Audiophiles are crazy!

Options

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Youd have to be a moron for upgrading your system so a bad recording can sound better...

My point exactly. Audiophiles are crazy!

And it doesn't stop with bad recordings. We try to make great recordings sound greater? For what???? How great does great need to be in order for it to be great? What's greater than great?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »

And it doesn't stop with bad recordings. We try to make great recordings sound greater? For what???? How great does great need to be in order for it to be great? What's greater than great?

God, I know what you are really going through. I felt the same way after I returned my Emotiva amps and had nothing to replace them. Stop thinking so much :) You're making yourself crazier than you already are! All this time on your hands with no tunes . . .
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2008
    Options
    all i have to do is power up my 4 18's with some good sub sonic sound and the ladies look at me if they are in love sence i take their breath away.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2008
    Options
    then You the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonzo

RT1
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2008
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    I normally rip them apart and expect the same when people listen to mine. After all, if you don't know what is wrong how can you fix it. The last system I listened to (way better than mine) we tossed bad points back and forth for over an hour. You would have thought we were critiqing a sony boom box.
    madmax

My question is, was it "wrong" before somebody else said so? If it pleased you before the friend mentioned something, did it magically degrade at that moment?
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    God, I know what you are really going through. I felt the same way after I returned my Emotiva amps and had nothing to replace them. Stop thinking so much :) You're making yourself crazier than you already are! All this time on your hands with no tunes . . .
    What did you have them for, a week!?!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SolidSqual
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    What did you have them for, a week!?!

I had them for a little over two weeks. After some amp comparisons, I realized the Emotivas were a little harsh by comparison and accented details in the music that were intended to be more subtle. Don't get me wrong, they were the best amps in my system at the time, but not anymore.
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2008
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    I've been discovering this myself. Everytime I want to 'demo' something to somebody-something is off-not quite right, either the bass is boomy, lacking or its too bright, etc. It just doesn't sound the way it was when I originally heard bliss.

Perhaps its performance anxiety? Hoping your system is acccepted as sounding really good and that you're not left looking insane for spending so much time and money on something that they think sounds awful??? Or that your system only sounds good with stuff that might take an aquired taste for?

Or perhaps You are normally in the sweet spot, and now they are in your sweet spot and you discover that outsiode the sweet spot its not so sweet??? I get some funny looks when I say, " Oh no, you have to sit here to listen to it." :eek:

I said 'demo' not audition. I never said anything about getting bent out of shape or crying about it if the visitor doesn't quite like it. I only mentioned the term 'performance anxiety' just as a general term-to get the idea of what I was talking about.

Your system may sound good to you, when its just you-sweet spots can come into play. Not all systems are 2 channel solo listening systems. I am also into achieving an awesome Home Theater experience-I don't typically watch movies alone, I watch with my wife, and or freinds, my kids. When I host a party, and folks want to watch the game-I want it to take them to the game, i want them to enjoy themselves both visually and acoustically. When I had a party for Labor day, I receieved several comments on how good the outdoor speakers i recently installed sounded. I didn't spend a fortune and we all had some good converstaion about how they were setup, etc, etc. The outdoor speakers sounding good, made for a better overall entertainment experience for my guests.

You spend a lot of time building a nice system, making it sound and look nice. You take pride in it-nothing wrong with that, (unless of course you then proceed to belittle and berate the visitor for how god awful thier system sounds-I would never ever do that to somebody!!.)
    Its a hobby-not a sickness (well, hmm.). Its for enjoyment. Me personally, I like to share my enjoyment. Perhaps turn others on to what a good system can sound like. I was and am amazed at how well my system sounds today, just 6 months after I started this whole upgrade endeavor. I wish I had heard somebody else's system and had some guidance on how to achieve the same goal-I would have saved a lot of time and money.

This is the whole reason we are all even posting on this forum isn't it? If you're all happy and content and expect no more, why even login anymore. I suspect its because you want to continue to share your knowledge and enable others (and probably snag a few good deals inthe FM :cool:).
    I like to demo my system (not show it off) to show my friends how cool it can be when its setup right-to show them that they can actually hear sounds in a song that they never heard before. . Actually you can even turn them on to music that they never cared for before, that simply sounds so good on a well desigend system , that simply sounds horrible on 'standard' systems. That is howe I got the upgrade bug to begin with, by hearing a friends system with music I previous found unlistenable-it actually sounded good. Who know you might even get a new 'audiophile friend out of it. And that you don't need to spend a fortune and hire outside installers, etc to have the good sound and entertainment experience. Relatively speaking, I put my system together on the cheap. And I would be more than happy to assist any of my friends or visitors to accomplish the same. But this is also a hobby for me, so I tend to spend more or go beyond what I really need (which my wife would be very quick to point out).

When you buy a new house and spend money (regardless of the amount) and time to decorate it, typically when you have friends over the first time, you take them on a nickel tour, no? Why bother? Its your house, what do you care what others think of your house or how nice your guest bedroom set is in the room its in?

You take cooking classes, you enjoy cooking-you spend money and time, you set the table-you cook a meal-you take pride in that-you would undoubtedly be worried if everybody is enjoying the meal no? If you don't relaly care what others think about the food, why bother cooking or having them over for dinner to begin with.

Everybody has thier own musical tastes. Their own acoustic limitations (room size, neighbors, tight walleted spouses, kids). For some a set of headphones is nice. For some its not even music, but 'spoken word'. For some its about the Home theater. For some they have no local friends or family. Its just too broad a genre to summarize in any one thread or response.

Just some thoughts :o
    Madden

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • SolidSqual
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Can someone summarize the above? I'm from the generation of text messaging and AOL.
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2008
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Can someone summarize the above? I'm from the generation of text messaging and AOL.

I did try to summarize with my first post. :rolleyes:

Sorry I post so long. :o I just can't ever seem to get my point across without somebody misunderstanding it if I don't say enough. Although I have been told about posts/emails that are too long as well.

Besides, this is a discussion forum, not a text messaing/IM forum. :p

:o:o:o

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    My question is, was it "wrong" before somebody else said so? If it pleased you before the friend mentioned something, did it magically degrade at that moment?

Yes!

When someone points out a flaw you had not noticed yourself, all of a sudden you can hear it because you now notice it. Take someone who doesn't know anything about soundstage and is loving the way their system sounds, even though the voice is at the top of the room and everything is spaced in the wrong place. Once you make the argument on where the sounds should be coming from (like on an actual stage) they are no longer happy with what they are listening to. So, what happens next? The speakers get moved to fix the problem and they are happy as a clam until the next revelation gets pointed out to them. Maybe they have one note bass. They know they have big bass sound and it makes the music sound exciting but after you point it out they start getting annoyed with it because everything sounds the same. New sub, problem solved. Happy as a clam again. ;)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    Some recordings are just trash. We all know that. But, just because a couple pieces sound like crap does not lead me to upgrade based on that alone.

I don't sweat demoing for anybody or anything. I don't understand all the talk of trying to impress friends. I'm the only one who needs to be impressed, unless of course the friend's are footing the bill!

We also don't need to justify the sums we spent to anyone except maybe a significant other. If spending large sums of money to enhance MY quality of life is what I want to do, that is all that matters.

I only work to live, not live to work. It is only money, we'll make more.

Gordon

Ya but looking at your sig., I hate the sound already you better let me get rid of that for you :biggrin:.

Dave
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't know what you guys are on about. I've never heard a system that sounded the 'same' on two different occasions. I get up in the morning and look out the window to see if it's cloudy, sunny, or raining. Then I put on some tunes and yep....it's a bit different from yesterday...and I know it won't sound like that tomorrow!

Am I the only one here who experiences this? Or am I just a pan-dimensional Being from...

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Great thread, very informative. I thought it was my wonderful personality that made me successful with the ladies. Now the bubble has been burst....

I'm happily married but I guess continuously upgrading my system is simply helping me keep my game. I'll keep that from the wife. But I have noticed that she seems to be more inclined :cool: each time I make an improvement to the system.

When folks come to my house my wife has to always make some remark about the system but they always wind up in the best listening seat of the house. When I go to other peoples homes I often rehook up their system correctly. It's shocking how people can have decent gear and not hook it up properly.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2011
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    It must be the changing position of the earth in the universe that makes your system sound different everytime you listen to it. This may be the key to the scientific explanation as to why different cables make a difference too. Celestial resonance may be at work.
    You truly are an idiot. http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Enviromental%20Effects%20on%20the%20Speed%20of%20Sound.pdf
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It could have something to do with the power grid as well, IMO my system always sounds best at night..
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »

I saved that, thanks!!!

Idiot at his best!!! I just ignored his dumb **** post..
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2011
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are on about. I've never heard a system that sounded the 'same' on two different occasions. I get up in the morning and look out the window to see if it's cloudy, sunny, or raining. Then I put on some tunes and yep....it's a bit different from yesterday...and I know it won't sound like that tomorrow!

Am I the only one here who experiences this? Or am I just a pan-dimensional Being from...

cnh

That is pushing the level of credibility to say you can discern a difference in sound with the same gear, in the same room, with the same song, every time you play it.

Then again, I swear my car rides better after I wash it. :wink:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2015
    Options

LSD is bad mkay
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2015
    Options

Were you asking me that question? If so then yes I know that atmospheric conditions can occasionally make the system sound different. Especially if you have a good system with quality wire that can convey those differences. However, that is completely different than saying every time the same system is played in the same room with the same song it sounds different. If your gear is that erratic in sound consistency then it has a hardware problem.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I get a laugh from the I have done modifications to my speakers guy, such as replaced the tweeters or re foamed my woofers and others, as if no one else is capable of doing the same thing, kinda like the computer geek that has added more ram or put in a wifi modem on a desktop computer or built an awesome computer because i'm a gamer guy same thing most are capable of doing that also, how about I built my own deck guy, from a kit with the plans that Lowe's gave you when you purchased the materials, that dont make you a carpenter. How about the I just rebuilt my carb, with a carb rebuild kit from auto zone, those are the guys you gotta laugh at, as if they had the biggest you know what, stereo typical for the i'm an audiophile guy. You got to laugh at these crazy individuals.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've been tweaking Dac settings AGAIN for the last hour.
    Yes ,we put too much effort into it. Sometimes it does pay off, though.
    But just as often, it just sounds different. Some things better, some worse.
    And to top it off, when we think it's right, it may not sound like the
    artist intended it to. There really isn't a audio "reference" standard
    we can use to tweak the sound. It's a taste thing, like adding the
    "right" amount of salt to a dish. My right won't be your "right".
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited October 2011
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    However, that is completely different than saying every time the same system is played in the same room with the same song it sounds different. If your gear is that erratic in sound consistency then it has a hardware problem.

Or it could just be his mood.
  • gudnoyez
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ha Ha to funny looks like junior soiled himself after moding his speakers, must be a audiophile
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Guys, dry humor and philosophy...it's not that unusual or...perplexing? Everything 'always' changes even 'oneself'!

Or as, an old ancestor, Heraclitus, once said: "No man ever steps in the same river twice".

I guess I just have to tone down the reflexivity/relativity. lol

That's hard to do when you find yourself in Chicago instead of at Steve's PolkFest due to life crises involving one's family. But that's another story, where one never knows what tomorrow will bring.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »

Live music IMHO, it's the recreation of live music I'm looking for.

RT1, hilarious posts every one. Love it.

And I'm quite stoked about my modded speakers. They kick ****.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 662
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    BAH! I got over 1100 watts of Silver 7t power pushing a set of Amazings! Good recording? Bad recording? Who cares! Crank it and rock out! WOOHOO!

Remember, if your neighbor's windows aren't rattling, it ain't loud enough!

MY Neighbors called the Police on me,seriously.I was breaking my MIT Cables in with a Burn in/break in CD. left it on while I was at work... The Policeman left his card in my door... "turn it down,neighbors are complaining" true story. :)
    PolkAudioClyde
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Had the same thing happen when i was demoing some old kllpsch towers i was trying to dump. The buyer brought some cd's he burned. They were aweful recordings and he said my speakers sounded terrible. He was right. So I put on some good recordings and his head spun around a few times and iexclaimed " oh great I have to spend 500.00 to make these speakers sound good" and I said yep, welcome to the rabbit hole. Been there , done that.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • gudnoyez
    edited October 2011
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    What is so laughable about doing it yourself? Professionals who build things seldom do their own designs. They receive plans from engineers, architects or designers.

So why is it laughable for the amateur to do the same?

People love to make or modify things as part of their hobby. They all have differing skill levels, so they do what they can. To me that is commendable not laughable.

Thats my point people take pride in doing things themself's just like you or me, its the ones that are capable of such things, and think they are better than others, just because they are capable of such tasks does not make them professionals and gives them no reason to stick thier noses up in the air dawn the dinner jacket and sip the finest congac, and look at others as common folk, thats whats laughable.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,273
    edited October 2011
    Options
    When you futz with stuff, you learn stuff.

.... if you don't kill yourself in the process.
    Sal Palooza