Audiophiles are crazy!

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2011 in The Clubhouse
I popped in a poorly recorded CD yesterday and it sounded horrible.

Go ahead, say it in unison --- "No sh@@, Sherlock..."

OK, so what do we do about it? We keep upgrading to make the system sound better, and the better it sounds, the worse some of our favorite recordings become. That's crazy.

One day I wanted to show off my system, so a friend of mine came over with a few of his favorite CDs. Of course, they weren't well recorded, so I got frustrated, interrupted his listening session, and played some of my better recorded material so he could hear what he was missing. What an ****! (I'm referring to me, not him.)

So what's the point of this? I dunno, but I'll be making some more upgrades soon so I can continue ranting about how bad my good music sounds.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited September 2008
    Options
    LOL had the same thing happen about a week ago....friend brough a few Cd's that he recorded over to listen too...put his Cd in and it sounded like chit..he looked at me with that WTF look on his face....tried to explain that a lousy recorded cd will sound just like that lousy......ended up going back to his place and playing them on his system.......
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2008
    Options
    yes, well next time just make sure you put your jacket on and light the pipe with some fine tobacco, then as your friend listens to his music make some small grunting type sounds, do a few raised eyebrows, purse your lips at some point and steeple your fingers as you **** your head a few times, throw in a few ahh ha's for good measure...............after the CD is over you can explain it all to your bright eyed friend sending him into the rabbit hole with the rest of us.

RT1
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It sounds like more new gear... here.. :)
  • Hilbert
    Hilbert Posts: 316
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Obviously a true audiophile should have a sound system from every decade, starting with maybe the 20s, and always play back his stuff on the temporally appropriate rig.

I listened to "Songs for Swingin' Lovers" on my newly amplified Monitor 50s yesterday and was appalled. LSi9s arriving this afternoon...shelling out $900 to make things sound worse...:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hilbert wrote: »
    Obviously a true audiophile should have a sound system from every decade, starting with maybe the 20s, and always play back his stuff on the temporally appropriate rig.

I agree totally! I actually use a victrolla for early 20's stuff and even a mono 45/78 rpm which I route through my high end rig for 30's through 60's stuff. After all, most music was recorded in such a way as to make it sound good coming out of the current state of the art equipment.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ajanzalone
    ajanzalone Posts: 128
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    I popped in a poorly recorded CD yesterday and it sounded horrible.

Go ahead, say it in unison --- "No ****, Sherlock..."
    So what's the point of this? I dunno, but I'll be making some more upgrades soon so I can continue ranting about how bad my good music sounds.

Ahhhhhh The light is on.... and I thought it was just me!

It's a form of insanity:
    to keep doing the same thing over & over ... and expect a different result! :D

I refuse to dig out my old vinyl, turntable and dynavector cartridge .... :eek:
    Tony
    Audio Research SP5 Preamp
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Outlaw 950 preamp/processor
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Velodyne VRP 1200 Sub Woofer

Success is having what you want ... but Happiness is wanting what you have!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,085
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I hear ya... but...

There is equipment out there (some of it even pretty good) that'll make even bad sounding stuff palatable. The 1970s era ads speakers come to mind (the 1970s Polks will do it, too, to some extent). Quad ESL-57s will do it as well. Interestingly, almost by definition a speaker that makes a poor recording sound good (even sort-of good) is colored in its reproduction... but the ads (e.g., the L-710, of which I have a pair) and the ESL-57s arent' generally considered 'colored' speakers.

Conversely, speakers like the old Klipsch "Heritage" line (earlier versions of the Heresy, Cornwall, LaScalle, Belle Klipsch, and K-horn) are ruthless when poor(er) quality source material is played through them, but can be quite satisfying on excellent recordings. Vintage Fisher tube receivers smooth out the rough edges (e.g., of Cornies) quite nicely, though.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2008
    Options
    there is a reason why I have my hi fi gear (or mid fi to some of you people :D ), along with an Ipod. there is definitly material that sounds better on the ipid and car stereo than my actual 2 channel rig. I try not to let it bother me, its just a different tools for different jobs situation in my eyes.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I've completed the 12 step program that now allows me to only like well recorded and mastered music. I can't pronounce most of the names of the groups or the songs, but I'm sure there is a reason I am supposed to like it :(

Seriously, it's too easy to fall into the "that sounds like crap" and start listening to the gear, and not the music.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited September 2008
    Options
    BAH! I got over 1100 watts of Silver 7t power pushing a set of Amazings! Good recording? Bad recording? Who cares! Crank it and rock out! WOOHOO!

Remember, if your neighbor's windows aren't rattling, it ain't loud enough!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited September 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This is the reason than this hobby is mostly a singular hobby. It's usally me and my system and that's it. It's a one to one thing and I actually have issues when more than myself is in the room doing critical listening. RAS meets notwithstanding.

H9

I know what the problem is!

You live in a van, down by the river!

You need Dynamat and lots of it!

• mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This is the reason than this hobby is mostly a singular hobby. It's usally me and my system and that's it. It's a one to one thing and I actually have issues when more than myself is in the room doing critical listening.

I've been discovering this myself. Everytime I want to 'demo' something to somebody-something is off-not quite right, either the bass is boomy, lacking or its too bright, etc. It just doesn't sound the way it was when I originally heard bliss.

Perhaps its performance anxiety? Hoping your system is acccepted as sounding really good and that you're not left looking insane for spending so much time and money on something that they think sounds awful??? Or that your system only sounds good with stuff that might take an aquired taste for?

Or perhaps You are normally in the sweet spot, and now they are in your sweet spot and you discover that outsiode the sweet spot its not so sweet??? I get some funny looks when I say, " Oh no, you have to sit here to listen to it." :eek:

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Fortunately, most music worth hearing is well recorded, but there are some classics I wish could be "fixed."

When I really think about it, only about 2% of my music is just unlistenable.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Some recordings are just trash. We all know that. But, just because a couple pieces sound like crap does not lead me to upgrade based on that alone.

I don't sweat demoing for anybody or anything. I don't understand all the talk of trying to impress friends. I'm the only one who needs to be impressed, unless of course the friend's are footing the bill!

We also don't need to justify the sums we spent to anyone except maybe a significant other. If spending large sums of money to enhance MY quality of life is what I want to do, that is all that matters.

I only work to live, not live to work. It is only money, we'll make more.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • madmax
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The thing that bugs me is you can take a single recording (or maybe even 10 or 15) and make them sound absolutely lifelike, but it is always at the expense of the rest of the collection. To get the most out of a whole collection you can't tweak for those few that really shine.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Nice philosophy Hawkeye & one I pretty much agree with.

It must be a guy thing always wanting to show off and try to impress someone else with what you got. My system is MY system. Like it or don't I couldn't care less.

When I go to someone else's house, I don't sit there and critically listen to their system to give them my thoughts on it. That would be terribly rude!

I know and accept that very few in my circle actually care about audio & certainly not enough to spend the kind of money that I have spent on mine. And that is totally cool.

The only time I critically listen to my MUSIC is when I bring in a new cd. I know that I have the best equipment that I can afford, so I don't need to listen to my system. I just have to listen to & enjoy my music!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jstas
    edited September 2008
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Nice philosophy Hawkeye & one I pretty much agree with.

It must be a guy thing always wanting to show off and try to impress someone else with what you got.

Not necessarily.

When you have a stereo that is as physically imposing and unique looking as a set of say maggies or carver Amazings along with amps with giant meters on thr from and a small power light and that's pretty much it aside from a switch, people ask. They ask out of curiosity and/or disbelief. Some want to know how a treated ribbon of metal film on a mylar substrate can make sound yet not be attached to anything that pysically moves. Some are just in awe of the imposing power that 5 foot + speakers put out there. Others just want to know what's wrong wiith me.

If you have a small stereo with bookshelf speakers, most people see it and say "Eh, pretty nice." and that's it. But when a stereo, just a stereo, takes up an entire wall without a TV instead of just a corner, people get intrigued. They want to listen, they ask questions. They put out the macho bravado and say "Let's see what it can do!"

Then again, even if a peerson, not just guys, wants to show off the stereo, it's not an ego thing for most people in this hobby. It's a pride thing in showing someone else what you have devoted a chunk of your time to in an effort to achieve something you think is spectacular. You just want to share your enthusiams and appreciation. When people put it down as just "showing off", that's kind of a personal blow and a valid reason why many "audiophiles" become upset. Same goes with car guys or sports guys or whatever someone has worked hard at achieving something beyond ordinary.

If you think I'm making more out if that I am then I pity you because you obviously haven't felt pasion for anything on that level in your life yet otherwise you'd understand where I was coming from. And it's not a silly" guy thing" and "girls are more mature than that". It's the human condition and a struggle against odds that we are faced with every day and have to overcome. When you put effort in to something that is out of the ordinary, the odds against you are even worse. When you over come those odds and are successful, it's an even greater accomplishment for most people and all they want to do is share their triumph and hopefully inspire others to thier own triumphs.

• madmax
    edited September 2008
    Options
    When I go to someone else's house, I don't sit there and critically listen to their system to give them my thoughts on it. That would be terribly rude!

I normally rip them apart and expect the same when people listen to mine. After all, if you don't know what is wrong how can you fix it. The last system I listened to (way better than mine) we tossed bad points back and forth for over an hour. You would have thought we were critiqing a sony boom box.
    madmax

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2008
    Options
    A poorly recorded album/cd is IMHO abosolutely pathetic considering the technology and knowledge/skill available. But, the traditional record companies don't give a damn about quality anymore. It's all about max dynamic compression for the mp3 crowd.

The Lenny Kravitz album sold thru Kohl's Department stores is a perfect example. Kravitz is a talented guy and his music has a hint of Bruce Springsteen of the 70's-80's. But the sound is so compressed, it lacks any sense of a soundstage.

Until the artists demand better, quality recording will be left to those artist who refuse to compromise.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • cfrizz
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I don't need you to feel sorry for me Jstas, The things I feel passionate about are simply different from yours. Pride & ego go hand in hand my friend, and again, I don't need to have either one validated by anyone else. Most certainly over some audio equipment. If someone likes & praises my system great, if not who cares? Not me.

Audiophiles "achieving something beyond ordinary?" WHAT??? Please it's a stereo system NOT brain surgery, not curing cancer, or changing the world! These things are truly "beyond ordinary". Not having some fancy expensive stereo gear.

Jstas wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

When you have a stereo that is as physically imposing and unique looking as a set of say maggies or carver Amazings along with amps with giant meters on thr from and a small power light and that's pretty much it aside from a switch, people ask. They ask out of curiosity and/or disbelief. Some want to know how a treated ribbon of metal film on a mylar substrate can make sound yet not be attached to anything that pysically moves. Some are just in awe of the imposing power that 5 foot + speakers put out there. Others just want to know what's wrong wiith me.

If you have a small stereo with bookshelf speakers, most people see it and say "Eh, pretty nice." and that's it. But when a stereo, just a stereo, takes up an entire wall without a TV instead of just a corner, people get intrigued. They want to listen, they ask questions. They put out the macho bravado and say "Let's see what it can do!"

Then again, even if a person, not just guys, wants to show off the stereo, it's not an ego thing for most people in this hobby. It's a pride thing in showing someone else what you have devoted a chunk of your time to in an effort to achieve something you think is spectacular. You just want to share your enthusiams and appreciation. When people put it down as just "showing off", that's kind of a personal blow and a valid reason why many "audiophiles" become upset. Same goes with car guys or sports guys or whatever someone has worked hard at achieving something beyond ordinary.

If you think I'm making more out if that I am then I pity you because you obviously haven't felt pasion for anything on that level in your life yet otherwise you'd understand where I was coming from. And it's not a silly" guy thing" and "girls are more mature than that". It's the human condition and a struggle against odds that we are faced with every day and have to overcome. When you put effort in to something that is out of the ordinary, the odds against you are even worse. When you over come those odds and are successful, it's an even greater accomplishment for most people and all they want to do is share their triumph and hopefully inspire others to thier own triumphs.

Chuck, none in my immediate circle of friends have the slightest interest in audio. And again unless asked I wouldn't volunteer to critique their systems.

madmax wrote: »
    I normally rip them apart and expect the same when people listen to mine. After all, if you don't know what is wrong how can you fix it. The last system I listened to (way better than mine) we tossed bad points back and forth for over an hour. You would have thought we were critiqing a sony boom box.
    madmax
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jstas
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I don't need you to feel sorry for me Jstas, The things I feel passionate about are simply different from yours. Pride & ego go hand in hand my friend, and again, I don't need to have either one validated by anyone else. Most certainly over some audio equipment. If someone likes & praises my system great, if not who cares? Not me.

Audiophiles "achieving something beyond ordinary?" WHAT??? Please it's a stereo system NOT brain surgery, not curing cancer, or changing the world! These things are truly "beyond ordinary". Not having some fancy expensive stereo gear.

Umm, I think you're missing the point. You're going outside the scope of the discussion. A Sony boombox or a Sharp shelf-system is what most people would think of as ordinary in a stereo. What I have and what many other people here have is decidedly NOT ordinary. If it was, there wouldn't be a specific term like "audiophile" invented to describe such a thing.

And honestly, some of the stuff I have done with stereos from repairing components to wiring cars to building components from a pile of parts most people I know think is something on the level of brain surgery. Not that I'm trying to toot my own horn. I'm immersed in a highly technical field every day of my life. But it's all about realms of knowledge and expertise.

And yes, pride is part of an ego thing but it's not always negative and people shouldn't have to feel bad about something they have, did or enjoy just because people like you think they shouldn't.

• reeltrouble1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have had a few women snuggle up to me after seeing my power cords.

It usually goes something like "ooooh Big Daddy what does that do":D

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sho nuff... the ladies LOVE Ted's MagicPower.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • reeltrouble1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    There was a time when if a fellow did not have a tight home stereo he had no chance of ever rounding first.

RT1
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2008
    Options
    When I was in college I had a Bose Lifestyle 25 system. Then I met a girl my senior year. Shortly thereafter I bought my first Polks. As time progressed I was getting laid more and more by only one girl. Now, I have a wicked system and can't go a day without checking this forum. I believe there is a direct inverse correlation between the quality of my system and the number of girls who have sex with me.

I recommend all college kids buy a sony boombox.
  • madmax
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Chuck, none in my immediate circle of friends have the slightest interest in audio. And again unless asked I wouldn't volunteer to critique their systems.

Its not like I normally walk into someones house and unexpectantly say "your stereo sounds like ****" although I can remember the time... :D

Besides, if they don't have the slightest interest then they probably have an oversized boom box or something. I save the really bad remarks for systems over $5K and under 200wpc. :)
    madmax

Edit: Maybe if you expressed an interest they would see the need to move up.

• cfrizz
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You're missing my point. I take pride in my system too. I just don't get all bent out of shape if others don't think it's a big deal, because it really isn't in the bigger scheme of things. I certainly don't think you shouldn't have pride in your system or feel badly about it.

So long as you are proud of it & enjoy it that is all that matters. But if you're going to get an attitude with people because you think they should feel as proud of your system as you do, then this is where the negative ego comes in.

This is the true difference between so called Audiophiles & everyone else.

Just like with everything else, when something is taken to an extreme, it usually ends up being a negative.
    Jstas wrote: »
    And yes, pride is part of an ego thing but it's not always negative and people shouldn't have to feel bad about something they have, did or enjoy just because people like you think they shouldn't.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,100
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Youd have to be a moron for upgrading your system so a bad recording can sound better...

Only way to get those things to sound better is buy a junk rig! or listen in your car...

I have heard very few recordings that I dont like on my system...

The bad sound ok and the good sound great... cant beat it...

Listening right now as I sit here! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Youd have to be a moron for downgrading your system so a bad recording can sound better...
    Fixed.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche