Car Speaker questions

tommyt21
tommyt21 Posts: 685
edited January 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some help with some car audio stuff. I used to be a big Car Audio Enthuisist almost 12-15 years ago, but havnt messed around in it for along time.

I drive a 2006 Hyundai Elantra. The front driver "factory" speaker has been blown for a couble months. So finally I decided to pick up some replacements. I spend most of my money in the home audio realm so I went kinda cheap and purchased some Kicker DS65's for my front doors panels. I still use the original POS Head Unit. I installed just the front driver door speaker so far, however compared to the non blown passenger factory speaker this Kicker sounds like crap. It has a buzz at higher volumes and seems to distort at moderate bass levels.

My question is could this sound be because of the old factory head unit is not supplying enough power? Or does the speaker just suck? All help is greatly appreciated.

PS it got great reviews online.
Living Room
Fronts: RTi A7's
Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
Front Heights: Rti A1
Surrounds: Rti A3
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
Post edited by tommyt21 on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2012
    The speakers are distorting cause the hu is running out of clean power. Get a 2x50-75 watt amp to run the kickers.
  • tommyt21
    edited January 2012
    arun1963 wrote: »
    The speakers are distorting cause the hu is running out of clean power. Get a 2x50-75 watt amp to run the kickers.

That was kind of what i was suspecting. Would getting a better HU also help the problem?
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• arun1963
    edited January 2012
    Not really. HU's don't put out enough clean power. You'll get your 22watts but at 3-4% distortion levels. You're better off adding an amp. The reason you didn't hear this level of distortion from your stock speakers, is cause they were really crappy.
  • tommyt21
    edited January 2012
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Not really. HU's don't put out enough clean power. You'll get your 22watts but at 3-4% distortion levels. You're better off adding an amp. The reason you didn't hear this level of distortion from your stock speakers, is cause they were really crappy.

So it looks like i'm climbing in a hole here, If I also end up getting the rear 6X9 kickers, and a new head unit I could rewire using a 4 channel dedicated amp to improve sound, correct? Where is the best place to place an amp the trunk or maybe under a seat? Also my front doors have the small tweeters sitting up higher on the door panel how do I deal with those if I wire the rest through the amp. Do I need a inline bass blocker or cross over?

Thanks dude
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• arun1963
    edited January 2012
    Instead of running 6x9 at the back, add a sub in a sealed box. Then run your kickers off two channels and bridge the other two to run the sub. If you're mounting the amp under the seat just make sure there is enough space for air circulation. I would'nt run the stock tweeters, just leave them disconnected. If you do change your hu, see if you can get one with time alignment.
  • tommyt21
    edited January 2012
    Interesting, I think I may give that a shot. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• Good afternoon everyone. Just purchased a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk last Saturday. Looking for replacement speakers and want to go with Polk Audio. Preferably 2ohm speakers. What sizes and what model should I go with?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    Hello,
    The door speakers should be 5 1/4" for your Jeep, most car speakers tend to be 4 ohms, the Polk DB+ series seem to get good comments.
  • I have never owned any Kicker speakers that sounded any good or produced decent output. Bought 4 Kicker patio speakers for my deck - because they were stupid cheap ( $79 per pair - on the Jungle website ). I regret that every day. But what's done is done.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge