Need some help with installing subs

cult4d5
cult4d5 Posts: 7
edited September 2011 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Off the bat, just so yall know, I'm a noob to the site but not subs or audio in general.

I have a 95 bmw 525i. I already re-upholstered the back dash and fit some new 5.25's and some 6x9's in boxes. I had a dual 10" box with 2 memphis 15-pr10d dvc subs running off of the kenwood kac-9105d 1800w amp. They sounded good and clear but I knew that even though the ski hole was open that the trunk was absorbing a lot of the kick. Now my plan is to get a 3rd sub and install one in the middle of the back dash and the other two subs IN the back seats. Not with the face of the subs in between the seat and the body of the car with the magnet sticking out into the trunk. But actually so that the subs sink into the back part of the rear seats and are visible.

My question is that I'm pretty sure the magnet is going to have to protrude into the trunk a little bit which is fine. I dont mind the fabrication. I welcome it! So am I going to need to enclose the sub from the rest of the trunk or will it be fine being actually going through the seats and the seat/body behind the seats forming an enclosure? same with the dash sub.

Thanks, sounds a little confusing so just ask and ill clarify
Post edited by cult4d5 on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2011
    Seems like you want to run free-air subs right?

Only if the sub calls for such an application would I go ahead with it.

Why the 3rd sub btw? Going to use it as a mid-bass driver? What are your goals here, SPL?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited September 2011
    cult4d5 wrote: »
    My question is that I'm pretty sure the magnet is going to have to protrude into the trunk a little bit which is fine. I dont mind the fabrication. I welcome it! So am I going to need to enclose the sub from the rest of the trunk or will it be fine being actually going through the seats and the seat/body behind the seats forming an enclosure? same with the dash sub.Thanks, sounds a little confusing so just ask and ill clarify

I think you will have a problem getting the subs to match , for example some are bottoming out some are not thus giving you sound problems .
    What will help is if each had a seperate amp with that you can change the gain per driver .
    I heard one setup in a MBZ it had 2x yamaha 6x9" in the rear package tray using the trunk as a cabinet (sounded good) but not enoughbass .
    I had great luck with a alumipro bp-12 sub its a 2 cubic foot cabinet buts its very effeciant and puts out tons of bass .
  • cult4d5
    edited September 2011
    Not sure what I'm going to do with the 3rd sub yet as far as what range I want it to be hitting. I'm probably going to run the 3 subs at 4 ohms off the kenwood amp. See how I can get them to produce and go from there. Idk, possibly an 8 inch sub in the dash to save money and space.

I decided to go a different route as far as making sure they will kick being mounted in the seats. I'm going to get some cylindrical enclosures and have them going through to the trunk. But the way I'm going to have them in the seats will be such that you wouldn't know they were in a box.

Will post build thread when I finish
  • 20hz
    edited September 2011
    Not sure what I'm going to do with the 3rd sub yet as far as what range I want it to be hitting. I'm probably going to run the 3 subs at 4 ohms off the kenwood amp. See how I can get them to produce and go from there. Idk, possibly an 8 inch sub in the dash to save money and space.I decided to go a different route as far as making sure they will kick being mounted in the seats. I'm going to get some cylindrical enclosures and have them going through to the trunk. But the way I'm going to have them in the seats will be such that you wouldn't know they were in a box.[/QUOTE

How about aura kickers under the seats , I got some of those bose under seat subwoofers in cabinets they would go nice I would cut the deep lows out of them to make them last , but they sound good , they are .33 cubic each .
  • cult4d5
    edited September 2011
    20hz wrote: »
    Not sure what I'm going to do with the 3rd sub yet as far as what range I want it to be hitting. I'm probably going to run the 3 subs at 4 ohms off the kenwood amp. See how I can get them to produce and go from there. Idk, possibly an 8 inch sub in the dash to save money and space.I decided to go a different route as far as making sure they will kick being mounted in the seats. I'm going to get some cylindrical enclosures and have them going through to the trunk. But the way I'm going to have them in the seats will be such that you wouldn't know they were in a box.[/QUOTE

How about aura kickers under the seats , I got some of those bose under seat subwoofers in cabinets they would go nice I would cut the deep lows out of them to make them last , but they sound good , they are .33 cubic each .

Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Pair what your talking about? Funny you mention that, I planned on getting some piston memphis subs after I got some racing seats and was able to make room under the front seats. I may look into these

edit: btw does anyone know of some cylindrical enclosures that would fit a 10"? I could easily make some but just curious whats our there
  • 20hz
    edited September 2011

Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Pair what your talking about? Funny you mention that, I planned on getting some piston memphis subs after I got some racing seats and was able to make room under the front seats. I may look into these

edit: btw does anyone know of some cylindrical enclosures that would fit a 10"? I could easily make some but just curious whats our there

Check out those concrete "form tubes" at home depot , you could get a 10 inch make a mount ring since the cutout is about 9" , or get a 12" tube ..
    I meant shaker kicker was just stuck in my head , I have always wanted to try some shakers in my king cab pickup , but lately I am using a kicker L5 (the square cone ) its in a 2.25 cubic 12 inch tall box with a 30" long port , its a tight fit but its very stealth , only thing that sounded better was my alumipro BP12 but that thing was like a passanger (always startled me) .
  • cult4d5
    edited September 2011

Check out those concrete "form tubes" at home depot , you could get a 10 inch make a mount ring since the cutout is about 9" , or get a 12" tube ..
    I meant shaker kicker was just stuck in my head , I have always wanted to try some shakers in my king cab pickup , but lately I am using a kicker L5 (the square cone ) its in a 2.25 cubic 12 inch tall box with a 30" long port , its a tight fit but its very stealth , only thing that sounded better was my alumipro BP12 but that thing was like a passanger (always startled me) .

lol its funny you mention the sonotube because thats exactly what i ended up getting last night with some ply wood. almost done making the ends, just got some sanding to do
  • 20hz
    edited September 2011

lol its funny you mention the sonotube because thats exactly what i ended up getting last night with some ply wood. almost done making the ends, just got some sanding to do

I came close to building a pair for my subs and standing them up in the cornor but it still may take up more room than my triagular box .
    Homr depot may even sell plywood circles , they would be with the precut plywood pieces .