Polk Audio RTiA7 Mod Thread

Options

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Assuming all of the woofers are 8 ohms (I am using 8 ohm woofers for the load) - the crossover measures out at 5-6 ohms vs. 8 ohms -- very interesting
    The subs are 4 ohms in series netting 8 ohms.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Treys coffee table looks like a bad electronics experiment gone awry.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Just got done dynomatting the drivers.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So did your new woofer tester arrive and what did the final impedance end up being? Now that you have it, you should be able to do some before and afters on these mods and see if there is a measurable change, and more importantly whether it is enough to make any kind of difference to an amp or AVR. My suspicion is there is a change but it is not very large, probably less than 1.
  • gdehlers
    gdehlers Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am new so i don't have 10 post, but would love to have my A9's mod how can i contact you
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited April 2011
    Options
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They are all done!! woo hoo!!

I should get these out Tuesday!

I have cranked up each crossover for an hour with about 200 watts of POWA!

Everything is stable and solid and measures consistently
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbooker82
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sweet looks good the TV speakers have been killing me. The good news is my wife now apprecates the system after having to go back to the tv speakers.
  • jbooker82
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just to let you guys know. I had Trey (Vr3MxStyler2k3) modd my RTI A7's and CSI A4 cross overs. He did a good job, and they were a lot of work. They sound quite a bit better. It took the edeg off the tweeters. They don't seem so in your face and over powering. They are more full sounding. I liked the RTI A7's before the mod, but they are even more sweet now. I dont have an audiophile ear just enjoy great sound quality. I am currently powering them with my Onkyo TX-NR808 rated at 135wpc @ 2 channels driven.

The worst part of the deal was using TV speakers while my xo's were out being modded.

I would recomend doing it if you like the speakers you currently have, because you will love them after modding them.
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Between the mortite on the driver frames & the upgraded caps, after 50-100 hours of break-in your LCR should sound mighty sweet indeed!

I'd love to watch movies or listen to music @ your place then!

HAPPY listening! Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    upgraded the wire between the mid/tweet BPs & their filtering to AR 12ga OFC

upgraded the wire between the mid & its filter to 14 ga OFC

removed the sub LP filtering
    upgraded the sub wire to 8 ga, this channel' s subs connected to its own XL280 w/10 ga MC

Currently evaluating with music. Modded channel's bass noticebly more percussive

will use RTA this weekend for comparative readings & tune sub/mid balance
  • jbooker82
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    upgraded the wire between the mid/tweet BPs & their filtering to AR 12ga OFC

upgraded the wire between the mid & its filter to 14 ga OFC

removed the sub LP filtering
    upgraded the sub wire to 8 ga, this channel' s subs connected to its own XL280 w/10 ga MC

Currently evaluating with music. Modded channel's bass noticebly more percussive

will use RTA this weekend for comparative readings & tune sub/mid balance

Yea they sound a little less bright. I would really love to have a Sunfire Amp. That is probably going to be the next mod but it will be a long while down the road. It would be nice since you can use ethire source input or voltage input to alter the sound and give it a tube amp sound.
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    upgraded the [internal] sub wire to 8 ga, this channel' s subs connected to its own XL280 w/10 ga MC
    ...Modded channel's bass* noticebly more percussive*
    interesting side notes to this fact*:
    2 XL280s driving the A7s in 2ch mode
    Primary '280 driving both** channels**: 90+% rewired with heavier wire; heaviest grounding the driver boards & connecting the outputs to the BPs
    * driving the modded channel's M & T & unmodded channel full range

the other '280 (w/original wiring) driving the modded channel's subs.

an ommission from post #72: XO'd about 150hz
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nice work Vr3M.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    edited May 2011
    Options
    post 76 reported
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    latest configuraton:
    Adjustable Mid HP output & frequency on both channels. XO'd about 150hz

Adjustable sub output & frequency for the channel w/upgraded wire.

My ear tells me the range just above the mid HP needs a little help.

to jbooker82: I'm sure you enjoy better tonal balance w/upgraded XOs. Surely the "bass comes out to play" w/out the aid of bi-amping. did "V" upgrade your wire?

hope to get time to take RTA measurements later today.

cheers tony
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was waiting to see how this turned out - looks good VR3M! After getting my LSi9s modded by Ben, I'm about 99% convinced that I should do this too :) I take it my CSi A6 would need to be modded as well for consistency?

Any other thoughts on sonic improvements jbooker? Up until now, I've been upgrading the amps / wires to get an improvement on my A7s.

-Praz
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I replied to your thread.

I highly recommend modding your center too so it will be matched sonically.
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good deal, sounds logical to me :)

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My A7/A6 crossovers are on their way to Trey now, so I'm next up to try this out on the RTi A series!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • jbooker82
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Keep us up to date. What all are you having done? Clarity Caps and Mills resistors?.

Does your A6 center channel have 1 or 2 circuit boards for the xo. My a4 just had one but you cannot bi amp it like you can with the CSI A6 (or at least I though you could bi amp it).

I don't know if you have enough room for a tall xo in the center channel. I could only get one finger between the caps on the XO and driver on my csi a4.

Keep us up to date.
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd let Trey give the parts breakdown - I suspect it'd be similar to yours. Good question about the circuit boards on the A6 - I honestly wasn't thinking about it when I took it out, but the xo wasn't as long as the A7's. Plus the A6 is 6 inches deeper + 4 inches wider than the A4 so should be ok.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    My A7/A6 crossovers are on their way to Trey now, so I'm next up to try this out on the RTi A series!

So proud... :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think Jim brainwashed me :rolleyes:

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • JimAckley
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think Jim brainwashed me :rolleyes:

I'd like to think I enlightened you, but may be right haha.

The ClarityCaps will blow your mind. What resistors are you going to have installed?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd like to think I enlightened you, but may be right haha.

I kid - definitely more enlightened - thanks for the encouragement & insights.

It looks like Trey will be using Clarity Cap PX with ESA bypass caps and Mills resistors. He's also upgrading the binding posts.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • jbooker82
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd let Trey give the parts breakdown - I suspect it'd be similar to yours. Good question about the circuit boards on the A6 - I honestly wasn't thinking about it when I took it out, but the xo wasn't as long as the A7's. Plus the A6 is 6 inches deeper + 4 inches wider than the A4 so should be ok.

Yea I just thought I would say someting just incase. If it is 6 inches deeper then you shouldnt have a clearance problem. Is the binding post plate directly behind a driver or is it in the center of the back?

Might as well get some dynomat coming and cover the baskets and the metal magnet shields of the drivers. That is what I did to kill time while they were down. My wife though I was going crazzy being with out them.
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Actually the binding post is somewhat behind the driver. The kickstand is in the center. There's a lot polyfill in there too.

As for the dynamat - interesting idea. How will that affect/benefit speaker performance?

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • jbooker82
    edited June 2011
    Options
    If you take your driver and tap or knock on the side of the magnet shield it will ring. The dynomat just stops unwanted noise and vibration. How much it helps I can't tell you for sure because I done the xo's at the same time.

It helps lighter stamped steel baskets behave / sound like heavier cast baskets.

I just done it due to the fact that it couldn't hurt and the small role of dynomat was 30 bucks or less.

Just don't put any on the baskets where the driver makes contact with the wood cabnet. It won't seal and make it harder to take out.
  • gp4jesus
    edited June 2011
    Options