Epson 705 and 106" screen setup help

dvran
dvran Posts: 280
edited September 2011 in Electronics
I just bought my Epson 705 with a 106" Dalite screen.

This is my first projector setup. Does anyone have any input on how you installed this stuff?

I'm trying to decide what to install first; the projector or the screen. The mount weights about 8-10 pounds, and with the projector, it's almost at 18 pounds, so I can't hold it up on the ceiling while trying to position to the screen. The screen is also heavier than I thought, 30 pounds.

Did some of you guys mount the projector close to where it should be (distance from screen), then mount the screen to the wall and try to line it up with the image?

Just asking because there are no instructions on how the two pieces (screen and projector) should be set up.

Thanks!
~Dan

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
Receiver: Onkyo 607
Fronts: Polk 1000i
Center: Polk Csi40
Rears: Polk Fxi30
Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
PS3 and Xbox
Post edited by dvran on

Comments

• dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2011
    Position the screen first. You have to know exactly where you want to look at the image before you worry about where you have to place the projector. Then find a stud to mount the projector to in the area that gives the best image not at it's furthest point (color/pic wash can be an issue) and not at it's closest (you may want to increase the screen size someday :wink:). If you are not sure of the distance place the projector on a stand/table and turn it on and when you find the distance that is where you will want it, mount it. Epsons are easy to adjust (or the ones I have done, 1080's and 1080HD's)

Good luck,
    Dave
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited September 2011
    I suggest hiring a Professional. But Dave pointed out , mount the screen first , then measure back the distance that the projector projects the screen size . You will have a window of like 10 to 16 feet from the screen to the lens. What you wanna do is have the lens about in the middle. So lets say around 13 feet. The lens ask should be dead center and it should be right at the top of the screen so the top of the lens and top of the screen viewing area should be exactly the same height. This will setup you will have NO KEYSTONE correction which in my world is a sin. If you have to keystone correct , you didn't hang the projector in the correct place and your a clown.

Setting up a screen and projector is very easy if you do the job right. I still strongly suggest a Professional.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dvran
    edited September 2011
    Thanks guys. I'll mount the screen first and then fix the projector in the best position. I'll post some pics when completed.
    ~Dan

PS3 and Xbox
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2011
    FYI many HT projectors don't have Keystone correction Mantis. Just figured I would let you know. As for setup OP, I would also suggest you use the projector calulator which should give you rough idea in regards to throw. I would also recommend a laser level when mounting both.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2011
    dvran wrote: »
    I just bought my Epson 705 with a 106" Dalite screen.

This is my first projector setup. Does anyone have any input on how you installed this stuff?

I'm trying to decide what to install first; the projector or the screen. The mount weights about 8-10 pounds, and with the projector, it's almost at 18 pounds, so I can't hold it up on the ceiling while trying to position to the screen. The screen is also heavier than I thought, 30 pounds.

Did some of you guys mount the projector close to where it should be (distance from screen), then mount the screen to the wall and try to line it up with the image?

Just asking because there are no instructions on how the two pieces (screen and projector) should be set up.

Thanks!

If you're even remotely handy you can do this yourself. No need to spend more money when you can do it correctly all by yourself or with a friend.

You can put the projector in the general vicinity of where you're planning on putting it and project the image on the wall first to make sure everything is good before you put your screen up. Read up on Keystone issues so you avoid them. Epsons are pretty versatile with the image shifting, so just figure out where you want to put your screen and that you have enough throw distance for the range of your projector. Make sure the screen is straight! Use a level.

How are you mounting your projector? I'm just curious. I put mine in my living room and opted not to do a permanent install by running the wires through the walls. It works great.

mountd.jpg

mountf.jpg

Then post your screen shots here!
  • dvran
    edited September 2011
    I'm mounting the projector the same way you did. I'll take all the tips you guys have and do this today! Thanks.
    ~Dan

PS3 and Xbox