Video switching...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
This is a curosity question. After alot of reading it seems to be a 50/50 split. Do you do all your video switching at your television or do you allow your receiver to have total control of your video switching. Me personally, I allow my receiver to do the switching for me. Alot of other people I've spoke with said they seem to get better picture quality running there video inputs to the television and they're audio to the receiver but seems to me price of cables will go through the roof do to having to run multiple cables to your television. I mean why else would you buy a receiver with all your inputs they come with especially with alot of the newer receivers having video up conversion. Has anyone tried running just your audio to the receiver and the video to the television and come out with better results. Once my Denon 3805 comes in I may try this just to see the results, hell, I'll have everything torn apart anyways.:D
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    With a FP I'm limited to 1 configuration, but it works great. I think that in some cases a receiver/preamp could introduce some video noise but most people wouldn't notice anything. Generaly speaking, keeping the video and power cables seperated can make a difference, especially if the video cables are the poor quality cables supplied with the electronic gear.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    I run directly to the TV because why introduce 1 more step into the process. This is much like the advice I received from Russ regarding digital coax verse TOSLinks... why add another coversion process?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    after all, that's why my receiver has 5 or more video inputs.. i choose to go through my receiver, My tv is a few years old and has 2 inputs only.. I don't have a system in which im so critical that i can tell the difference ... That's just me though :)

Makes it easier with the denon, i turn on a video source and it will play any of them through one S-video cable.. No changing inputs on the TV, video1, video2, 3 , 4, so on, I switch on dvd, its there.. i switch on vcr or cable/dvr box its there..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2004
    I run Three Component gear pieces, my TV has hookup for only two of the three so I do both!!

I could not vote because no option for both:( .
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited March 2004
    Well how do you get the moderator to add "both". Sorry about that, never even crossed my mind that some people use both.:)
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Given the distance to my TV, using the AVR makes the most sense.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • PPuleo
    PPuleo Posts: 9
    edited March 2004
    Yeah, I upgraged my receiver to be able to handle the video (HDTV) through it with a Denon 2803 ( 100mhz). The TV is a 55" Mitsuibishi , and frankly I was disappointed with the video through the receiver. Now keep in mind that the video through TV is phenommenal, crisp, sharp detail, and through the reveiver it was noticably softer. I spent big money for a super picture, so..... I'm back splitting the video and audio coming out of the cable box. Even this way, I'm very pleased with the Denon and its abilities. Pictures on system showcase.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2004
    I only have a DVD player, so switching thru my AVR would be silly. I use HDTV on Component input, from the cable box...and the DVD on S-Video. The AVR does not perform upconversion at that level, so direct to TV again is the better idea for me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited March 2004
    In regards to cable costs, don't you actually need more cables to run through your AVR. Components from the AVR to the monitor, and also from all the respective sources to the AVR. More $ on cables vs. direct to monitor is why I do not use my AVR.
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited March 2004
    I use both as well. My AVR does not have DVI switching so it goes directly to the TV. Everything else is switched by the AVR.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    I use both as well. Everything I have needs component inputs (DVD, HDTV, XBox, GameCube) and my TV only has 2 inputs, so I send some through the receiver and some to the TV. But now I have more things to plug in than I have inputs, so I may need to get an external conponent video switch.

The Denon has a 100mhz bandwith sending the video signal, so there is not much loss going through the reciever. With anything less than HDTV (1080i, 720p), there shouldn't be any loss with a video signal, so going through the amp is probably the nicest way to go (I have a big annoying delay in switching the video through the TV, so I would perfer using the amp).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited April 2004
    I tried using the component in/out of my Denon 5803A and went back to using the TV. I had my TV calibrated on each input for DVD, HD, etc... With each device requiring a different brightness, contrast, color... setting, I found I couldn't run all of them through one input on the TV. My HD was too dark, my SD satellite was too bright and my DVD looked perfect since the receiver's output was on the calibrated input on the TV that was set for the DVD.

Other than that, the signal was fine and I didn't notice any loss, noise, etc. Sure was nice having it hooked up, though. It upconverted my s-video to component with no loss in quality, etc.
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2004
    I go through my avr but since my tv isn't crazy good like most of you peoples' I probably won't be able to tell the difference.... but hey I'll have to try going straight to my tv today and maybe I will get a better picture...
  • movieguy
    movieguy Posts: 64
    edited April 2004
    just my own experience but i tried both ways and had a much better picture hooking up video directly to the tv and audio directly to the amp, kind of a pain having to switch inputs on both units , but was worth it in my case.