• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited September 2011
    Ps3 looks better than the 360 as I did an a/b on the demo's last night
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited September 2011
    Ps3 looks better than the 360 as I did an a/b on the demo's last night
    Not unexpected for this title... but the question really should be does even the PS3 version look as good as recent games on the 360? Or are they really just half-assing the console versions completely here? 'Cause I gotta' say... If this is what we can expect from their supposedly scalable Frostbite 2 engine that they've hyped so much, engines like CryEngine and Unreal Engine are gonna walk all over it. Even in multiplayer, Crysis 2 looks so much better than this, it's not even funny.

But like I said, I could forgive graphics if the gameplay was there... but it just isn't. They haven't improved much of anything outside of some of the animations (jumping over walls, etc.). Very disappointed.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Demo or not, the PC version looks great! :biggrin:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited September 2011
    Besides looks, what did you think of the gameplay?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Other than a couple of small bugs, no complaints.

As for maps, Operation Metro ok once you get past the first stage. The Caspian Border map is tremendous and has just about, if not every vehicle available in the game. 64 players also makes some intense game play.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2011
    Gave it another hour today and it still sucks. Oh well.
  • Splif
    Splif Posts: 114
    edited October 2011
    I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying.

I've played about 5 full rounds so far. The first thing I noticed is the control and movement feels like im running on ice. It is not very precise and just feels sloppy. I think BFBC2 is much better in this regard.

I thought the graphics were ok. They werent OMG awesome, but not horrible.

All in all, I'm chalking it up to being a beta build release in hopes that the full release kicks ****, just like BFBC2 did for me. Not cancelling my order. Just eagerly waiting!

I'll be on tonight around 10:30pm cst if anyone cares to join me on 360 GT: Spliff7
    Pn51D550
    Panasonic DMP-BDt110
    Onkyo HT-RC360
    Polk Monitor 60's L/R
    Polk CS2 C
    Polk Monitor 30's SL/SR
    BIC F12
    XBOX 360 COD:MW2 250g edition
    Logitech Harmony One
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited October 2011
    After all the bad feedback, I'll definitely be waiting for the reviews before putting my money down on this.
  • Zeros
    edited October 2011
    shepx2 wrote: »
    After all the bad feedback, I'll definitely be waiting for the reviews before putting my money down on this.

Shep, you should at least try the beta.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2011
    Demo or not, the PC version looks great!

Agreed - feels much more fluid than the 360 version so far.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I would have to question the motive to release something that wasn't finished because unless it's a great demo that's unpolished, it's only going to hurt sales.

Since the beta has come out the spin has been on to show that indeed this was an early build and that the game will be better. I can believe it, but how stupid of them to release what they did? They lost a ton of pre-sales as a result, but I'm sure they'll make it up after release. I have decided to go back in on this one and put it back on pre-order. Even if the MP doesn't measure up (I do like it after giving it more time despite the graphics), I'll still have the campaign, which unlike everyone else apparently, I really look forward to.

There's this form Joystiq:
    bf3previewbeta.jpg

Last week, I spent some six hours with a not-quite-final-but-close version of Battlefield 3. I think EA and DICE would like for me to talk about the single player but really, I don't have anything more to say about it than I did a few weeks ago. I can't talk about most of the multiplayer maps I played with any specificity, other than the Grand Bazaar level, which, hallelujah, had a tank in it. But at this point, I feel confident in making the following statement:

Releasing a beta for Battlefield 3 might be the biggest mistake EA has made with its biggest game this year.

Or, more specifically, releasing this Battlefield 3 beta has been a spectacular miscalculation on EA's part. It isn't just the technical issues, though those are distressing. DICE has insisted that the open Battlefield 3 beta is very much that: a beta. And I think that if they had released it six weeks earlier, it would be easier to swallow.

DICE has insisted publicly that the beta that released was an old build caught up in the vagaries of console manufacturer certification, but a) most gamers have no idea what that even means, b) most gamers will never see that information, and c) EA and DICE are fully aware of the amount of time it takes to get content through the certification process.

I don't know that we've ever seen a console beta with as many major technical issues as the Battlefield 3 beta; I know that we haven't seen one recently. And whether DICE and EA care to admit it, there's a public expectation that console betas will be more functional than the version of Battlefield 3 being offered now. And DICE has conducted betas on console before, most recently with Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which did not have the myriad technical issues that Battlefield 3 does.

But that's not the main reason that this beta has been a mistake. The main problem with the Battlefield 3 beta ? the one that's out right this moment ? is that it doesn't play like Battlefield 3 does now, how I assume the final game will play.

There are major gameplay balance differences between the two. Weapons feel different, with different fire rates and recoil. And the damage model has been radically shifted. Death comes quickly in the beta, situated more towards Call of Duty's durability, or even last year's DICE-developed Medal of Honor multiplayer. Firefights in the beta prioritize reflexes over tactics, which is a departure from Bad Company 2.

