SVS Sub - vs - Adire Audio 'Rava' Sub

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
edited March 2004 in Speakers
There is no doubt the SVS powered sub is respected on this board as one of, if not the best subwoofer on the market today. (within a reasonable price range)

With that said, has anyone [ever] done a comparison of the SVS and the Adire Audio "Rava" subwoofer?

The Rava just don't seem to get the attention the SVS does on this board ... Is it inferior?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Ron,

Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited March 2004
    I would guess that the SVS isd driver would be pretty similar to the Adire Shiva. The Rava is sealed and all of the SVS subs are ported. A better comparison would probably be the Dharman.
    Graham
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2004
    Agreed, the Dharman is the better match-up to the PB1-ISD or the 20-39PCi, 22-31PCi , 25-31PCi cylinders.

The Rava is a sealed sub, and as such will have great sound with excellent transient characteristics. The down side is limited output and deep extension compared to a vented design.

For most music at moderately loud levels, I think the Rava would be a fine choice.

For HT and music, look at the Dharman.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited March 2004
    Thanks guys for the input ..

Well, I have a Rava, but I only use my stereo sytem for 2 channel audio which is played at low to moderate sound levels. The quality of the system seems very good. The bass is very tight and not boomy at all.

Guess I would not need to upgrade to an SVS unless I get into a 'max' HT system.

Ron,
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2004
    The other nice thing about the Rava, is that sealed subs roll off at a 2nd order (12 dB/octave) slope, as opposed to a much steeper 4th order roll-off of a vented sub below the tune point.

What this means is that a PEQ can be used to extend the low end extension of the Rava into the low 20 Hz region, as long as you keep the overall playback level within the safe operating/excursion limits of the driver. It takes quite a bit of amp power to accomplish this, as the sealed design naturally fights against the air piston in the enclosure as the frequency drops and the cone excursion rises.

Nevetheless, I have seen some really nice PEQ FR curves for the Rava. Just don't go overboard on the total SPL or you will bottom the woof if you try this.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS