Kill Bill

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,969
edited May 2004 in Music & Movies
I hope this is like.........

The Exposition of the 'Story'. Because, this was one of most BORING................DRAWN OUT............POS movies I have watched lately.

************POSSSSSSSSSIBBLE SPOILER!!!!!**********

THERE WAS ONLY ONE EFFIN GOOD FIGHT SCENE IN THIS WHOLE EFFIN MOVIE......it lasted 2 EFFIN MINUTES. Then it ended bad.

THEN, every other fight scene, there was body parts flying, blood just shooting up 10-15-20 feet in the air like a fountain.

NOT TO MENTION, THE ACTING WAS TERRIBLE. It was like she tried to be mad......I mean come on......there just wasnt good.

******END POSSIBLE SPOILER*******

I DUNNO, I was expecting MUCH MORE than what I just watched, 2 hours wasted of my life. BLAH

Not even worth a rent.

- Sid The Kid
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited April 2004
    Wow ?! I have a new found respect for ya sid ?

I figured you'd go for a movie like this.

Agreed. It was a disappoinment . Though many others either loved it or hated it.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2004
    IMHO ..unless you grew up watching the old kung fu/exploitation/ movies of the 70's you will never "get" Kill Bill.
    It was an homage of sorts to all those movies. I dont think it was ever meant to be too original. From the opening of the movie with the Shaw Bros logo coming up followed by the old cheesy swirling feature presentation sreen that was shown in every grade z movie house and drive in before the movie would start.
    I loved it.
    In fact I have the Japanese version of it coming on DVD since in that version the big fight at the House OF Blue Leaves is in color instead of the b&W (thanks Miramax!!) they used here in the US to tone down that scene(gotta love region-free dvd players).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2004
    An homage or not it looks flat out stupid and I won't waste 2 hours watching it.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2004
    Tarrantino is a genius. 'Nuff said.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but Bill nailed why.

On another note...DO NOT BUY THIS DVD. It has NO special features. The good version will be released late this year.

my .02
  • Billm57
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    An homage or not it looks flat out stupid and I won't waste 2 hours watching it.

well Ron - you probably wouldnt like any of the cheesy (but fun) 70 movies its styled after either...
    I feel the same way about all the remakes and sequels that are out there..
    to each thier own i guess..I was just relaying my thoughts on why some people would probably not like it
  • Billm57
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    . It has NO special features. The good version will be released late this year.

my .02
    from what I hear there will be abox set with Vol 1 and Vol 2 but I doubt Miramax will ever release the uncut version that showed in Japan
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2004
    I love the old 70's cheesy Kung-Fu movies. But guess what? It's now 2004.
    There's a big difference in using old movies you like to inspire you, than just plain copying stuff. This movie was a joke; I couldn't even keep myself interested in watching the whole thing, I left the theater. At least in the old ones, most of the folks actually knew martial arts, and made things look real. Uma looks like shes gonna cut her own foot off.

I like a lot of Tarantino movies, but I think he was on way too much acid when he made this.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by shepx2
    I love the old 70's cheesy Kung-Fu movies. But guess what? It's now 2004.

yes unfortunately..they dont make em like they used to :)
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2004
    A great movie. I can't wait to get the dvd and watch vol2 friday.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2004
    Just watched Kill Bill. Strange movie, but I gotta see how this thing ends. I understand the blood thing, but why the cartoons?

Oh well, maybe in 6 months when Vol. 2 comes out on DVD I'll get some answers. Hope this one comes in DTS, too.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2004
    I understand the blood thing, but why the cartoons?

Cuz Tarantino can afford the really good drugs!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2004
    Well, going against my natural grain here, I've decided I will rent this and give it a look see this weekend. I've been hearing too many good things about it. I don't care for blood soaked movies, but being that this is done in jest, it might make it watchable.

Again, I think the trailers look stupid and I am only a fan of QT's Pulp Fiction and that's it. Even at that, I do not own it, just made for a good rental. Hopefully Kill Bill is not a wasted rental ticket.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2004
    Well, going against my natural grain here, I've decided I will rent this and give it a look see this weekend. I've been hearing too many good things about it. I don't care for blood soaked movies, but being that this is done in jest, it might make it watchable.

Again, I think the trailers look stupid and I am only a fan of QT's Pulp Fiction and that's it. Even at that, I do not own it, just made for a good rental. Hopefully Kill Bill is not a wasted rental ticket.

It's really going to be a love it or hate it. I loved it, and not just because tarrantino did it, but because it's my kind of movie. It's different, the music is great, and it actually keeps a good story line, IMO.

Hope you like it.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2004
    I enjoyed it, not my favorite Tarantino flick(it lacked his typical crackling dialogue), but still a lot of fun. I thought Lucy Liu was great in her scenes.

And the soundtrack is a must-buy for me!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Billm57
    edited April 2004

i dont think a lot of the violence is in jest..its just very much over the top...think Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the whole Black Knight sequence(without the jokes)
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2004
    Hey, different strokes for different folks...

I think QT is really out there, that's the beauty of it. Lots of chemically induced thought process with that one.

I used to LOVE the old KUNG FU THEATRE flicks, it's kind a like a cult thing, like The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

We loved it, and can't wait for Part 2...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Two thumbs WAY up. QT is genius. That is all.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Two thumbs WAY up. QT is genius. That is all.

Doc
    Just got done watching it - Doc I second your quote. Brilliant movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2004
    i bought it today at Target. and watched it tonight. i enjoyed the entertainment value of it. it's not a bad movie. but you do have to take it for what it is. like Billm57 said. and homage to bad Kung Fu movies of the 70's. even has David Carridine in it for petes sake. will it win an Oscar? hell no. But Quentin does know a lot about movie making. this is only his fourth movie. then just keep getting better. i'm going to see Kill Bill 2 next weekend. hope it's just as good or better.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • begbie
    edited April 2004
    Just watched Kill Bill 2 . I didn't like Vol. 1 but how can ya judge only half a movie ?

Just a quick review...

Both movies are like night and day to each other and vol. 2 goes on to explain the thin plot line in vol. 1. If anything it dragged a little bit and couldn't keep the tempo going at times.

The Pei Mei scene was excellant and funny. Too bad the scene wasn't any longer.

One thumb up for Vol. 2 :) .....and one down for Vol. 1 :( .
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by danger boy
    But Quentin does know a lot about movie making. this is only his fourth movie.

That is something most often missed by people who don't get it. Quentin is amazingly skilled with his writing abilities. He has memorable lines scene after scene. Everything melds so well. His uncanny ability to put together the most fantastic soundtracks on all his film is also something to behold. Movies with great music are always a key to me. He takes old gems that even a lot of us have never heard before and they become instant hits in his films.

He's also written a lot of other movies. Reservoir Dogs happens to be my favorite one that he's made. I can sit and recite every line to that movie.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2004
    Just watched Kill Bill 2 . I didn't like Vol. 1 but how can ya judge only half a movie ?
    Hated the first movie and then ran out to watch the second at the WAY over inflated movies...........
    I love it ........ Keep supporting movie theaters and keep the DVD's coming to MY HT!:D LOL
  • begbie
    edited April 2004
    I'm still on the fence with Tarantino. He doesn't come up with any new or ground breaking material but rather reinvents it. Which is a good thing.

He's directed only 4 films so it'll be interesting to see what he can bring next.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by begbie
    He's directed only 4 films so it'll be interesting to see what he can bring next.

He's written and produced numerous others...
  • begbie
    edited April 2004
    He's written and produced numerous others...

I know but so have many others. Though who's counting?

...and it's too bad he didn't give credit to Ringo Lam's "City on Fire" for the success of Resevoir Dogs.....;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited April 2004
    That line about Maddonas big dick just kills me every time.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by begbie
    I know but so have many others. Though who's counting?

...and it's too bad he didn't give credit to Ringo Lam's "City on Fire" for the success of Resevoir Dogs.....;)

Why would he? Everything Tarrantino does is a tribute to the days of old.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    I enjoyed the Kill Bills. Of course I enjoy most of QT's stuff.

Detroit 9000
    Reservoir Dogs
    Four Rooms
    Pulp Fiction

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    I don't think QT wrote Detroit 9000, but he had something to do with it. I remember this really bloody scene of a black guy getting shot in the neck, and blood sprays out profusely, and he just yells "Motherf\_/cker!!!!!" My friend and I just busted up laughing.
  • begbie
    edited April 2004
    Why would he? Everything Tarrantino does is a tribute to the days of old.

The last half hour of City on Fire was lifted for Resevoir Dogs. Hardly a tribute ....

...but the Tarantino of late is much better and he's addressing more films from which he's been influenced.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111