Another Bites The Dust, Uh Huh

Options
2»

Comments

• warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I feel that svs did this to them selfs. People hear about how great the sub is and they assume that it does not have its limits. Maybe they should design it so that it starts distorting more at higher hz so that people wont break them.:rolleyes: Its SVS not Superman. Ohh wait Superman got killed too.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by warviper
    I feel that svs did this to them selfs. People hear about how great the sub is and they assume that it does not have its limits. Maybe they should design it so that it starts distorting more at higher hz so that people wont break them.:rolleyes: Its SVS not Superman. Ohh wait Superman got killed too.
    Hmmm, I assume then that you've heard of this happening often?

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,073
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I assume you have heard of surrounds dislocating often?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hmmm, I assume then that you've heard of this happening often?

What? People playing there music too loud and beyond the limitaion of the gear and breaking it ,yea I have heard of it happening before. Sid the sub was rocking when you got it. It blew your mind away then it got broken. Just do what you want to do with it. My guess is that you will put blame on equipment failure and niether you or your father had anything to do with it. Maybe SVS will send out a new driver and then you and your old man can sell the old one on Ebay and label it good as new with slight cosmetic damages.

EDIT:
    This is only my opinion.:D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Finest 12'' driver in the world *cough cough*.,,, couldnt outlast a **** M&K driver... haha This is absolutely hilarious....

Sean, if you knew even 1/2 the R&D and engineering that went into that driver......man that was a really low blow.

That driver surround ripped because it was repeatedly over-driven. The TV-12 has a peak to peak excursion of nearly 3" and a 10-layer underhung VC that can handle several thousand watts of power short term. Most people that wreck the TV-12 overdrive the suspension and one of three things happen - the VC smashes into the back plate, the spiders tear, or the suround rips.

The reason the M&K didn't break over all these years is because subs like that limit power to the driver and lop off the entire bottom octave. The TV-12 can probably move 4-5X the amount of air that single M&K driver can. That sub has genuine 15-16 Hz extension and the amount of air it can move is enormous. Because SVS doesn't pull any punches with the design, they expect the owner to be an integral part of safe and sensible operation.

SVS expects the owner to be the limiter in the equation. They don't have limiters in the amp, and they size the amp so it will drive the woofer to full capability IF the sub is properly calibrated and operated within its limits.

I already told Sid (referenced above) the warning signs when a woofer is being overdriven. Most can recognize early warning signs, but one incident of bottoming should be IT and it should never occur again. Consistently over driving the sub by overcalibration and too high of a Master Volume setting for that size room is simply user error - the only "joke" here is Sid's dad, not the PC-Ultra.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    100% agreed.

So when the sub is over-driven the surround will come lose.

Makes sense.

Thanks for clearing it up. But basically you can fix that.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Other alternatives ... One that wasn't quite up to par slipped by QA ... It was treated rougher than normal in shipping ... who knows.
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    EDITED
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sid this is just like every thing else on this forum it is only the opinion of individuals. This is just my personal opinion. No need to tell anyone to **** off, its just a word like any other word. I will edit my post and state that this is only my version of the story. The way that I see it. Share your opinions on the forum thats why it here. Cant care less what you think of me that is your right to feel the way you do, just like it is my right to feel the way I do.
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    EDITED
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Attack? If you feel that its an attack call the cops. LOL Silly you so silly
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, Lets just let this one die.

As Russ Said -- Club Polk keeps on slippin slippin
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

Club Polk keeps on slippin slippin

Only if "we" let it..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    But isnt it strange the surround came unglued?

I mean even it was played beyong its limits? I dont understand why it would come unglued before the voice coil blows?

I mean the voice is smooth as butter.

