in IT myself, I would lock **** down just as Jstas said. The laptop stays in the house for her to do homework on...period...end of story! Get a laptop cable and lock it to the desk. It does not leave the house! Block Facebook for that computer via the firewall. No way I would have shot the thing. That was downright idiotic of him! What an example to set...ROARRRR, i'm Mr. Badass with my .45! Gives respectful gun owners a bad name. Nice job douchebag!
    No excuses!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2012
    Options
    A search on the name finds a guy who looks like him (small photo).
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/tommyjordan
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2012
    Options
    This video is humorous but this is a sign of someone who has lost control...

If anything I would say the daughter has won and to top of it off I see the next video being about a grandchild... ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I would think he has lost some control of the kid. I discipline USMC style, you get in their face and go off. No need to shoot the laptop or put their family business on Facebook. If he felt the need to shoot it up and make a video, so be it. Some parents like to get the idea and point across differently. I'd support him either way though, cause he does have valid reason.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Youtube is madness. He states Feb 7, 2012 and the video already has near 3 mil views. WOW!!!
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Youtube is madness. He states Feb 7, 2012 and the video already has near 3 mil views. WOW!!!

It was posted on Gizmodo and is currently on the front page of Fox News lol. When I posted the video last night it was at 49k.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Guy is smarter than we think... I am sure he is making some money off those views ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited February 2012
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Looks like sissy-pants forgot who was paying the bills. Many in the "entitlement generation" could use a similar boot up there ****, IMO.

X2...
    Most don't have a clue OR care where the funds come from. I agree they think the're entitled too. I've lived it.

I was told by my step-daughter it's my duty to send her through college at my expense. I worked my ars off to get where I was even though my parents didn't do hardly anything for me growing up, I didn't feel I had to spend my hard earned, and I mean HARD earned money to make life better for my wifes' kid. Years after I did help her out, I got a painful illness called a frozen shoulder. This young girl never once asked if she could do anything to help me or even send a get well card or balloon or sh8t. A year and a half of hell and where is she...helping some other strangers around this planet.
    Oh, she lives three miles from us...

Who's teaching these kids this ingratitude the past 20 years or more? It's wide-spread I tell ya!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Those were examples of what can be done, not ALL the things that can be done.

I know how to lock down a BIOS so you can't get in and even if you can you can't change the device boot order. I can lock down CD/DVD drives, floppy drives and external hard drives. I even know how to lock down a boot sector. I can also disable USB ports easily. And again, if I want to keep her from circumventing things with an express card, she'll have very poor luck since my router is already locked down with a MAC address whitelist. She might be able to do the stuff you say but she won't be using my network to do it. If her new MAC is not in my allowed table, she gets no connection, not even to the wireless network let alone the Internet. She have a good time trying to hack the router but since it's Linux based, she won't get in and neither will her friends. If she's going to go some place else and do it then she'll be bettered served using what ever equipment she finds there instead of her own because all my local measures will still be in place unless she was able to circumvent them. The only way she could possibly do that is to buy a new hard drive and wireless adapter but even then, she wouldn't be able to get past the BIOS restrictions to get the new equipment working right unless she knew what jumpers to use to flash the ROM that the BIOS is stored on and reset it.
    It's not even that difficult. You can simply unplug the CMOS battery for a few seconds to reset it. It's usually right under the keyboard or a bottom plate; in other words, very easy to access. He/she could then boot to a USB flash drive, hard drive or even a WinPE CD/DVD at that point and do what he/she wants.

I also think you underestimate some of these young computer geeks, and that is to your detriment. Linux can be more secure than Windows, sure. However, Linux will never be 100% secure, nor will any operating system. There will always be security holes, and they can all be hacked in one way or another.
    I'm not going to go in to advanced system security topics just because some putz from Texas has a massive chip on his shoulder and a hard on for me. I make my living locking down systems and limiting stupid users in what they can and can't do to not only protect the networks they work on but also themselves. I have yet to meet any "bright kid" that can match the skills of people who actively work in environments where they are tasked with combating professional criminals trying to crack your security and take your stuff daily.
    I've done my share of IT as well. The difference between you and me is that your ego clearly outweighs any of your actual knowledge or skill. A good IT person (or human in general), knows that they don't know everything. I certainly don't, and you don't either. However, I've never seen you admit to being wrong on anything, and doubt you are even capable of doing so. That says a lot more about you than it does about me. In fact, I even remember you stating on another thread that you "are never wrong and never will be." Not only is that a load of crap, but it's a pathetic attitude to have.
    And no, I wouldn't have to check on it on a regular basis. You have information cached and uploaded to the server where it's scanned and pertinent incident info is sent via SMTP to a specific address, like my cellphone, with notifications that there is an incident that needs attention. Since I have an SSH client on my cellphone I can get in to my server securely, check the logs and even act on the incidents while, I dunno, riding the train to work or maybe sitting in my seat at the stadium watching a ball game.
    I believe that falls under checking things on a regular basis. However, as you said, there are other options than your own network and they are prevalent in this day and age. I'm willing to bet there are open wi-fi routers around your neighborhood that your child could easily access. In addition, if she or her friends have a cell phone, they could easily tether through that. So, unless you actually do check his/her laptop on a regular basis, you will not know everything he/she does on there. That's assuming she doesn't boot to an external drive that you don't know about.
    It's 2012. Somebody, somewhere, is watching you, always. Welcome to the modern world.
    Of course. Anyone who thinks they really have privacy anymore is simply deluding themselves.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wow.

