L.A. Noire

2»

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2011
    Is this worth buying? If so I'll end up ordering if the reviews are favorable. I'll order it along with MK, since it's sold out here as of the last 2 weeks.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2011
    Mine is still in the plastic.....
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited May 2011
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Is this worth buying? If so I'll end up ordering if the reviews are favorable. I'll order it along with MK, since it's sold out here as of the last 2 weeks.

It's rare that I ever finish a game that runs longer than 20 hours. I will DEFINITELY finish L. A. Noire, if that tells you how good I think it is. That said, I think it really depends on whether you like adventure games, because while this has some driving/shooting elements, it is primarily all about searching for clues and interrogating people. But those two elements are very well done, especially the MotionScan technology that lets you see every little facial tic and movement, because there are times when you have no evidence whatsoever but still know someone's lying just because of the way they answered your question. That's something that no game before this has pulled off successfully, and it's worth buying just to experience it, IMHO.

(And by the way, Mortal Kombat... totally worth owning if you play fighters. Surprisingly, I like it better than Street Fighter 4... but I'd put it right up there with Soul Calibur 4.)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited May 2011
    Anyone having random freezing problems w/ this game on 360? It's happened twice to me so far - seems like a decent # of people are experiencing this issue. Otherwise, I'm really digging this game - though I'm still trying to get a handle on the interrogation part.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited May 2011
    Seems the game is overheating both consoles. Article says they're working on a patch.

From gamespy:
    Rockstar Confirms L.A. Noire Freezing, Crashing, Offers Workarounds
    By Mike Sharkey | May 19, 2011
    Small percentage of older Xbox 360s and PS3s impacted by issues.

To be read in the voice of Will Ferrell's Mugatu character from Zoolander: L.A. Noire... so hot right now... L.A. Noire. End dated movie reference. How hot is Team Bondi and Rockstar's crime thriller? The game is reportedly overheating some older models of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles, causing them to freeze and crash.

After blaming the latest PlayStation 3 PSN-restoring firmware update for the issues (pig pile on Sony!), Rockstar has backtracked, admitting L.A. Noire itself is responsible for the problems a small percentage of gamers are experiencing on the PS3 -- a realization likely made when similar reports came in from Xbox 360 gamers.

A patch is in the works, Rockstar stated this afternoon, and until then, the publisher offered this apology and these workarounds:
    We are sorry to hear the game is freezing! We have received a few tickets about some isolated crashes / freezes and we are investigating them individually to find out the causes and the resolution.

Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in L.A. Noire:

1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.

2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.

3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.

4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.

5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.

6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.
    If these workarounds don't do the trick, Rockstar recommends contacting its Support service directly.
  • Sherardp
    edited May 2011
    It's rare that I ever finish a game that runs longer than 20 hours. I will DEFINITELY finish L. A. Noire, if that tells you how good I think it is. That said, I think it really depends on whether you like adventure games, because while this has some driving/shooting elements, it is primarily all about searching for clues and interrogating people. But those two elements are very well done, especially the MotionScan technology that lets you see every little facial tic and movement, because there are times when you have no evidence whatsoever but still know someone's lying just because of the way they answered your question. That's something that no game before this has pulled off successfully, and it's worth buying just to experience it, IMHO.

(And by the way, Mortal Kombat... totally worth owning if you play fighters. Surprisingly, I like it better than Street Fighter 4... but I'd put it right up there with Soul Calibur 4.)

Thanks bro, I definitely appreciate your feedback.

• grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited May 2011
    Best Buy is offering a 20 dollar gift card with the purchase of the game online. I did the store pickup and have 20 bucks heading my way in the next week. I will pop it in tomorrow morning and give an update later.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited May 2011
    Amazon has a gift card for online order as well. I received mine today and it sits 1 foot from me as I watch the baseball game. Planning on opening this game and a beer in that order a few strikes from now.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited May 2011
    I played it for a few hours and admire the affects. Overall pretty good gameplay but get's pretty repetitive and I'm finding it boring now. Not sure if I will finish it but we'll see.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • kuntasensei
    edited May 2011
    The side missions give you a nice break, 'cause they're usually shootouts or chases. I'm only about 30% through the game, but man, what a fun ride!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2011
    I have played it for about 1 hr total, I enjoy this game very much. I love the lip sync great job RockStar!
  • Sherardp
    edited May 2011
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    I played it for a few hours and admire the affects. Overall pretty good gameplay but get's pretty repetitive and I'm finding it boring now. Not sure if I will finish it but we'll see.