Looks defective to me. I've owned lots of 12 and 15 inch woofers for my cars and never seen one do that, even when pushed really hard. I'm sure his dad did push it, but IMO that shouldn't be enough to make the cone seperate from the surround.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2004
    Options
    when i was first in to car audio i got this sales man who just wanted to make a sale said i could bridge my car amp on a mtx blue thunder i distroyed 6 of them in 2 months i never saw the suround get messed up. maybe it is these new hi excurson subs put differen stresses on the surounds also saw a cone come off a vc but that is the first.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    or maybe it's just OVER driving the thing till it nearly melts.. it's toast.. plain and simple. and i have never heard of any other SVS owners blowing a woofer. i'm sure it happens. just i've never heard about it till now. doesn't change my mind on SVS subwoofer. it does change my mind on how stupid some people can be though. without naming any names.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sid,
    I did and still do recomend the PB2+ or ultra as I'm sure Doc did the room size just justifies it. My room is 25x19x9 and opens by a 7ft archway into a 19x19x8.5 dining room and my PB2+ can easliy relocate the pictures and knicknacks on the walls and the 2nd story rumbles just as violantly and I have taken every step to insure that I haven't overdriven the sub. I have one time and one time only (by mistake) ran the test tones for the sub using the AVIA at referance (0) and the sub was set at 25-3 (1:00 sub gain, -0 reciever) before the test tone was complete (I could not handle the pressure) turned it off quickly realizing what happened, my eyes were phyiscaly shaking from it and I never heard somuch as a slap of the drivers during the episode while I'm sure it was straining the drivers it still never **** the bucket. I must commend SVS for replacing the driver but would recomend highly that an exchange be made for a PB2+ (better choice) or PB2 ultra (best choice). This is only my recomendation but your dad should get what he needs for it and SVS will be relieved from the constant warrenty issues by getting one that will put out the kinda bass he wants and I don't think he will notice any differance between the + or ultra.

Just my 2 cents

Dave
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2004
    Options
    companies have bad batches of stuff, It's not like SVS makes the driver (i don't think) So when all those 404 drivers were blowing up, Mine included.. it didn't make polk a lesser company... It was misused i'll bet, and maybe even defective... Who knows..

I'm sure SVS will warranty it (the first time anyways) because they are a great company, Like POLK... they both take care of us even when its probobly our fault.... :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I hate it when trey deletes his post it makes the thread not make any sense.
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Yes Ron offered my Dad to trade the PC Ultra full refund and 50 dollars more for a PB2+. He dosnt have any room for it, and my step Mom wont let him put anything outside of where the Ultra is. I also told my Dad he needs to step up to a Box sub or another Ultra. He dosnt have the money right now for another Ultra, and he dosnt want a Box sub.

Kinda like what Dan says - You can only show them the path, its up to them to take it.

I know what you mean by shaking the eyes, LOL. My SVS does that and more.

Viper,
    The message was intended for you. You read it. It is no longer needed. You know what I said and thats all that matters. Infact, I would have PMd' you but it was to long for PM. I didnt like what you said. As long as you know that - I dont think any less of editing my message.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Why is this thread even dragging on...Trey playing defense on his IMO, moron kin....essentially from his own admission....this is the same old tired story of why people should not own good gear. Didn't you mention this fact earlier Russman?

I met your father, and it looked, and sounded as though he was fairly knowledgeable of the audio community, at that time. I now think that he is as backwards as a catfish in open water, and I wish you luck in your genetics.

Every time I think you are moving forward, you take 2 steps back....just don't post this crap, and you won't get crap for it.

It is a waste of alphabet.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2004
    Options
    if it still works fine, why dont u glue on the surround and ur dad can buy a b4 like he needs, then u can take the ultra and sell me ur pci. sounds like a good plan to me :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    why dont u glue on the surround

Actually, he can try to repair the surround, but the damage to the driver may not be limited to just the surround.

The cone, spiders, and VC might also have suffered damage. If the VC has been deformed from striking the backplate multiple times, it may fail and that might also cause amp damage.

It's best to check with Tom V before they proceed with a simple glue job, and see what his opinion is. After all, he designed the driver.

Also, this type of thing isn't limited to SVS drivers, naturally. Several Adire Tumult (yes, the big bad Tumult) owners fragged their new $500 toy (mostly VC meltdowns) before they got smart too.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2004
    Options
    lol doc im just tryin to get myself an SVS on very limited funding.....but as u can see, im not exactly excelling in the bass department right now, atleast not any bass past 30 hz