Unplugging the CMOS battery won't erase the BIOS. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could but not anymore. They are written on NVMPROM (Non-Volatile Programmable Read Only Memory) which means cutting power won't erase them. In fact, good luck finding that battery you speak of!

I don't underestimate anyone. People underestimate me all the time though.

I make a pretty good living at IT. I don't have "a little under my belt". I have a great deal under my belt. It's not ego, it's the truth. I know a good deal about my profession. Obviously more than you do.

And, for all you **** crybabies, I don't admit I'm wrong because if there is a topic that I do not know enough about I do this novel thing and keep my mouth shut. I know, that's unheard of on Club Polk but it happens! You just don't realize it because out of sight, out of mind. Lately though, when some keyboard commando challenges me, I've found that excessive sarcasm and patronization shuts people up real quick. The ones that don't, well trolling seems to be effective as well. So when I do post, I post about things that I actually know about. I realize that it may be difficult to comprehend that but it works out pretty good! The only problem is that mental midgets think you're cocky, arrogant and basically a jerk. Don't believe me? Go ahead, look around, how many technical threads there are that I haven't posted in at all. I'll save you the effort. There's BUNCHES!

As far as being never wrong, you're an idiot. It was tongue in cheek. Satire (that's humor for intelligent people). If you think ANYONE is that arrogant to think that and actually SAY it, wow, you have some serious social issues.

But man, I guess you told me, huh? I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now. I don't know if I'll be able to go on! Tomorrow is another day...hopefully. :sad: *sob*
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2012
    Options
    And, for all you **** crybabies, I don't admit I'm wrong because if there is a topic that I do not know enough about I do this novel thing and keep my mouth shut.

Good philosophy. A wise man once said something like "Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at" :smile:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I love it, kudos to the dad. We need more like him.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wow.

Unplugging the CMOS battery won't erase the BIOS. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could but not anymore. They are written on NVMPROM (Non-Volatile Programmable Read Only Memory) which means cutting power won't erase them. In fact, good luck finding that battery you speak of!
    It seems you are correct on this. The battery is now only used to keep the real-time clock going on most modern systems. I admit that I was wrong on this, as I am capable of admitting to my errors. So, yes, the jumper would need to be found; however, that would be very easy with the aid of a Google search. Or, with Dell, they have all their service manuals accessible online for free.
    I don't underestimate anyone. People underestimate me all the time though.

I make a pretty good living at IT. I don't have "a little under my belt". I have a great deal under my belt. It's not ego, it's the truth. I know a good deal about my profession. Obviously more than you do.
    And, I'm sure you believe all of that...
    And, for all you **** crybabies, I don't admit I'm wrong because if there is a topic that I do not know enough about I do this novel thing and keep my mouth shut. I know, that's unheard of on Club Polk but it happens! You just don't realize it because out of sight, out of mind. Lately though, when some keyboard commando challenges me, I've found that excessive sarcasm and patronization shuts people up real quick. The ones that don't, well trolling seems to be effective as well. So when I do post, I post about things that I actually know about. I realize that it may be difficult to comprehend that but it works out pretty good! The only problem is that mental midgets think you're cocky, arrogant and basically a jerk. Don't believe me? Go ahead, look around, how many technical threads there are that I haven't posted in at all. I'll save you the effort. There's BUNCHES!
    I've seen a few cases where others have proved you wrong, but you were unable to admit it. I really don't believe that you are capable of doing so.
    As far as being never wrong, you're an idiot. It was tongue in cheek. Satire (that's humor for intelligent people). If you think ANYONE is that arrogant to think that and actually SAY it, wow, you have some serious social issues.
    If you were actually trying to be tongue-in-cheek on that post, you clearly need to work on improving that area of your writing skills. The way you wrote it came off in a completely serious manner. I believe you really were serious, and are now backpedaling in an attempt to save face. Your manner of writing on this boards consistently points to you being that arrogant. If I were the only one here who thought this, I'd admit fault. However, many people have called you out on it, so clearly it is an issue on your end.
    But man, I guess you told me, huh? I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now. I don't know if I'll be able to go on! Tomorrow is another day...hopefully. :sad: *sob*
    See, now that was clearly tongue-in-cheek, unlike your other claimed usage of it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Lots of oppinions out there about his poor parenting skills/embarassing her publicly and how he should have took the computer away versus killing it, the way I see it a little embarassment may well be the best punishment of all, it certainly isn't going to scar her for life. He bought the PC if he chooses to shoot it versus giving it away or selling it that's his decision to make, was it a little dramatic and over the top? sure but it is his to do whatever he wants to with.

I will have to agree with Jesse on this one the man is a hero in my eyes for having the balls to be a parental figure rather than her best friend. Some perhaps even most kids these day have no respect for their parents and for good reason. What she does or doesn't learn now will effect her the rest of her life either positive or negative and this was a much needed learning experience.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    Options
    bruss wrote: »
    who spends money on upgrading software?
    My thoughts exactly... for the laptops my kids have for school and personal internet use (priorities not necessarily in that order), I've never bought a dime's worth of additional software.