This is not the case with Battlefield 3 as it is now. The version of Battlefield 3 that I spent hours playing last week has weapons and damage that feel like Battlefield Bad Company 2. This, if you aren't sure, is a good thing. It changes the dynamics of firefights, allowing for each side to take and hold positions, and making flanking and tactical coordination much more viable. The increased player survivability also make vehicles in Battlefield 3 more fair than they would be with the beta's damage models.

Getting the drop on someone isn't the end of a fight in the version of Battlefield 3 I played last week. You have to be persistent, and you have to watch your **** to make sure you aren't left holding your, uh, empty gun in your hand if the guy you murdered has a teammate around the corner.

It leads to more interesting, frantic firefights, including one moment where I killed one enemy with my M4, shot another that came around the corner from the hip, and had to switch to my sidearm to handle yet another opponent a moment later. This happened all the time in Bad Company 2, and it's one of the things that gave it an identity separate from other modern military shooters. Requiring more ammo per kill also makes the support class more important ? as you run out of ammo, you'll be looking for that resupply. Battlefield 3 has made machine gunners your source of ammo, which means you'll probably need to fall back to resupply.

It's an example of one change resulting in a cascade of differences in how Battlefield 3 will play when it's released later this month than the beta does now. As it stands now, Battlefield 3's beta is a wellspring of misinformation about what your final Battlefield 3 experience will be. I'm glad for that ? I enjoyed what I've played of this more-final build of Battlefield 3 much more than any time I've spent with the game throughout the year. DICE and EA told me last week that they've been taking player feedback from the beta into account, though I have a hard time comprehending how they could make such sweeping changes based entirely on player feedback. But the question is whether or not what EA and DICE have let people at home play early has done more harm than good for Battlefield 3's prospects.

We'll find out soon. Battlefield 3 is scheduled for release on October 25th.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/the-beta-and-battlefield-3/#continued
  • Zeros
    edited October 2011
    Demi, I'm glad to hear that you are still going to pre-order it. 2 more weeks!
  • shepx2
    edited October 2011
    After a few days of playing the beta of BF3, seeing the video of game play with the released version, and then watching a video interview of one of the COD team, I'm totally not interested in MW3 at this point. The guy was touting "New Gameplay Mechanic!!!!!!" during a single player misson, where it bounced between you controlling a AC-130 and being on the ground during one mission................ hmmmmmmmm, for some reason, I seem to recall something similar in Black Ops...........

That's it? That's all the innovation we're gonna see from this MW? I sure hope not, but if I recall correctly, this will be the first MW without the original founding members driving the product.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2011
    Modern Warfare 3 will be good, always is. I don't think that's a question. The question has been whether BF3 will equal the success of the Call of Duty series.

I'm happy for the split and competition because it means more games and developers being forced to up the ante. Respawn is working on a new game and has tons of talent from the Modern Warfare Series and the God of War series. Check out the biographies:

http://www.respawn.com/company/
  • shepx2
    edited October 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Modern Warfare 3 will be good, always is. I don't think that's a question. The question has been whether BF3 will equal the success of the Call of Duty series.

I'm happy for the split and competition because it means more games and developers being forced to up the ante. Respawn is working on a new game and has tons of talent from the Modern Warfare Series and the God of War series. Check out the biographies:

http://www.respawn.com/company/

I'm sure it will be "good", but will it be great? No. Will it be better and/or much different from the last few? Probably not. Activision has sucked the innovation out of the developers as most big corporations tend to do to people over time. And it dawned on me that while I may still buy MW3, I'm no longer excited for it, and that makes me sad as it marks the end of a long run for them :cry:

Thanks for the link. There's some great talent there. Maybe the freedom they have with this new start-up will allow them to create something revolutionary.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2011
    I was just reading a thread on Joystiq and a fair amount of people feel the same way as we do. A lot of complaints about no vehicles and no destructive environment in the beta when it was in the alpha. I really hope it is just a beta thing, but with the game being released in less than a month, I don't see how they can fix all of this.

I honestly have never played any of the MW games. I have BF3 on pre-order, but am leaning a bit towards canceling that and picking up MW3. It's a shame, because I really like BF:BC2 (as crazy as that sounds) and was hoping that BF3 would be better.

I have to keep telling myself its just a beta, I guess.

The PC version had vehicles and plans and helicopters and in general it felt like BF2. I think the teamwork aspect works well in the Battlefield games - though again, I'm not sure how it'll be with smaller teams on the consoles. I played BF BC2 online last night for a bit (PC) and it was ok - I think BF3 plays better. Might be a different experience on 360 though. I'm hopeful for the final version of BF3.

COD is fun in its own way - esp if you get good at it. But again it's less team work and more run and gun right. But I do enjoy the single player campaigns.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs