Why you dont mess with IT Professionals, especially if your their child...

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
edited February 2012 in The Clubhouse
This is my favorite video of the year so far. Its worth watching in its entirety. If you want to just see the really good part start at about 7

[video=youtube_share;kl1ujzRidmU]http://youtu.be/kl1ujzRidmU[/video]
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2012
    Options
    LOL! There's wisdom for all teenagers in that video!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Is it legal to shoot your gun out in the open like that?
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If he really was an IT professional, he wouldn't have needed to use a gun to stop her from using the laptop...or Facebook or anything else on a computer for that matter. But hey, tomato, tomato...there' always the library. They have the Internet for free there.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited February 2012
    Options
    DMara wrote: »

You're in Texas... isn't it? :smile:
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited February 2012
    Options
    DMara wrote: »

As a free man in a free country who is not hurting anyone else, why not?
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    If he really was an IT professional, he wouldn't have needed to use a gun to stop her from using the laptop...or Facebook or anything else on a computer for that matter. But hey, tomato, tomato...there' always the library. They have the Internet for free there.

Eh, I think it was him trying to make a point in a very ridiculous fashion and I would say it worked lol. Just blocking the site on her computer, or even taking it away doesnt make NEARLY the point as blowing it to pieces, though I would have enjoyed it more if it was Mythbusters style with putting some exploding targets underneath it :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited February 2012
    Options
    He could have just sold it. What a waste, and seems just as immature itself.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I suspect they aren't getting along very well. Most likely he's got a few issues as well.
    His response was over the top, and in your face. Sell the laptop, and talk to her.
    Shooting it up after that long winded video- let's say they both need to calm down and
    come back to earth. We all have thought about doing something like that to make a point.
    But going through with it? I'm sure he's a real charmer to work with.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Good idea, maybe not the greatest execution.

I'm still on the dad's side.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wah wah wah. This is what's wrong with parents today. They don't want their kids to be mad at them. You're the damn parent, not their BFF, start acting like one. Now we have a generation of self-entitled green ribbon little **** because of it.

He warned her before when something similar happened that consequences would be greater the next time around, I think he got the point across.

Good idea, maybe not the greatest execution.

I like your choice of words...since he did put a few rounds through a laptop...lol.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • concealer404
    edited February 2012
    Options
    He missed with one, too. Pretty sad.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Some of the videos on Youtube show a preview of the laptop aftermath. But I can't find any photo or a response from the daughter. Just want to see how much of a whiner she is. Maybe that's bad of me.

Cheers to the dad. I would have sold it though.

Teach your kids a good work ethic while they're young.
    2 Thes. 3:10, For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat. "
  • concealer404
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Some of the videos on Youtube show a preview of the laptop aftermath. But I can't find any photo or a response from the daughter. Just want to see how much of a whiner she is. Maybe that's bad of me.

Cheers to the dad. I would have sold it though.

Teach your kids a good work ethic while they're young.
    2 Thes. 3:10, "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: ?The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.? "

There won't be any replies from the daughter... she no longer has a laptop, remember? :lol:

• Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Eh, I think it was him trying to make a point in a very ridiculous fashion and I would say it worked lol. Just blocking the site on her computer, or even taking it away doesnt make NEARLY the point as blowing it to pieces, though I would have enjoyed it more if it was Mythbusters style with putting some exploding targets underneath it :smile:

Who said anything about blocking Facebook?

If she's on MY network, I can make her system see and do whatever I want, even when I'm not there. She types in Facebook.com and it jumps to a YouTube video of Dennis Nedry saying "Ah ah ahhhh! You didn't say the magic word!". Hell, a simple port redirect on the router for her system and it would go to a website for a convent that accepts wayward girls and nothing else. Just trigger on MAC address and limit the Internet access to a singular port for that MAC address and redirect the outbound port when ever her laptop his the network.

Since I'm the IT professional, I'd take away her laptop, back it all up and re-image it with an Administrator account, take her account, make it a super user and lock out all the stuff she can change to circumvent it. Hide all the folders, put a keystroke logger on, a net nanny and a monitoring agent that reports back to my main server...which is likely running Linux or UNIX, something most stupid users can't figure out and could never break in to in a million years. I could also set up a group policy server that makes sure her laptop cannot connect to any other network but mine so that all my rules and blockades are in full effect all the time. That would ensure that she wasn't jumping on my neighbor's unsecured network.

She could have her laptop but I'd lock it down to just a tool for school work. The ONLY way she could get on would be to go to a friends house and use their computers or the library. But then again, since she's a minor, you can have Facebook do things to her account which limit her interaction and even require certain things to have parental approval. Facebook will also give a parent an admin password to the minor's site so they can make sure the minor isn't doing anything stupid.

Yeah, Quickdraw McGraw there is decidedly NOT an IT professional. Besides the torture that all my shenanigans would put her through would be sheer sadistically, gleeful pleasure! Every time she her and one of her sophomoric friends would think they'd have stupid old dad beat, they just hit another trap. They'd never get past all of it and I'd get a ton of recorded entertainment out of it with my loggers and monitors. I could also even set up the camera to come on and start recording their faces to watch the expressions when their **** dad got the best of them yet again.

Yeah, a REAL IT pro can destroy you without any physical contact of any kind.

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It's a funny clip, but what is the guy really teaching his daughter? When you're pissed . . . break it. When you're angry . . . a gun is a good option.

I have my license to carry in Ohio and Indiana. This guy is not exercising his second amendment right.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There won't be any replies from the daughter... she no longer has a laptop, remember? :lol:

She still has an iPhone, a camera, and friends with Internet. She could even go to the library if she knows how to find and use one.
  • concealer404
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Joke. ;)

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    Options
    As a free man in a free country who is not hurting anyone else, why not?

I shot an arrow into the air, and where it lands I do not care.

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/5146767
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Who said anything about blocking Facebook?

If she's on MY network, I can make her system see and do whatever I want, even when I'm not there. She types in Facebook.com and it jumps to a YouTube video of Dennis Nedry saying "Ah ah ahhhh! You didn't say the magic word!". Hell, a simple port redirect on the router for her system and it would go to a website for a convent that accepts wayward girls and nothing else. Just trigger on MAC address and limit the Internet access to a singular port for that MAC address and redirect the outbound port when ever her laptop his the network.

Since I'm the IT professional, I'd take away her laptop, back it all up and re-image it with an Administrator account, take her account, make it a super user and lock out all the stuff she can change to circumvent it. Hide all the folders, put a keystroke logger on, a net nanny and a monitoring agent that reports back to my main server...which is likely running Linux or UNIX, something most stupid users can't figure out and could never break in to in a million years. I could also set up a group policy server that makes sure her laptop cannot connect to any other network but mine so that all my rules and blockades are in full effect all the time. That would ensure that she wasn't jumping on my neighbor's unsecured network.

She could have her laptop but I'd lock it down to just a tool for school work. The ONLY way she could get on would be to go to a friends house and use their computers or the library. But then again, since she's a minor, you can have Facebook do things to her account which limit her interaction and even require certain things to have parental approval. Facebook will also give a parent an admin password to the minor's site so they can make sure the minor isn't doing anything stupid.

Yeah, Quickdraw McGraw there is decidedly NOT an IT professional. Besides the torture that all my shenanigans would put her through would be sheer sadistically, gleeful pleasure! Every time she her and one of her sophomoric friends would think they'd have stupid old dad beat, they just hit another trap. They'd never get past all of it and I'd get a ton of recorded entertainment out of it with my loggers and monitors. I could also even set up the camera to come on and start recording their faces to watch the expressions when their **** dad got the best of them yet again.

Yeah, a REAL IT pro can destroy you without any physical contact of any kind.
    Sure, but you would also have to check it on a regular basis. It's not terribly hard to get around any of those things for someone with a bit of computer knowledge. Even if your child didn't have the knowledge, chances are s/he knows someone who does. A simple OS reinstall (or even a dual-boot with hidden menu) and spoofing of the MAC address would get around your security quite easily. Or, even easier than MAC address spoofing, an addon USB or expresscard wi-fi adapter.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2012
    Options
    yea...and where's the fun of working on a computer when you can shoot it?
    -Cody
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited February 2012
    Options
    +1 exalted512
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Looks like sissy-pants forgot who was paying the bills. Many in the "entitlement generation" could use a similar boot up there ****, IMO.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited February 2012
    Options
    We have only heard one side of the story. This guy doesn't look like a sincere dad. He doesn't talk like an IT pro. His story is quite blah blah blah. Also I felt like he's hiding the "step-mom" factor, only mentioning that once. So the kid might be living in a hellhole due to that "step-mom" factor, who knows. I'm against humiliating your loved ones like what he did.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited February 2012
    Options
    God Bless that man.

Your kids aren't your friends they are a responsibility. I am glad he did that. Probably could have done something less destructive but sometimes hard lessons need to be learned.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2012
    Options
    "Why you dont mess with IT Professionals, especially if your their child... "

You're.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2012
    Options
    let me be blunt. I'm no baby your kid kind of guy. But that was one weird public display.
    Go home, take the computer and toys. Tell her why and what needs to change to make things right.
    A bit of yelling is fine. Public hissy fit online and shooting the laptop? The real problem is most likely
    she's just as hot headed and stubborn as he is.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Family issues aside, it amazes me that we need to TELL kids to chores these days.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Options
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    Sure, but you would also have to check it on a regular basis. It's not terribly hard to get around any of those things for someone with a bit of computer knowledge. Even if your child didn't have the knowledge, chances are s/he knows someone who does. A simple OS reinstall (or even a dual-boot with hidden menu) and spoofing of the MAC address would get around your security quite easily. Or, even easier than MAC address spoofing, an addon USB or expresscard wi-fi adapter.

Those were examples of what can be done, not ALL the things that can be done.

I know how to lock down a BIOS so you can't get in and even if you can you can't change the device boot order. I can lock down CD/DVD drives, floppy drives and external hard drives. I even know how to lock down a boot sector. I can also disable USB ports easily. And again, if I want to keep her from circumventing things with an express card, she'll have very poor luck since my router is already locked down with a MAC address whitelist. She might be able to do the stuff you say but she won't be using my network to do it. If her new MAC is not in my allowed table, she gets no connection, not even to the wireless network let alone the Internet. She have a good time trying to hack the router but since it's Linux based, she won't get in and neither will her friends. If she's going to go some place else and do it then she'll be bettered served using what ever equipment she finds there instead of her own because all my local measures will still be in place unless she was able to circumvent them. The only way she could possibly do that is to buy a new hard drive and wireless adapter but even then, she wouldn't be able to get past the BIOS restrictions to get the new equipment working right unless she knew what jumpers to use to flash the ROM that the BIOS is stored on and reset it.

I'm not going to go in to advanced system security topics just because some putz from Texas has a massive chip on his shoulder and a hard on for me. I make my living locking down systems and limiting stupid users in what they can and can't do to not only protect the networks they work on but also themselves. I have yet to meet any "bright kid" that can match the skills of people who actively work in environments where they are tasked with combating professional criminals trying to crack your security and take your stuff daily.

And no, I wouldn't have to check on it on a regular basis. You have information cached and uploaded to the server where it's scanned and pertinent incident info is sent via SMTP to a specific address, like my cellphone, with notifications that there is an incident that needs attention. Since I have an SSH client on my cellphone I can get in to my server securely, check the logs and even act on the incidents while, I dunno, riding the train to work or maybe sitting in my seat at the stadium watching a ball game.

It's 2012. Somebody, somewhere, is watching you, always. Welcome to the modern world.

• newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Quickdraw McGraw there is decidedly NOT an IT professional.

Yeah, I'm sure he just said that he was because he wanted to impress people. :rolleyes: God knows IT guys are sooooo interesting.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2012
    Options
    yea...but shooting it is still more fun :)
    -Cody