Need some help with enclosure design advice

JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
edited October 2011 in Custom Fabrication
So I've been working up a new enclosure for my Silverado on and off for the past few months, and wanted to get some advice. My concern is the feet of the enclosure. Is it going to be strong enough the way I have it? With all of the dadoing I've built in, I'm not to concerned about the structural integrity of the enclosure, but wanted an opinion on the feet.

Here's where you can find my Google SketchUp file:
JBL W15GTi Ported Enclosure Draft shortened baffle.skp | Game Front

Let me know what you think.

P.s. - It's obviously not the JBL W15GTi in the enclosure. I just threw a model of a 15" in for the sake of having something there.
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2011
    any chance you can throw up a jpg/bmp/pic of it?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Will these do? Tell me if you need more angles.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Will these do? Tell me if you need more angles.

Those work fine. Personally I would have the back and sides closed in and ONLY have holes on the bottom front lip. Kinda like a big slot port.....

What thickness of wood we talking about as well? That does make a difference.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Those work fine. Personally I would have the back and sides closed in and ONLY have holes on the bottom front lip. Kinda like a big slot port.....
    Wouldn't that affect tuning?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Face wrote: »
    Wouldn't that affect tuning?

That's what I was afraid of, hence me making it as open as it is. The enclosure is already tuned to 24 Hz as is, so I don't wanna mess with that.

What thickness of wood we talking about as well? That does make a difference.
    Like Face mentioned, I didn't wanna potentially mess with tuning, plus I wanna keep weight down where I can. This is already a big, heavy SOB, and I don't wanna make it any worse than I have to. All of the legs except the outer-most side ones are 1" MDF.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Also, my driver mounting baffle is 3/4" with a 3/4" recess/port flare baffle on top of it. Does this count as "double facing" when I glue them together to make a 1.5" front baffle?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    That's what I was afraid of, hence me making it as open as it is. The enclosure is already tuned to 24 Hz as is, so I don't wanna mess with that.

Like Face mentioned, I didn't wanna potentially mess with tuning, plus I wanna keep weight down where I can. This is already a big, heavy SOB, and I don't wanna make it any worse than I have to. All of the legs except the outer-most side ones are 1" MDF.
    Also, my driver mounting baffle is 3/4" with a 3/4" recess/port flare baffle on top of it. Does this count as "double facing" when I glue them together to make a 1.5" front baffle?

You are correct, it could affect tuning I think. You might be ok since your going with 1" MDF. Maybe if nothing else add a couple pieces of 2x4 in the corners & middle for extra strength if you want to keep those holes.
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    I calculated the weight out in an excel speadsheet, and it should tip the scales at approxmiately 330, including the woofers, amplifier, and processor. There's also things that will be going in the cubbies on the side and front shelves, so I'm sure we're looking at upwards of 400 lbs on a regular basis.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Good lord, you gonna forklift it the truck?
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Good lord, you gonna forklift it the truck?

LOL nah, I'm removing a door and all of the seats/consoles, so that should make it a pretty easy job for a few guys.

Here's the spreadsheet where I tabbed it all out:
    Subwoofer Weight Spreadsheet.xls | Game Front
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2011
    That's quite an impressive enclosure. Turning your truck into a two seater I see. Be sure to wear earphones....