L.A. Noire

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited June 2011 in Video Games
This game has been on my radar for a while. Pre-ordered it from Amazon back in December.

In this game you play as a detective moving up the ranks of the police force in L.A., solving crimes. The cool thing? Real facial expressions. The technology they've used is absolutely game changing (pun intended) in the industry.

Check this video out and tell me its not cool:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q2EG5J05048&quot; frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

First Trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5LfZq_OdU80&quot; frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Synopsis

A dark silhouette appears at the end of the alley, and slowly moves toward you as you wait in silent anticipation. The figure is framed by the thin light managing to filter through the dark fog. The streets of Los Angeles are not a welcoming sight at this hour. You pull your hat a little lower, obscuring your appearance from this anonymous informant. He may be on your side, but you aren't taking any chances with a murderer on the loose. You move your hand just the slightest bit and the glint off your revolver finally catches your visitor's eye. He stops dead and you smile. You've got him where you want him, but will he offer up the information you need to solve these heinous crimes? There's only one way to find out.

Experience the thrill of classic detective action with the chill of film noir graphics and themes in L.A. Noire. You'll walk the streets of a perfectly re-created post-war Los Angeles, experiencing the city without freeways, Starbucks or designer dogs. Enjoy this view of 1940's L.A. as you track a heinous murderer committing a series of gruesome brutalities. The drugs, corruption and jazz of this classic decade permeate the storyline and provide an immersive experience you aren't soon to forget. With the open-ended design, you are the only one in charge of your destiny. Will your actions result in a murderer behind bars or will you succumb to corruption and vice?

Key Features:

* Film noir theme offers a look back at this classic dark genre
* Open-ended challenge lets you control your own fate
* Solve multiple gruesome murders in this interactive detection game to make the streets safe again
* Realistic graphics re-create the Los Angeles of the 1940's
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2011
    I can't watch those at work, but what a great idea.

I did a quick bit of googling, but didn't see anything on multiplayer. Hah, imagine a combo where you could have a group playing gangsters (ala Grand Theft) and another group playing as detectives/cops in this game.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited January 2011
    Can't seem to find anything on gameplay. is this going to be like a typical GTA but with a purpose?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2011
    I've been waiting for anotehr film noir type of game ever since Max Payne several years back, looks awesome
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2011
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Can't seem to find anything on gameplay. is this going to be like a typical GTA but with a purpose?

Its open world, but I don't know that its going to be running around randomly killing people and blowing stuff up. I hope its a mostly interactive world like Red Dead Redemption and the GTA series, also by Rockstar.

The game will unfold based on choices you make, which is cool. It'll be somewhat linear, because it has to be in order to follow a story line. There will just be many paths.

This is a Team Bondi production and being published by Rockstar. I don't know how many GTA/Red Dead Redemption elements you're going to get in this one. I doubt Rockstar would put their stamp on it if they weren't confident it will be great.
    A trailer for L.A. Noire, called "Serial Killer", was leaked on 22 January 2011, two days before its planned official release. It showed 90 seconds of new gameplay footage as well as a release date. Take-Two later had the video removed from websites, citing copyright infringement.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2011
    Rockstar does seem to put out consistently good games don't they...

I don't really care for the GTA series, but it's hard to deny that they're good games. But Max Payne and Red Dead Redemption are both in my top 5 games of all time.
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2011
    Its open world, but I don't know that its going to be running around randomly killing people and blowing stuff up.
    You took my garble and cleared it up. That's what i was attempting to say but only game out as GTA with a purpose. :)
    I know they are putting a huge focus on this new facial feature but i hope the game isn't one great big cut scene just to show it off. It should be great game either way.
    I don't really care for the GTA series
    They have had their ups and downs since they started but you can't argue it not being fun to do whatever you want in an open world be it car jacking to wild gun fights with the law, to out of this world, death defying stunts!....love it.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2011
    They have had their ups and downs since they started but you can't argue it not being fun to do whatever you want in an open world be it car jacking to wild gun fights with the law, to out of this world, death defying stunts!....love it.
    Oh I can argue them being 'fun', what I can't argue is the fact that they're VERY GOOD games, especially GTA 4. The fact that I don't like them is irrelevant to the discussion of them being good, because they're very well put together.
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2011
    There a lot of neat stuff on the L.A. Noire website if you're at all interested.

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2011
    Well it is obvious they too a page from the movie LA Confidential, which is a very good thing. This game really looks good.

Kudos to rockstar again.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2011
    I am a huge fan of GTA series. Finished all of them (well, not to 100%...) starting from GTA III.

Check out this article. They used MotionScan technology on the real actors. 32 HIGH DEFINITION cameras recording every wink and every emotion for the gameplay!!!

http://www.fastcompany.com/1724050/la-noire-brendan-mcnamara-team-bondi-rockstar-games-motionscan

Can't wait for this game to come out. Bought COD world at war 2 last week, and it's too intense for me with so much fighting in the campaign, but it was bought mainly for multiplayer, oh well.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited March 2011
    Now this is what I'm talking about!
    <div style="width: 640px;"><embed width="640" height="391" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:710342&quot; quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowfullscreen="true"></embed><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 640px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com&quot; title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/game/l-a-noire/3244&quot; title="L.A. Noire">L.A. Noire</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-l-a-noire/710342&quot; title="Gameplay Series: Orientation">Gameplay Series: Orientation</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/&quot; title="Xbox 360">Xbox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/&quot; title="PS3">PlayStation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://wii.gametrailers.com/&quot; title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/&quot; title="PC Games">PC Games</a> </div></div></div>
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • slammin86
    slammin86 Posts: 238
    edited March 2011
    From what I have seen this looks like it will be a great game.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    Looks awesome - will definitely be getting this one.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited March 2011
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Looks awesome - will definitely be getting this one.

I agree 100%
  • ViperZ
    edited March 2011
    The latest trailer is out!! Very detailed!

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/videos/6731//
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2011
    This looks waaay to interesting not to pick up.
    It seems like you need to have at least some level of intelligence to play...
  • slammin86
    slammin86 Posts: 238
    edited March 2011
    This looks waaay to interesting not to pick up.
    It seems like you need to have at least some level of intelligence to play...

I agree. Grand theft auto was ok. Red dead was better. This looks to be the best yet.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3
  • ViperZ
    edited March 2011
    slammin86 wrote: »
    I agree. Grand theft auto was ok. Red dead was better. This looks to be the best yet.

GTA series was much more intelligent than many people think, especially later games. If you were to complete the linear game, you'd complete ~20% of the game. Hidden missions needed some thinking :). But I agree, this one definitely looks more intelligent. Rockstar rocks!
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited March 2011
    I've been out of the video game loop for a while and this is my first time hearing about this game. I got a little excited until I looked further into it and did not see any info on PC development. Maybe it will be released in the future.

The GTA series is fun, but I think Rockstar's best work was Max Payne 2.
  • Willow
    edited March 2011
    When is this game sete to be released? (I can't access gaming sites from work)
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
  • Willow
    edited April 2011
    Paid for, now just playing the waiting game
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, this game can't get released fast enough.
  • Slaine777
    Slaine777 Posts: 78
    edited May 2011
    GameStop is having a sweepstakes thing going on right now. You click on badges through different web sites. I believe that if you finish you get some things in game and entered into a drawing for $30,000.
    http://www.gamestop.com/mrkt/landing/la-noire/badge.aspx?cid=eml_10000176&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1b&utm_campaign=051011&affid=3002
    It would be really cool if a Polkie won.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited May 2011
    Getting great initial reviews. I'm pretty stoked for this. But I just started Alan Wake and will need to finish it first!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/lanoire/index.html
  • kuntasensei
    edited May 2011
    I'm still playing Alan Wake, but you can bet come midnight that I'm dropping that game like a hot rock for this. Reviews are all coming back solid. Hell, I may even watch L. A. Confidential on Blu-ray to prepare myself for it. Heh...
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Willow
    edited May 2011
    Just picked mine up won't be able to play till this weekend
  • kuntasensei
    edited May 2011
    I'm only about 3 hours into it, and so far, FANTASTIC. Love that it's more crime scene/interrogation than action. Feels like a throwback adventure game, and the facial animation is amazing. I normally don't finish games that are this long, but I totally see myself being addicted enough to finish this.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Willow
    edited May 2011
    Were there many long updates to do?
  • kuntasensei
    edited May 2011
    Not on 360. Just had to download the exclusive mission I got for pre-ordering from Gamestop, which was about 420mb.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp