Game resolution PS3 and XBOX

boomerfss
boomerfss Posts: 125
edited December 2011 in Video Games
Hey. I went to pick up the new game Skyrim and noticed that on the back of the games, the PS3 one said resolution of up to 1080I whereas the XBOX version said 1080P. I have a PS3 now and thinking of getting the XBOX as well.

I checked some of the other games like the new Battlefield and it was similar. The PS3 was 720P versus 1080P for the same game on XBOX.

Just wondering why there is a difference and if it really makes any difference?

Thanks for any insight.
Onkyo HTRC 180
Polk Monitor 70 Series 2 Fronts
Polk CSi A6 Center
Polk PSW505 Sub Woofer
Polk Monitor 60 Series 2 Surrounds.
Harman Kardon HTSK18 Back Ceiling Mounted
PS3 Xbox
Post edited by boomerfss on

Comments

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited November 2011
    Very interesting especially because ps3 is bluray
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited November 2011
    Not really. The 360 has a scaler built in for games, whereas the PS3 does not. The 360 just upscales the resolution to 1080p, the PS3 can only play the games at the native resolution.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2011
    What nguyendot said. Most games on both systems are either rendered internally at 720p or somewhere thereabouts (some are rendered as low as 640 lines of resolution and scaled) or tradeoffs are made to reach a higher resolution (which is typically the case on the PS3). Neither system is capable of honest-to-god 1080p gameplay for any significant AAA title. The 360, at least, has scaling and anti-aliasing built into the architecture to make up for it.

If that's the only reason you're planning on getting an Xbox 360, I wouldn't.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2011
    Neither system is 'better' overall for graphics. People can argue things like system architecture and which one has the advantage theoretically all day long but the fact is, they're very equally matched. The quality of graphics on each system is very game dependent. Battlefield 3 for example looks better on PS3, which MW3 looks better on the 360.

My advice is, if you're really concerned about getting the best possible graphics, you need to build a gaming PC. That's expensive and time consuming though, so you have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Having said all that, I just purchased a 360 and now own both consoles. The advantage to owning both consoles is that you can pick the console that a particular game looks better on. There are other advantages as well, like being able to play anything out there (Killzone, GoW, etc).
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    ^ What he said. Each system has its own architectural strengths and individual games look better/worse depending on which console was lead platform during development, the team's skill at wringing the most out of the system, etc. Unless there's a 360-only exclusive title you want to play, you're probably good. But if you put the best-looking exclusives on each platform side by side, neither system is noticeably superior... and neither will touch even a middle-of-the-road PC because they're 5+ year old consoles.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • boomerfss
    boomerfss Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the info. I did buy the XBOX anyway (Christmas is coming!).

I do have a pretty good laptop that can handle gaming ASUS G74 SX ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230122 ), but I prefer to sit on my coach for games. I could probably hook up the laptop to the T.V., but it seems like a bit of a pain. I'm sure someday soon I will be able to do it wirelessly. That would be great.

Cheers.
    Onkyo HTRC 180
    Polk Monitor 70 Series 2 Fronts
    Polk CSi A6 Center
    Polk PSW505 Sub Woofer
    Polk Monitor 60 Series 2 Surrounds.
    Harman Kardon HTSK18 Back Ceiling Mounted
    PS3 Xbox
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited December 2011
    boomerfss wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I did buy the XBOX anyway (Christmas is coming!).

I do have a pretty good laptop that can handle gaming ASUS G74 SX ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230122 ), but I prefer to sit on my coach for games. I could probably hook up the laptop to the T.V., but it seems like a bit of a pain. I'm sure someday soon I will be able to do it wirelessly. That would be great.

Cheers.

Sorry couldn't help but find this funny especialy with the whole Penn State thing:lol:
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2011
    tommyt21 wrote: »
    Sorry couldn't help but find this funny especialy with the whole Penn State thing:lol:
    Right, because the 'whole Penn State thing' is soooooooooooooo funny.
  • tommyt21
    edited December 2011
    Right, because the 'whole Penn State thing' is soooooooooooooo funny.

My bad you know what I ment. Not that the Penn State thing is funny. That the semantics and the Mispelling alluded to something he did not intend. I'm not making fun of tragedy
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• tommyt21
    edited December 2011
    How do you edit a post thats been qouted? It seems the edit pencil disappears. I would like to rephrase my post before i have everyone under the sun posting what an insensitive jerk I am.
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited December 2011
    I have both, and to me the "Gameplay" of the 360 beats the PS3. I was pleasently surprised at how much better Madden 2012 is on the 360.
  • tommyt21
    edited December 2011
    I have a 360 and love the graphics. I was told that graphics maybe better on multi platform titles on the 360 because of the software the 360's built on and not so much the hardware aspect. It's easier for game designers to code for the 360 than the Ps3 from what ive read.
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2011
    tommyt21 wrote: »
    I have a 360 and love the graphics. I was told that graphics maybe better on multi platform titles on the 360 because of the software the 360's built on and not so much the hardware aspect. It's easier for game designers to code for the 360 than the Ps3 from what ive read.
    Even that's not always true though, as there are some multi-platform titles that look better on the PS3. It really is game dependent, which is why I have both consoles.

I do prefer the 360 controller more though, feels more natural in my hand even though my OCD doesn't like that fact that it's not symmetrical.
  • tommyt21
    edited December 2011
    Even that's not always true though, as there are some multi-platform titles that look better on the PS3. It really is game dependent, which is why I have both consoles.

I do prefer the 360 controller more though, feels more natural in my hand even though my OCD doesn't like that fact that it's not symmetrical.

Maybe with the PS4 they will change there controller to something more ergonomic. I would like to have a PS3 to play stuff like God of War, but my wife letting me have my 360 was a ton of work and pleading. I can't wait for the next gen stuff though!
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• kuntasensei
    edited December 2011
    My biggest reason for not owning a PS3 is the controller. I was so disappointed that they didn't come up with something more comfortable for this generation, whereas the 360 has the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Same reason I never bought a PS2. I'm hoping Sony does something better next time.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited December 2011
    My biggest reason for not owning a PS3 is the controller. I was so disappointed that they didn't come up with something more comfortable for this generation, whereas the 360 has the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Same reason I never bought a PS2. I'm hoping Sony does something better next time.

Preference I guess because I HATE the 360 controller and can't play for more than about 20 min before wanting to put it down.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2011
    The controllers on each system have the same basic functionality, there's no logical reason that we can't have both styles of controller or each system.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited December 2011
    What he said.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.