Balancing Speakers

2»

Comments

• Almadacr
    Almadacr Posts: 185
    edited June 2011
    Jbooker is right and your measurements are also right when in small the xo will cut off the the 63hz .

I made several measurements in 3 different memory's and it got mixed up in my big mess :redface:
  • 27dnast
    27dnast Posts: 255
    edited June 2011
    I called customer service.

To say this bluntly... they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. They told me that they results of the calibration for two different set-ups would be different (duh!). I pressed them on the issue... the person I spoke with was so robotic, they were unable to process the fact that I was only talking about why a category (63Hz) is available for tweaking on one AVR but not another... regardless of MCACC results. I even tried leading them to water but discussing the 80HZ X-over... it just didn't click.

Really frustrating.

Anyone else want to give them a call to try and get an answer?

Here's the# 1-800-421-1404
  • jhumur
    jhumur Posts: 33
    edited June 2011
    Ya, jooker82 is right. This is confirmed by the Pioneer Customer Service, and some good folks at AVS Forum. Since the crossover is set to 80 Hz and the speakers set to SMALL, the receiver doesn't equalize anything below that. You can get the 63 Hz bar by setting the speakers to LARGE, and the SW to +, but then much of the low-frequency signal will go to the the fronts. Pioneer recommends trying it both ways and pick the one that sounds best. According to one AVS forum member, who sounds quite knowledgeable, setting the speakers to LARGE and SW to + is rarely, if ever, a better option. Here's a link to the discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1254047&page=152
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    27dnast wrote: »
    I called customer service.

To say this bluntly... they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. They told me that they results of the calibration for two different set-ups would be different (duh!). I pressed them on the issue... the person I spoke with was so robotic, they were unable to process the fact that I was only talking about why a category (63Hz) is available for tweaking on one AVR but not another... regardless of MCACC results. I even tried leading them to water but discussing the 80HZ X-over... it just didn't click.

Really frustrating.

Anyone else want to give them a call to try and get an answer?

Here's the# 1-800-421-1404

27dnast, see my post just above this one. also, check out the AVS Forum link I posted. hope that helps.
  • Almadacr
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the info 27dnast it looks like the Pioneer in the US are also lacking in CSR qualities :biggrin:

I did checked my settings last night till 2.30 AM and the speakers are set small on 80hz the xo , put Tron and everything is perfect and when the settings change from small to large the 63hz will be available but subs would sound to boomy if i can use this term , so letting the sub handling all the low frequencies with the speakers set to small everything works perfectly .
  • 27dnast
    edited June 2011
    Right. I get what you are saying. But I have the sub X-over set at 80hz and speakers set on small... And I still have the ability to manipulate the 63hz bar in the EQ.

This does not make any sense!
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    Right. I get what you are saying. But I have the sub X-over set at 80hz and speakers set on small... And I still have the ability to manipulate the 63hz bar in the EQ.

Right, man, doesn't make any sense! Please let me know what you find out about this.
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    BTW, I should say, for reference, that the Pioneer Customer Service people I have dealt with (two so far) are the least friendly (bordering on the rude) that I have had the displeasure of talking to. You get the distinct impression that they're annoyed at the prospect of answering "stupid" customer questions, and are just clamoring to get off the phone. In fact, the guy I got today didn't even introduce himself on the phone. exsqueeze me!?
  • 27dnast
    edited June 2011
    ^^^^ Well said, that pretty much summarizes my experience today, too. Absolutely no interest in "listening" to understand how to help.
  • 27dnast
    edited June 2011
    Almadacr

This is my conclusion: If you can manipulate the 63Hz bar in the EQ adjustment for your F/L and C channels, then that means your speakers are set to large. I've fooled around with the settings and the only way I can make that happen, is by having the speakers set to large.

The Auto MCACC defaults to setting your speakers to large - I believe - so after you run it, you need to go into the manual speaker adjustments and switch the speakers settings to small.

I could be wrong about that. But, this is the only explanation I can come up with.

• Almadacr
    edited June 2011
    Almadacr

This is my conclusion: If you can manipulate the 63Hz bar in the EQ adjustment for your F/L and C channels, then that means your speakers are set to large. I've fooled around with the settings and the only way I can make that happen, is by having the speakers set to large.

The Auto MCACC defaults to setting your speakers to large - I believe - so after you run it, you need to go into the manual speaker adjustments and switch the speakers settings to small.

I could be wrong about that. But, this is the only explanation I can come up with.

You are right i was going from memory to memory to look at the raw ones ( no alteration and the ones i altered since we have 6 memory's listed right , so your conclusions are right if you see post # 32 i said that and the mistake i did :biggrin:
  • 27dnast
    edited June 2011
    Ah... didn't catch that. But it makes sense now.

Well.. good to get that cleared up. Still SHOCKED that the folks at pioneer couldn't easily solve it.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2011

Not trying to Hi Jack the thread but your sub should be set to 120 HZ. The LFE track is for low frequencys up to 120 hz. That is how the sound tracks of movies is layed out. It is a low pass filter not a XO. The AVR will not send any sound from the LFE track from 80hz-120 hz to your other speakers. You simply wont hear it since it is a filter not a xo.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II