Tuners????

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm looking for a tuner for my camp rig but I don't know anything about tuners.

What should I look for?
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2004
    Options
    If you talking older/vintage, look for Pioneer/Kenwood on Ebay. If you want top-of-the-line, Magnum Research.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Doro, thanks for the link.

I like the Ebay warnings, I've seen the Vlad dude many times on ebay but was always leary about his feedback.

I only get a half dozen stations and they're broadcast from 45 mins. away. Should I really be concerned with specs or would any tuner do?

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think it is more about your antenna, than anything. The guys on that forum, are obviously tuner geeks, and wax poetic about this one or that one. Source a decent brand line or name, not too expensive, and you should be fine. You may end up investing more in a good antenna than you will need to on the tuner. Magnum Dynalab makes a real popular outside mounted antenna. It's <100 and on www.audioadvisor.com

I think Russman has a Sony ES Tuner for sale....T-555ES if I recall, drop him a line.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i use that FM tuner link that Doro provided. it's kept me from overpaying on Ebay a few times. the popular brands seems to be Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, and a few others. unlesss you get into the high end audiophile ones.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think I'm going to hit my local hock shops to start with. I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent tuner on the cheap.

I was probably getting a little ahead of myself. At camp, I usually listen to CDs and the radio gets used for background music and weather forecasts.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Options
    dc,
    A suggestion.

Don't overlook old SS Dynaco tuners. Fm-5's are on ebay all the time and cheap. And while a bit bulky it can double as a pre for a second source as it has one Aux input.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD