The WDYDT Fitness, Exercise, Diet Thread

Comments

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2011
    lasareath wrote: »
    damn 37 miles?!!, you don't have a heart monitor/gps?, i'd like to know how many calories you're burning with a ride like that.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2011
    Old bones creaking in the weight-room on an extremely 'humid' rainy day.

1 3/4 hours of heaving and pulling. Squats, Dumbbells, crunches, pull ups, press and lat and shoulder machines, 5-6 sets of B-presses, incline and decline b-presses, dumbbell curls, tricep extensions. Hammer curls...did I forget something? And a few sets of push ups, etc.

I get tired listing the routine.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    30 min elliptical in am.
    1/2 P90x chest & back in pm.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    90min on bike trainer at a low intensity, steady state.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    Squats and lunges. Moved it from Fridays to Wednesdays because it was affecting my Saturday long rides/runs.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    30min elliptical in am.
    Out partying tonight.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    Today, I was told, "You're skin and bones."

I'm 5'5.5" and hover around 143-145 pounds and nearing 40 years old. I'm also slightly muscular but not buff. I'm also the fat one compared to my parents and brother, not that any of them have ever called me fat but they're super skinny. Extended family and in-laws would make remarks like, "you're not eating enough" and "is that all you're eating?" Keep in mind, I'm tracking my calories and on days that I'm not doing anything I'm eating over 1,700 calories (I'm slightly low because I still have that gut I'm working on). On days that I'm on my long cycling rides and runs I'm eating over 4,000. Wife thinks I look fine and that everybody else is nuts.

6 years ago I weighed almost 170. My back was killing me, I had digestive problems, I was lactose intolerant, I couldn't sleep through the night, and I woke up with numbness in various parts of my body (e.g. hand, arm, shoulder, etc). But, the same folks now calling me skinny would tell me I was filling out, husky, broad shoulder, strong.

Luckily, I'm hard headed and I don't listen when my mind is made up. I've chosen to be an endurance athlete and I'm rockin and rollin and carrying that extra fat up a hill sucks but I have no desire to be Lance Armstrong (not realistic). I'm a weekend warrior and avoiding injury is rule #1.

My point is if you're having weight challenges and you're getting snide or not so encouraging remarks from friends and/or family, you're not alone. Perservere. Be polite but stick to your goals. Soon, those voices will quiet down and those folks will stop doing crazy things like baking a pan full of cookies and blaming you for not eating it all. Remember, they're adjusting to the new you as you change your life and change is hard on folks.

Hope this helps.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    1/2 P90x shoulders & arms.
  • billyjeff2
    billyjeff2 Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    27 miles on the bike
    30 mins in the sauna
    nuff said
  • billyjeff2
    billyjeff2 Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    12 mile run on sat.
    weights on sun.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    2hrs on bike trainer.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    1/2 P90x chest & back yesterday.
    Today, ran 2 miles in am and 1hr on bike trainer in pm.
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited May 2011
    Insanity Max Interval Training
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • cnh
    edited May 2011
    Lawnmower Push-ups. And when your mower is over a decade old 99 dollar job from Walmart that's never been serviced (except for a change of oil), you're doing some heavy pushing! I'm surprised this thing even 'starts'?

cnh

• fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    Squats and lunges.
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2011
    Lifted shoulders and ran 3 miles
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2011
    1/2 P90x chest & back yesterday.
    Today, ran 2 miles in am and 1hr on bike trainer in pm.

Sounds like a great workout. Sorry if you posted this before, but what it your main goal right now, losing weight or gaining muscle?

Right now I'd say I'm getting to about the best shape I ever been. I'm lifting very well and running like a champ. However, you couldn't see that if I took my shirt off. I still have some excess body fat around my midsection, lovehandles, and man titties:eek:.( I weigh 170, 5-8 so I'm not over weight per se, I just want to lower my bf%, which is about 18%, while still maintaining muscle growth of course).

So my diet is the major issue. I've been good with getting protein in my diet, its just I eat too many calories... I did a quick calculation from this website

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm

says I eat almost 2500 calories to maintain my body weight. I'm just worried that cutting these calories will hinder my muscle gains, but I guess less calories, more protein. fatchoweim, does the p90x program have you count calories for you workout plan?
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Sounds like a great workout. Sorry if you posted this before, but what it your main goal right now, losing weight or gaining muscle?

Neither. All I want to do is cycle and run. I just turned 39 and have no desire to compete but I am signed up for a 67 mile bike ride in June and a 5K in July. Everything else I do is in support of cycling and running with a major emphasis on preventing injury. Honestly, I had to switch over to sports because if I thought of my fitness in terms of weight loss or bodybuilding, I'd probably go mad or lose interest.
    Right now I'd say I'm getting to about the best shape I ever been. I'm lifting very well and running like a champ. However, you couldn't see that if I took my shirt off. I still have some excess body fat around my midsection, lovehandles, and man titties:eek:.( I weigh 170, 5-8 so I'm not over weight per se, I just want to lower my bf%, which is about 18%, while still maintaining muscle growth of course).

I had the same problem only I was 155 at 5'6". I thought I was doing a good job of mentally keeping track of what I eat and eating more salads. However, my iPhone cured me of that illusion. I eat out a lot and most of the salads are worse than the main meals (iPhone lets me surf calorie count before I order).
    So my diet is the major issue. I've been good with getting protein in my diet, its just I eat too many calories... I did a quick calculation from this website

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm

says I eat almost 2500 calories to maintain my body weight. I'm just worried that cutting these calories will hinder my muscle gains, but I guess less calories, more protein. fatchoweim, does the p90x program have you count calories for you workout plan?

Counting calories at the beginning was a major pain in the arse but I have an app on my iPhone that I track my calories with. Turns out I typically eat the same things so once I enter what I ate it's very simple to later go back and pull the information up again.

Only reason why I count calories is because running or cycling up a hill with a muffin top sucks. That's my motivation and I'm hovering around 144, skinny all over except for an inverted T of fat (stomach area and love handles). I probably need to be at 140. The Tanita scale says I'm 17% fat, down from 25%. Not sure that I trust it but it gives me a general idea. Not worried about it.

Of course, you don't need a fancy smart phone. Just make sure you write it down. When I was doing it in my head, I was typically off by 500 calories on the gain side.

I did not follow the P90x diet plan which is the #2 reason the program fails for most people (quitting is #1). IIRC, the nutrition plan has more to do with portion control, complex carbs, and protein. I don't think there's any calorie counting. I'll look at it later this weekend and reply back.

At some point, you're going to need to go into a cutting phase and lose the fat. My recommendation would be to take your maintenance weight calories and subtract 20%. Keep lifting and cut back on cardio to twice a week for 20 min or so. The idea is to reduce calories but maintain muscle mass. If you cut too much calories, you'll stall out (happened to me) and lose muscle mass unless you're a genetic freak (there's always the oddball exception to the rule). If you do too much cardio, you'll stall out because there's no fuel (calories) for all that running and weight lifting. Or go get P90x and follow the exercise and diet program. Or go on bodybuilding.com and following the advices on the forum. Lotsa options.
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
    Ran 2 miles this morning at a blistering (to me, ha!) 9:13 minute mile. Fastest pace ever in my life beyond a 50 yard dash. Avg heart rate was 163! I'm usually jogging at a comfortable 12 minute mile with an avg heart rate around 141. Felt great. No pains nor aches.

Helped that it was 61 degrees this morning. Am not looking forward to the summer heat. Got company tonight so no cycling. :(
  • cnh
    edited May 2011
    More Lawnmower push ups today and probably some treadmill work later. As for dieting. I NEVER count calories anymore...let's face it, after several decades on the planet you pretty much 'know' when you're being 'bad'. Cut the sugar, cut the processed foods, cut the desserts, eat quality protein, fruits and vegetables and whole grains--but not to excess. Drink plenty of no-calorie liquids (preferably, water) and you're good!

I am actually dieting, currently, because I've been bad and gained a few pounds (5-6) so I've booted the old patterns back up. The other thing to worry about is once you get over 40, let alone over 50 (lol), you MUST ABSOLUTELY eat LESS regardless of who you are and what you do--unless you're one of those HYPER-metabolism guys who's been rail thin all his life.

That's the problem most of us face--we have to start eating like an 'old' dude even if we don't feel or look 'old'. Damn!

cnh

• tommyboy
    edited May 2011
    At some point, you're going to need to go into a cutting phase and lose the fat. My recommendation would be to take your maintenance weight calories and subtract 20%. Keep lifting and cut back on cardio to twice a week for 20 min or so. The idea is to reduce calories but maintain muscle mass. If you cut too much calories, you'll stall out (happened to me) and lose muscle mass unless you're a genetic freak (there's always the oddball exception to the rule). If you do too much cardio, you'll stall out because there's no fuel (calories) for all that running and weight lifting. Or go get P90x and follow the exercise and diet program. Or go on bodybuilding.com and following the advices on the forum. Lotsa options.

Thanks for the advice. I typically run twice a week (average between 4-5 miles) and go bike riding when the weather allows me. I really don't want to cut back that much on my cardio though, not because I believe it will lose me more weight. I just feel better overall when my cardiovascular system is in good shape. That could be a worry though as you said with burning myself out, so maybe adding a few hundred calories on days I do run and bike will do the trick?

Anyways, since I don't have the handy Iphone (sadly), I joined up onto this website, caloriecount.com. Pretty much has every food in the book, and if you can't find it, you can find something comparable or make a custom food. Hopefully this does me justice. Yesterday I finished with 1850 calories with a goal of 2200. My total calories burned according to this is 2600 so I had a deficit of around 800. This was my first day so it was kinda tough to do (I didn't want to overstuff myself late at night to meet my quota). So today I should be closer to a 500 calorie deficit.

Thanks again for the advise, and I'll try to keep you posted
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited May 2011
    I honestly think people obsess over calorie intake and calories burned too much. There's a lot more to being healthy and being in shape than calorie intake and calories burned. A LOT more.

It's far more important to focus on the quality of the food you're eating, and the quality and variety of your exercise program. There are a lot of crappy low calorie processed foods that are passed off as healthy these days (ie slimfast, anything with artificial sweeteners)..stuff that despite the calorie content, your body doesn't process well, doesn't utilize efficiently for energy, and can hinder the quality of your exercise.

Also, people get stuck in a trend of doing the same work-outs over and over, and become so fixated on how many calories a machine is telling them they burned off. A lot of runners are stuck in this mentality. The only way to perpetually evoke change in your body is to constantly challenge your body with different types of exercise and to strengthen different aspects and energy systems in your body.That's far more important than the number of calories a machine tells you you're burning while exercising. I challenge people who can run long distances to try interval training. I think most will be surprised at how much a couple 1 minute spurts at full sprint will kick your **** far more than a 1 hour jog. Anyone that wants to lose fat and retain muscle should do intervals. Long bouts of aerobic exercise burns muscle off. Short bouts of high intensity cardio (intervals) do not.

I also challenge a lot of heavy weight lifters to see how much a round of circuit training or ashtanga yoga kicks their asses too.

Stop obsessing over calories and the variations of your weight on a scale. Focus on your performance. Listen to your body, and eat foods that enhance your performance. If you exercise well, you will feel the effects of eating too much, too little, or if you ate poor quality food. If your performance starts to plateau, change up your exercise routine and/or diet appropriately. Improve your performance, improve your health.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • fatchowmein
    edited May 2011
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2011
    Chased after my dog that escaped from our apartments backyard.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2011
    mystik610 wrote: »
    I honestly think people obsess over calorie intake and calories burned too much. There's a lot more to being healthy and being in shape than calorie intake and calories burned. A LOT more.

It's far more important to focus on the quality of the food you're eating, and the quality and variety of your exercise program. There are a lot of crappy low calorie processed foods that are passed off as healthy these days (ie slimfast, anything with artificial sweeteners)..stuff that despite the calorie content, your body doesn't process well, doesn't utilize efficiently for energy, and can hinder the quality of your exercise.

Also, people get stuck in a trend of doing the same work-outs over and over, and become so fixated on how many calories a machine is telling them they burned off. A lot of runners are stuck in this mentality. The only way to perpetually evoke change in your body is to constantly challenge your body with different types of exercise and to strengthen different aspects and energy systems in your body.That's far more important than the number of calories a machine tells you you're burning while exercising. I challenge people who can run long distances to try interval training. I think most will be surprised at how much a couple 1 minute spurts at full sprint will kick your **** far more than a 1 hour jog. Anyone that wants to lose fat and retain muscle should do intervals. Long bouts of aerobic exercise burns muscle off. Short bouts of high intensity cardio (intervals) do not.

I also challenge a lot of heavy weight lifters to see how much a round of circuit training or ashtanga yoga kicks their asses too.

Stop obsessing over calories and the variations of your weight on a scale. Focus on your performance. Listen to your body, and eat foods that enhance your performance. If you exercise well, you will feel the effects of eating too much, too little, or if you ate poor quality food. If your performance starts to plateau, change up your exercise routine and/or diet appropriately. Improve your performance, improve your health.

You make some good points, but also miss some points. Some of us are, or at least I am, focused on sport-specific fitness. So varying my workouts away from building fitness in my chosen sport are of limited utility. That doesn't mean I only do workouts in my chosen sport, but all workouts I do are designed to enhance my sport-specific workouts. Working core muscules, for example, it important in every sport, but gets neglected a lot. And I have no problem constantly invoking change, assuming by that you mean building fitness, in my body. But a point to make here is that fitness cannot always increase. If you try it, you'll end up overtrained. You build fitness then let the body recover. Fitness will decrease slightly during this recovery phase, but you keep most of the gain, then you repeat the cycle.

But most importantly, if you're plateuing, it may also be due to lack of recovery. This is actually where most atheletes mess up. As far as tracking calories, it useful from the standpoint of helping to plan your recovery and knowing how hard you were working, but the statement that your body will tell you if you're eating too much or too little assumes that you're in tune with your body to that degree. Most people, even athletes, are not, in my experience. And that includes me. But I'm also not a calorie counter. I just keep a kind of general track and don't worry too much about it. But at the same time, if I burn 5-6000 calories in a workout, knowing that can be useful.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2011
    Hardest workout in a year and a half yesterday. 28.6 miles in a nasty wind, and burned 2222 calories. It was also my first group ride in that same time frame, and I managed to finish with the group. May have hurt myself doing it though, since my heart rate was significantly higher than it should have been (as in planned) for much of the work out. So easy day today, but doing about the same distance. Probably end up taking 3-4 hours today with the wind we've got around here. Heading out shortly, but wind is predicted to hit 20 mph by noon. Ick.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited May 2011
    just bought my first road bike...it's used but a well kept Trek SL1000. now if it would just stop raining...also started back to running and with any luck will be able to do a "starter" triathalon in August.
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2011
    quadzilla wrote: »

but the statement that your body will tell you if you're eating too much or too little assumes that you're in tune with your body to that degree. Most people, even athletes, are not, in my experience.

This is what I'm shooting for. I don't plan on counting calories this extensively for more than a few weeks. I'm just trying to see how much I'm really eating, and learn ways to cut back to an average calorie intake for my body type.

quadzilla wrote: »
    Hardest workout in a year and a half yesterday. 28.6 miles in a nasty wind, and burned 2222 calories. It was also my first group ride in that same time frame, and I managed to finish with the group. May have hurt myself doing it though, since my heart rate was significantly higher than it should have been (as in planned) for much of the work out. So easy day today, but doing about the same distance. Probably end up taking 3-4 hours today with the wind we've got around here. Heading out shortly, but wind is predicted to hit 20 mph by noon. Ick.

2222 calories? really? If you burnt that much,wouldn't you have to eat pretty much a whole days worth of food just keep your body running... I just went bike riding for 20 miles yesterday in the hilly area of pittsburgh (some are really rough), and I assumed I burnt around 600ish. Underassumption maybe?
  • byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited May 2011
    loving this thread...I have been a yoyo weight loss guy all of my life...now I find myself 59 years old and wanting to stop the pattern and just live a healthy lifestyle. I've started with running which I am loving and running a 5K next Saturday. As mentioned above I just purchased a good road bike and will be starting on it this week (if the rain stops or the ark has a track). At 245lbs and about 5'10" I am figuring I would love to get to and maintain 180lbs. any suggestions on training regimens? since I am new at biking...what is considered a good starting pattern of distance?
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited May 2011
    This is what I'm shooting for. I don't plan on counting calories this extensively for more than a few weeks. I'm just trying to see how much I'm really eating, and learn ways to cut back to an average calorie intake for my body type.

2222 calories? really? If you burnt that much,wouldn't you have to eat pretty much a whole days worth of food just keep your body running... I just went bike riding for 20 miles yesterday in the hilly area of pittsburgh (some are really rough), and I assumed I burnt around 600ish. Underassumption maybe?

Typical caloric intake for me is 2500-3000 calories (to maintain). If I were to bike or run and burn 2200 calories, I could either eat more that day (if I wanted to maintain my weight) or lose a little weight.

To lose (or gain) one pound of body weight requires a 3500 calorie deficit (or excess). That means to lose about 1-2 pounds per week (a healthy goal) would require about a 500 to 1,000 calorie deficit under what you need per day (need defined as you add what you burn to keep yourself alive and any extra calories you burn working out or just living in general).

Thats just how it works.

Exactly how many calories you burn when you work out depends on your starting body weight, sex, age, Heart Rate during excercise and starting body mass (fat to muscle ratio). 2,200 calories for a almost 30 mile ride is well within the realm of possibility though (would be for me anyway).

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)