I ready for the fireing squad!

2»

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2002
    Amen G..

My 2 cents (I know, it's not worth all of that but):
    I know what G.'s sytems look like. He knows what my systems look like. Quite a few of us involved in this club know what each other's systems look like. Some have their own websites devoted to them and a bunch of us have a club with them all posted together. Some of our systems have been posted and updated for years on at least four semi-private clubs. No one's shy, it's not like they aren't out there. Some have HS's, some have HT's and some have both in separate rooms. All sizes and different price ranges are represented and yet we ALL seem to enjoy what we HAVE. We all seem to enjoy looking for a change or an upgrade or a tweak too.

From a personal view point:
    Not that I have anything against it in the least, I've no reason for such.... I've never visited the Polk showcase. Don't need it, not really interested in it. It's there for those interested in it and who enjoy it. To each their own...
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    Thank you Bob McG. Now onto business.

I don't worship Hitler. I think he and Osama could be lumped into the same category. Osama doesn't do much talking. Good thing. HOWEVER, Adolph loved the microphone. It was nothing more than an ANALOGY. I ATTEMPTED to show that there ARE INDEED people who talk the talk, and walk the walk, even if the walk is a stroll down to hell. Al Sharpton, lots of talk, very little doing of ANYTHING, let alone anything worthwhile. Obviously, you didn't understand those analogies (Hitler or Sharpton). I guess you broke the code on the Rush Limbaugh. Okay, here's one to replace the Hitler for you, and sorry if I offended. Muhammad Ali.
    The greatest motormouth in the history of the world. He was also one helluva "doer". In his prime, he whipped the **** out of any and all takers. Also, in my opinion, his accomplishments OUTSIDE the boxing ring, were far greater contributions to mankind than the one's INSIDE the ring. Take it or leave it.

Perhaps you were, or were not around when America was spelled "Amerika" by the people who advocated the violent overthrow of our government. Those people actually thought the ****'s had a few good ideas.

"Stupidity has a certain charm, ignorance does not."
    FZ
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Perhaps you were, or were not around when America was spelled "Amerika" by the people who advocated the violent overthrow of our government. Those people actually thought the ****'s had a few good ideas.

Whatever you say, little buddy. Once again, people are tending to get a LITTLE TO F*****G EXTREME WHEN TALKING ABOUT SPEAKERS!!! Since when did a discussion on posting our systems have to turn into a convoluted debate on Political Figures?

And might I add if you have so little interest in what is in the system showcase, then why are you posting? Go back to your private clubs, or whatever 'elite' audiophile organizations you belong to. I, for one, love looking at the system showcase and seeing what some of these really cool people on here have!

And for the record, the comment was a 'Seinfeldian' pun, so take your 'Amerika' and get lost.
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2002
    My, my. I guess you weren't taught to work and play well with others. Not that good with reading apprehension either?

What part of the "Opinion Forum" is it you don't understand? Why am I posting? I need your permission or blessing? Dream on bucko.

Where did I loose you with, I have nothing against the system showcase, just no interest in it personally, (You know, like why I don't bother posting there and perhaps why others don't?) it's for those who have an interest and enjoy it, ( Like you and others?) and to each their own. (As in different strokes for different folks?)

I mentioned a lot of the members in here already have their systems posted, so others would realize it. The last thing the other clubs are and have been are "elite". Just the opposite. Not that you would pass jugment on something you're not familiar with. (Wait! Isn't that what you just did?)
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    I appologize Bob, I did make a mistake. I was reading both posts from you and your friend George and thought he had said that part about not being interested in the Showcase. I really didn't mean to get you involved, although it seems I have. I'm truly sorry. :(

I DO however have a problem with people taking themselves a little too seriously for comfort. If you did notice, my first post totally joking around, with smiley faces and all. I then have to get belittled about my damn screen name by someone? That's NOT what the forum is about. It is about sharing information, helping out, and having FUN with audio.

I really don't understand how we got here. I'm sorry if I offended you George with my 'audio ****' comment...it was simply to try to make light of people getting a little to extreme and serious in a discusion on something we all love, audio. Like the 'soup ****' (love those episodes) :D

Different Strokes for Different Folks, this is true.

john
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    JohnAm......
    I tried my best to demonstrate that someone could do a lot of talking and a lot of doing. While those political figures had nothing to do with audio, I just figured they would be recognizable by just about everyone on the planet. Lets face it, I know guys at work who talk a lot and do a lot, but wouldn't expect ANYBODY but me to be familiar with them.

As far as your name, I just wanted to bring your attention to the fact that at one time, Amerika was NOT a flattering term for the U.S. of A. If you are a bit younger than we, you might be the most patriotic guy on your block, and not aware of the meaning of the name you're using. Wasn't poking fun at it. That's all, nothing more and nothing less. Don't know anything about soup-****'s, cause I don't know anything about Seinfeld.

Bob's views on the showcase are also mine. You got a great system? Great! Maybe someday I'll LISTEN to it. Looking at it just isn't the same. I don't post pictures of my rig for the same reason. You can look at it all day, and not know what it sounds like. Me and you have a fresh start here okay?

"I figure the odds be 50-50, I just might have something to say."
    FZ
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2002
    No problem here. We can all get a bit ruffled at times.

I wasn't looking for or expecting an apology, but being offered one, man to man, I accept it. Apologies are a rare thing these days and this is just a hobby. A fun one most of the time.

For the most part, the people I've met in the Polk Forums over the last three years are great people. They will go out of their way to help you out when you need them. Believe me, a great group. Not one of us is the "know all end to audio" nor do I know anyone here who thinks they are or claims to be. However, there are some people here that have many years and a great deal of experiance in the field of audio. There are quite a few that have been through the vinyl/analog years to the present digital/surround/video era. There are some that may not have thirty years invested but who have the video/surrond world down pat. We can ALL learn from each other in here. Some are more knowledgeable in audio and some in video. Not everyone is going to agree with everything all the time. That would be stale, boring, and very well, un-human like. And........................I'll shut up now. (Climbing off soapbox here...)