If you decide not to keep it, let me know. I'll either pay half to borrow it from you for the achievements or buy it if you decide to move on. Let me know.

• Zion21
    Zion21 Posts: 25
    edited May 2011
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Anyone having random freezing problems w/ this game on 360? It's happened twice to me so far - seems like a decent # of people are experiencing this issue. Otherwise, I'm really digging this game - though I'm still trying to get a handle on the interrogation part.<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0&quot; width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
    <param name=FlashVars value="cid=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf"&gt;
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
    <embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=3" src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf&quot; quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed&gt;
    </object>

Happens to me ALL the time. It is extremely frustrating. There should have been a patch released a few days ago that addresses this issue which helped a little bit but I still get freezes.
  • Slaine777
    Slaine777 Posts: 78
    edited June 2011
    I finally had time to play this. It's amazing.
  • kuntasensei
    edited June 2011
    I haven't had a single freeze yet. I'm about 70% of the way through the story... though I'm probably gonna take a break this week to play through Red Faction: Armageddon so I can trade it back in to get Duke Nukem Forever next Tuesday.

I've done fairly well on the cases... but haven't 5-starred one yet! And I screwed up and let a lady get killed on one case and 1-STARRED it. Definitely see myself going back to try to 5-star every case, if only to see each interrogation as it was SUPPOSED to happen.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2011
    No freezing issues on newer 360.

The game is wonderful. All games henceforth should be required to do the facial motion cap. Its amazing.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2011
    I have really been enjoying the game a lot. I have all three discs installed on both my 360s and haven't noticed any freezing either but they both are fairly new.

(Now that I think of it, I might as well uninstall the first two discs as I am now on the third.)
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • kuntasensei
    edited June 2011
    I'm leaving the first two discs installed for the DLC that is still being released.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2011
    Really enjoying the game. Rented it, will turn that into a purchase. Bought the Rockstar pass as well.
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited June 2011
    What a great game with a great aura. It just feels like you're in the era with the ambience and carefully selected score. Characters are believable and well placed into the scenery. You are literally never in the same place twice. The story is really what propels this game not the different gameplay. I really hope they release a follow up to this game, really one of a kind.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • cheddar
    edited June 2011
    Definitely see myself going back to try to 5-star every case, if only to see each interrogation as it was SUPPOSED to happen.

Although the facial capture is great, I think this gets more frustrating as the game goes on. You know you're stuck in yet another interrogation with a limited path through, and you know they're not telling the truth, but have to get in the mind of the "screenwriter" to figure out if you have enough evidence to accuse them of lying. IMO, they should have been more flexible with paths and evidence that would get you through the interrogation correctly or include a difficulty option so those that want to obsess over every stick of evidence can get an achievement, but those who just want to enjoy the story can get through the interrogations easier.

Otherwise, this is a great mix of Rockstar's open world, free roaming with a more cinematic feel.
  • cheddar
    edited June 2011
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    The story is really what propels this game not the different gameplay. I really hope they release a follow up to this game, really one of a kind.

For a similar game without the open world elements but with an even more cinematic flow, you might also like Heavy Rain. It starts off slow with a film noir type of feel in a contemporary setting. But when things get going, the content (violence, nudity, etc.) makes you feel like you're in the middle of an R rated thriller. Also uses controller or Move controls to act on your environment. Maybe not as advanced in the facial recognition, but has realistic body motion capture. As with LA Noire, it will appeal to those who enjoy the "adventure" types of games where personal decisions matter in a complex, unfolding story.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2011
    cheddar wrote: »
    For a similar game without the open world elements but with an even more cinematic flow, you might also like Heavy Rain. It starts off slow with a film noir type of feel in a contemporary setting. But when things get going, the content (violence, nudity, etc.) makes you feel like you're in the middle of an R rated thriller. Also uses controller or Move controls to act on your environment. Maybe not as advanced in the facial recognition, but has realistic body motion capture. As with LA Noire, it will appeal to those who enjoy the "adventure" types of games where personal decisions matter in a complex, unfolding story.

I own the game and got to the point where I found out who the killer was so I saved the game.

Came back a couple weeks later and my save was corrupted. I had to go back about 3 hours worth of gameplay for it to load a chapter. Haven't bothered to finish the game.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • cheddar
    edited June 2011
    mutelight wrote: »
    I had to go back about 3 hours worth of gameplay for it to load a chapter. Haven't bothered to finish the game.

Just try getting all the trophies...there's one where you have to go back and replay at various points to get all the alternate endings in the game...