Can anyone ID the model number of this old Panasonic system?

echoofformless
echoofformless Posts: 28
edited September 2012 in Electronics
My father had this one when I was a kid. After he died it got stolen in a burglary. I always wanted to replace it if for nothing else but the sentimental value. I happened to find a photo of it after a lot of google searching but I can not seem to nail down the model number in order to look for it on ebay or craigslist. The most I know is that it was from the mid to late 80's and the speakers were "Turbo Thrusters." (Yes I plan on using better speakers!)

Here is the photo:
panstereo2.jpg
Post edited by echoofformless on

Comments

• Phasewolf
    Phasewolf Posts: 514
    edited November 2011
    Try contacting Panasonic and see if they maybe able to help you out with this one. They would be the best ones too ask. Other wise I would say see if you can find a site for people that collect older Panasonic gear and ask them.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2011
    Looks like an interesting piece of history from the '80s (I actually remember the Panasonic "Thruster speakers). I doubt Panasonic will know or have 'any' info on this. Polk is an exception when it comes to maintaining records on all their products!

Definitely looks like mid to late 80s as you say. I have a Realistic receiver from that time that has that LED display look.

Maybe someone over at AKarma would know something (check the Vintage gear section out).

Totally understand the sentimental value. I have an old VOM R2R set that belonged to my father in the basement--I'm not sure it even works. Probably get it out and put a tape on soon!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • echoofformless
    edited November 2011
    I managed to find another picture from this series of the rear, and it says the model number is SE-P5. Searching high and low and coming up with nothing but service manuals and replacement belts. It seems maybe this was a rarer model. I recall it came with a matched stand that made the wood on the sides look like continuous panels. It was a very handsome unit in its day and was very well built with a weighted tuning knob and both an analog and a digital tuner display. The turntable had a nice gentle mechanism to it as did the tape deck. The sound was really sweet for what it was. I would love to have this unit again!
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited November 2011
    I think during that time period they were churning out new models at a high rage of speed and there might not have been many of that specific model produced before the next one was introduced.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • echoofformless
    edited November 2011
    Ah that makes sense.

Does anyone have any search keyword suggestions? After going with the model number, I've tried several terms like vintage, 1980's, compact stereo, integrated stereo, etc. Did units like this have any more specific terms attached to them?
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2011
    I used a few different search helpers like the ones you listed but the only thing I see is a service manual.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2011
    Often rack systems like your Panny had a "model number", but individual pieces did not since they were only meant to be sold as a package.

If you have a pretty good line on the year(s) your Dad's was offered, try looking for catalogs in that time frame. J&R Music World is one that might produce some leads. Some turn up on-line with page after page scanned for posterity. Also JCPenny's or Sears cat's might produce some results.

One other thought is to post over at Audio Karma... lotsa old... I mean vintage... brains over there.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited November 2011
    Are those the matching speakers? Did you google the name on the top right corner of the grills? Turbo-something is it?
    Too much **** to list....
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited November 2011
    I believe the name on the speakers is Panasonic Thrusters.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • echoofformless
    edited December 2011
    They were actually "Turbo Thrusters." One can only imagine that turbocharging a mediocre speaker could make it....more mediocre.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited December 2011
    I wonder how much boost they are running?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • hiimJake
    hiimJake Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    I was at my grandmothers recently and i asked her if i could have an old player. it is the complete Panasonic SE-P5, never been used. i assembled it with the original instruction manuel and it works perfectly. the speakers which are Turbo Thruster Speakers are fantastic. i was just researching this online and trying to find the value of it but there are close to no matches for this. those pictures are also missing the bottom cabinet piece that has wheels and a glass magnetic opening door.
  • hiimJake
    hiimJake Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    i have the same original system and i only play them on 2 out of 10 on the volume knob and they pump. they are actually very very good.
  • echoofformless
    edited September 2012
    Wonderful! Post some pics! At the very least I can enjoy looking at it and feeling nostalgic. And I still had that bottom cabinet piece for many years after the burglary. I used it for many random things. I only threw it out maybe a few years ago as it had long become rickety.

Naturally if you're thinking about packing it up and sending it forth to Philadelphia, I would make you a decent offer through paypal.
  • I have one just like with out the speakers l got a set technics SBCR99 and set of JBL compact control 25 hook up to it sounds greatnever would have thought that it had so much power
  • Judge
    Judge Posts: 1
    I purchased this same exact stereo system during the summer of 1980 at a PX exchange while serving in the U.S. Navy. I paid a little over $600 and that was with the military discount. Everything mentioned about the Turbo Thrusters is true. To this day those speakers will still shake my house! As I recall, the system was offered with identical turbo thruster speakers with an 8 inch and 10 inch woofer. I bought the 10 inch version and never regretted it. I was certainly the envy of many a stereo system aficionado. This type of system was extremely popular during the late 70's and 80's. They replaced the old all-in-one box stereo systems with the plastic cover lid that was so popular.
  • jholroj
    jholroj Posts: 3
    edited November 2021
    r9hpbkevba4r.jpeg

I have this beautiful mint set and let me tell you…, the turbo thrusters got their name for a reason!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    But... who needs Turbo Thrusters when you can have Turbo Cones Turbine Cones?

B)

48952695296_32162358f2_b.jpgDSC_6911 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

k3jumrmw4awq.png
  • 93eros
    93eros Posts: 1
    I have this exact device..picked it up at a thrift shop in LA. Didn't come with the speakers and the turntable wasn't working. Got the belt replaced but there's no needle and I'm having trouble finding a replacement needle. Any advice? 7269frboy6wi.jpg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Phasewolf wrote: »
    Try contacting Panasonic and see if they maybe able to help you out with this one. They would be the best ones too ask. Other wise I would say see if you can find a site for people that collect older Panasonic gear and ask them.

Try this. I'm kinda like the other guy above. I think my grandmother had one.
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited March 2022
    93eros wrote: »
    I have this exact device..picked it up at a thrift shop in LA. Didn't come with the speakers and the turntable wasn't working. Got the belt replaced but there's no needle and I'm having trouble finding a replacement needle. Any advice? 7269frboy6wi.jpg

Do you need "just" a needle (stylus) or the whole cartridge assembly?
    If I am interpreting the photo correctly, it looks like (???) you have a cartridge, and the cartridge is unmounted, dangling by the tonearm wires. :o

73xxpj1d9yti.png

It does not appear to be a P-mount cartridge.
    It looks like a 'standard' cartridge, but with an odd mounting clip that uses one screw to attach to the (nonstandard) headshell of the arm. :| It's not familiar to me. The image in the first post to this thread looks like (???) it might be the common Chuo Denshi ceramic cartridge. Does it look like this one?

nebghkjyngar.png

https://www.amazon.com/banpa-Cartridge-Turntable-Diamond-Replacement/dp/B08P4H7BCH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=231462ZE6IABC&keywords=chuo+cz800+phono+cartridge&qid=1648255883&sprefix=chuo+cz800+phono+cartridge,aps,62&sr=8-4&th=1

Another possibility would be a low-end Audio-Technica cartridge like this one, once commonly known as the "Red Ed". It was called that, IIRC, for a version sold by... well... some guy called Ed. :)

6szc2twzsxip.png