Supreme Court rules that video games are Constitutionally protected expression

13»

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited June 2011
    F1nut wrote: »
    All video games should be banned. Complete waste of time and money....there, I said it.

Yeah, you're right. Total waste of time and money. But let's not stop there, man... Let's ban movies while we're at it. After all, our kids see them, and they have the same type of violence in them. Oh, and while we're at it, television has violence and adult themes, so let's ban that just in case parents aren't monitoring their kids at home. Wait, remember that book Dante's Inferno? Full of gore! Let's gather 'em all up and start big ole bonfire! You know... LIKE HITLER.

I know I'm illustrating through exaggeration here, but this California law would have created an undefined censorship board that would have superseded the ESRB ratings system that's already in place... because the standards to define violent games would have been different for California. Then, when faced with the prospect of possible fines, retailers in California would stop carrying any mature games or worse, game companies would have to produce modified versions of games the way they often have to for Germany and Australia. And then if that law takes hold across other states, each with their own censorship board, it creates an environment where it's no longer profitable for game companies to produce mature-rated games. That's right... No more Call Of Duty... No more Bioshock... No more of any of the games that ADULTS love to play. And let's be clear here: The average gamer is in his 30s... not in their teens. This law would have had massive repercussions on the industry as a whole... much in the same way that similar laws against the movie industry in the past would have prevented movies like Saving Private Ryan from ever being made, not through legislation but through risk of prosecution. That is NOT freedom of speech and is unacceptable.

What BIZILL said shows the fundamental misunderstanding of what this law was. This doesn't give kids the freedom to buy mature-rated games. What it does is give the industry (and retailers) the ability to police itself without government intervention. And as the Federal Trade Commission (and this decision) noted, the ESRB's ratings system is the most successful at keeping mature content out of children's hands across all forms of media. Outside of the sensationalist outcry you have when parents foolishly try to vilify video games (Because we all know Columbine happened because of Doom, right? Or BICYCLES, which just as many kids played with. Or maybe those parents should have been involved enough with their kids to know they were building bombs in the garage. Just sayin'.), this was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Statistics show that violence has actually gone DOWN during this period where more violent games like the GTA or Call Of Duty series have been so popular.

So despite all of those facts pointing to there not being a problem, why did this legislation ever come to light in the first place? Because Leland Yee had an agenda. It was an agenda that he has had for years, and one that he used to further his career by pandering to scared parents who don't understand this new medium... any more than scared parents understood Elvis... or heavy metal... or comic books (which also faced similar legislation during their rise, FYI). And who did he get to back him? ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER... who in the medium of movies has created some of the most violent entertainment in history. Hypocrisy? I think so.

So what changes because of this decision? Here's the fact: NOTHING. The ESRB still has their ratings system in place. Gamestop employees can still be fired for selling a M-rated game to a kid, as a matter of company policy, not government policy. The industry will still continue to police itself and parents are still given more-than-adequate information to judge for themselves what their children can and can't play in their homes. The only thing that changes is that the government can't stick their nose in and create a bureaucratic board of censorship wherein THEY decide what should and shouldn't be acceptable for your kids.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2011
    The only thing that changes is that the government can't stick their nose in and create a bureaucratic board of censorship wherein THEY decide what should and shouldn't be acceptable for your kids.

You could have shorten that answer to just this. Your absolutely correct in your assesment.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2011
    post #57 Hanfada521 reported as spam for removal
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • kuntasensei
    edited June 2011
    tonyb wrote: »
    You could have shorten that answer to just this.

Well... what fun would that have been? :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2011
    F1nut wrote: »
    All video games should be banned. Complete waste of time and money....there, I said it.

. . . and all Internet forums too for the same reason! :wink:
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • tonyb
    edited June 2011
    Well... what fun would that have been? :biggrin:

Yeah, your right.:smile:

Been known to go off the deep end myself on certain subjects....the medicare thread more recently. Carry on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2011
    I know its offensive but I have a booger....can I pick it...or will I be on the next news flash
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kuntasensei
    edited June 2011
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I know its offensive but I have a booger....can I pick it...or will I be on the next news flash

You can pick it... but if you flick it at a child, it's a $1,000 fine.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • tonyb
    edited June 2011
    ...or out the car window, thats another fine for littering.

Best keep your boogers where they belong.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2011

What BIZILL said shows the fundamental misunderstanding of what this law was.

guilty as charged. i kept hearing about it on the radio news updates, but haven't paid too much attention to the arguement nor the outcome. regardless, stores will continue to sell to minors to make a buck, depending on the given store, that is. just like convenience stores will continue to sell smokes to minors.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2011
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Some poor want to make money by working for it, while quite a few others think they deserve to be given that money. If you're saying that that mentality doesn't exist, you're delusional.

The REALLy scary part is that even those who say they would never abuse the system, when given the opportunity, often do. I had two different friends get laid off in the past few years, both of whom were always outspoken proponents of welfare reform and making sure people don't abuse the system. They both eventually got jobs, but not before deciding to "take a little time off" because "they earned it," all while getting paid from the state. Joke.

Hate to break it to you, but quite a few people with money also have a strong sense of entitlement. It's not in any way limited to the poor.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • kuntasensei
    edited July 2011
    BIZILL wrote: »
    guilty as charged. i kept hearing about it on the radio news updates, but haven't paid too much attention to the arguement nor the outcome. regardless, stores will continue to sell to minors to make a buck, depending on the given store, that is. just like convenience stores will continue to sell smokes to minors.

Honestly, the major retailers are pretty good about not selling to kids for the most part. A friend is a manager of a GameStop, and they are very strict about not selling M-rated games to kids, to the point that they can be fired for it under their terms of employment. Like Wal-Mart, the computer reminds them to check ID when it's an M-rated game and the person looks underage. They also do secret shopper sweeps of their stores where the company gets kids to try to buy games. The Federal Trade Commission also does a yearly secret shopper study to determine if stores are compliant with the voluntary movie, music and game ratings. Naturally, you're always going to have smaller retailers who don't abide by these rules, but the major players have done a pretty good job on their own of voluntary enforcement.

Regardless, the bigger issue is that video games shouldn't be lumped into the same category as alcohol, tobacco or firearms, which is what this law essentially tried to do. And state-sponsored censorship of ANY form of art is a scary proposition.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2011

Regardless, the bigger issue is that video games shouldn't be lumped into the same category as alcohol, tobacco or firearms, which is what this law essentially tried to do. And state-sponsored censorship of ANY form of art is a scary proposition.

for sure.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.