MW3 - de ja vu?

mudwrx
mudwrx Posts: 367
edited December 2011 in Video Games
I just watched a few videos for MW3. Maybe it's me, but it looks exactly the same. I couldn't tell if I was looking at MW2 or MW3. Sure, they incorporated a few things such as collecting dog tags, but it sure does look like it is simply more of the same.

I will stick to BF3 for now...
Post edited by mudwrx on

Comments

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2011
    They are still running the heavily modified Quake II engine. That cause the environments to be very linear and static. They do a good job with the scripted sequences though.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2011
    mutelight wrote: »
    They are still running the heavily modified Quake II engine. That cause the environments to be very linear and static. They do a good job with the scripted sequences though.

I always wondered why COD stayed away from destructible enviroments... now I know
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2011
    Who cares? It looks gorgeous, runs at 60fps, and will absolutely be the top-ranked online game for months. We can argue it all we want... but let's face it, Call Of Duty is a juggernaut. Battlefield 3 couldn't even beat Black Ops in online numbers at its release and that game's been out for a while.

I'm totally fine with more of the same with this, just like I was with the incremental improvements in Gears Of War 3. BRING IT ON!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited November 2011
    Who cares? It looks gorgeous, runs at 60fps, and will absolutely be the top-ranked online game for months. We can argue it all we want... but let's face it, Call Of Duty is a juggernaut. Battlefield 3 couldn't even beat Black Ops in online numbers at its release and that game's been out for a while.

I'm totally fine with more of the same with this, just like I was with the incremental improvements in Gears Of War 3. BRING IT ON!

To be fair, you are comparing the first week of BF3, which was release on a Tuesday, to a full week (Mon-Sat) of Black Ops players online. You also have to consider the launch day server issues for BF3 that affected online play. A more accurate comparison should be done next week, a full week after the game's release and after the server corrections.

Here's an article stating the same thing: http://kotaku.com/battlefield-3/
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    Either way, it won't matter come Tuesday... 'cause MW3 will no doubt take the top spot.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • tommyboy
    edited November 2011
    Either way, it won't matter come Tuesday... 'cause MW3 will no doubt take the top spot.

So what? . Its one of the most popular online multiplayer franchises of all time of course its going to sell the most.The one thing I know is I'm sick of the typical COD formula so as of now, I'm not buying it
  • Evrythngmatters
    Evrythngmatters Posts: 187
    edited November 2011
    To me all COD games feel the same. Run and gun then run and gun some more. BF3 maps are huge and I love that I can be sniped from half way across a map and not know where it came from. Cannot say that about COD BO imo. You know every nook and cranny there is plus the maps feel box like after playing BF3. Plus the visuals and sound just dominate in this game. My wife says it looks like I am playing a movie everytime I fire it up. Cannot say the same about COD games imo. They have the "old" video game look from yesteryear.
    Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad **** boat to pull up along side it though.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    Before this thread spirals into it, Battlefield is Battlefield and Call Of Duty is Call Of Duty. Two different styles of play, so let's not start the fanboy war here. For me, CoD fits my play style more and no matter how many times I've given Battlefield games a shot, it just isn't what I enjoy. I f#*king hate getting sniped from across the map, which is pretty much what immediately turned me off to BF3 in the beta. I can understand why people dig that though.

Staying on focus here, I don't care if it's more of the same. I'm looking forward to the over-the-top campaign, can't wait to play Spec Ops (though I hate that it isn't 4-player co-op like zombies is in Black Ops), and hope that the new teams working on the franchise didn't bork the multiplayer after the whole Infinity Ward controversy. I was in the beta for Elite and was pretty happy with the content they provided for Black Ops in that, so I'm definitely interested to see what they have in store for MW3. Having the videos that show you the detailed specs and recoil for each gun improved my playing, so I hope to see more stuff like that.

All that said, this really needs to be the last iteration of CoD with this engine. I mean, it's nice for this console generation because it looks good and runs at 60fps... and they've really pushed what anyone thought they could do with the engine... but it's time to move forward. Hopefully, the former IW heads didn't take all the innovation with them to their new studio.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited November 2011
    This will be the first COD for xbox that I won't be getting on release day. And unless I see something that changes my mind, I may not get it all all. I'm tired of more of the same, and there's too many good games out now or coming soon to waste my time with that.

I hope ya'll enjoy it.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    Thanks to a 1 hour and 20 minute wait at launch, I only got 3 TDM matches in before I had to crash. So far, so good. I like the changes they've made, especially once I got to create a custom class. The G36C is a nice starting weapon. Gotta give it some more time before I can say much more ('cause I'm so tired), but definitely going to get a ton of playtime in when I wake up. Still love how buttery smooth the game runs though, and it does look pretty damn good for yet another iteration on an old engine.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Zeros
    edited November 2011
    Thanks to a 1 hour and 20 minute wait at launch, I only got 3 TDM matches in before I had to crash. So far, so good. I like the changes they've made, especially once I got to create a custom class. The G36C is a nice starting weapon. Gotta give it some more time before I can say much more ('cause I'm so tired), but definitely going to get a ton of playtime in when I wake up. Still love how buttery smooth the game runs though, and it does look pretty damn good for yet another iteration on an old engine.

Wow, why did you have to wait so long? Were there that many people waiting for it at midnight?
  • FittyFieFo
    FittyFieFo Posts: 482
    edited November 2011
    Has anyone played Survival Mode yet?
    Samsung LN52A850 (52" 1080P LCD TV) | RTi A9's (Fronts) | Csi A6(Center) | FXi A6 (Rear Surrounds) | SVS PB12-NSD (Sub) | Oppo BDP-103 | Panamax M5300-PM

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV7005 | Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 | Speaker wires: Signal Cables | Interconnects: Signal Cables
  • mudwrx
    edited November 2011
    I just got a copy of MW3 for my nephew at Walmart, they had hundreds of them.

Myself, I'm sticking with BF3 and then to Uncharted 3.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited November 2011
    Skyrim anyone?
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited November 2011
    I used to be a big fan of COD but after awhile it gets old. 3 years now buying everyone that came out and now I'm just in for something different. BF3 is more fun because I can work with a group of people in the game vs 1 person that can carry the whole game in COD. I might pick it up in the future but this is a launch date I will not be buying it either.....
  • tommyboy
    edited November 2011
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of COD but after awhile it gets old. 3 years now buying everyone that came out and now I'm just in for something different. BF3 is more fun because I can work with a group of people in the game vs 1 person that can carry the whole game in COD. I might pick it up in the future but this is a launch date I will not be buying it either.....

Agreed, I'm not saying I won't ever get it but not anytime soon. I guess the way I look at is I thought MW2 was a complete mess of a game, so once those problems were fixed in BLops, I guess I considered it the game I wanted from COD all along. So now I just want something that feels new (BF3).

It is amazing how it seems most of us on here are turned off by MW3, but it had 50% more preoders than black ops. Hopefully you battlefield players don't convert over anytime soon, then I won't have anyone to play with:wink:
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited November 2011
    Logged over 2 hours of game time... really like it so far but it is pretty much a carbon copy of mw2 ... that being said, it's sorta like apple products, the incremental differences are enough to get people excited for it again.

I'm typing this from my mac while texting from my iphone :razz:
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited November 2011
    I gotta say while the game LOOKS like MW2, it doesn't play like it at all. There's actual balance to the game. If anything, it plays a lot like CoD4. The new kill streak system is very well implemented and Kill Confirmed mode is a blast - no more campers. I feel like I got my $60 worth. The next CoD better bring real innovation,though.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • Zeros
    edited November 2011
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    Logged over 2 hours of game time... really like it so far but it is pretty much a carbon copy of mw2

A carbon copy? You don't say:

http://kotaku.com/5857510/this-modern-warfare-3-building-look-awfully-familiar

It's just a joke BTW, I'm not trying to start anything.
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited November 2011
    Not surprising that they re-use buildings... all the cars, big white trucks, and numerous other things are the same from version to version. Overall the gameplay feels the same to me. I like that the double xp promotion from mountain dew as well as doritos works into the game. Redeemed 30 minutes of XXP and it worked perfectly.
  • mudwrx
    edited November 2011
    This review states what I thought, good game but not much has changed. And I guess if you sold a bazillion copies of it before, why mess with success? I'm enjoying Battlefield 3 immensely so I really have no desire to get MW3. However it appears you really can't go wrong with either, or both, choices. So have fun and enjoy.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/11/multiplayer-review-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/1
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    Zeros wrote: »
    Wow, why did you have to wait so long? Were there that many people waiting for it at midnight?
    Yup. Well over 150 people just at that store. That said, a friend who manages another Gamestop had about 200 people show up and had them all out the door by 12:40... so the one I went to was just unorganized. I would've bailed to go to Walmart instead, but I had reserved the hardened edition.

Spent the whole day playing it, and it was worth it just for Kill Confirmed mode. Yes, it's an incremental improvement (like all sequels are), but like HTGuru said, they have done a lot of work on the balance for multiplayer. Love all the maps so far and have already found weapon combinations that are working for me. Overall, they totally hit it out of the park. It has everything I've loved from the other games, none of the crap I hated except the jerks who are quickscoping with snipers (though that's unavoidable), and for such an old engine, they've definitely wrung out as much as they could from it.

Now if they'd just get CoD: Elite working, I'd be good!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited November 2011
    so would you say multi player plays like MW2 or Black Ops or somewhere in between? I preferred Black Ops to MW2.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2011
    Its MW2 with a new Map Pack and story line. Decent game, but the camping these people do on here is insane...............
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2011
    I preferred Black Ops to MW2 as well. Honestly, I'd say MW3 takes the best bits of MW1 and Black Ops and refines them. It just FEELS different than Black Ops, enough that I'm gonna hang on to Black Ops for a bit. Biggest thing I miss from Black Ops is the customizable emblems you could put on your weapons.

And for campers, the Revenge death streak helps. It highlights them on the map when you respawn so you can go get them out of their hole. :wink:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited November 2011
    WOW!! I still play Frogger on my Atari.. If I got into MW3, one day when I was done playing it I would look around and wonder how long my wife had been gone, and wondering if I still had a job, and why I stunk so bad because it had been days since I had showered. LOL!!
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited November 2011
    Its MW2 with a new Map Pack and story line. Decent game, but the camping these people do on here is insane...............

That's why I stopped playing MW2. But campers are a constant in most games. In BF3, we have campers except they're hiding way up in the mountains sniping away or mortaring the hell out of everyone from a distance.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • SolidSqual
    edited November 2011
    Finally got my copy of MW3. First impression (based on single player alone), the controls are tighter, the sound of guns and explosions has been tweaked to be way more exciting with great surround effects, and the single player mission has just been over the top. I feel like I'm running and gunning in a massive war. It may be very similar to MW2, but I'm enjoying myself immensely. I hope the multiplayer will be as fun. I'll have to try out Battlefield eveventually.
  • tommyboy
    edited November 2011
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    and the single player mission has just been over the top. I feel like I'm running and gunning in a massive war.

I've always enjoyed COD multiplayer, but what you mentioned here is why I never liked the single-player. They try so hard to make everything so massive that it makes everything way too over the top. The only levels I enjoy in the games are the sniping levels (cod4 chernobyl) since you have some time to think on what to do instead of mindlessly shooting. A game that did it really well was Brothers in Arms. It was a really fun game and it actually made you use your head a little bit.
  • SolidSqual
    edited November 2011
    Tommy,

Yeah brothers in arms was a great game and I agree it is always nice to have some thinking levels. In fact, I'm hoping I might find some of that with Battlefield. MW3 is just not that type of game and doesn't claim to be. That being said, I find if you resist the urge to run and gun as the action piles on, you can begin to control the flow of the game by making careful shots and strategic grenade tosses. At least then you can achieve some of the strategy you are looking for.