Projector lamp suggestions?

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited May 2011 in Electronics
Hey everyone, a quick projector lamp question...

The lamp on my Panasonic PT-AE900U is starting to dim quite a bit at almost 1900 hours, so I'm thinking about buying a new one before it totally dies. The going rate for official Panasonic lamps is around $350-400 (ouch!), but from a couple web searches I found a "Pureglare" projector lamp company that makes a compatible replacement for $135. I'm tempted to try one, because I could buy 3 of them compared to one "official" lamp. Has anyone tried a lamp from that company?

Or I might just drop $2K and buy the PT-AE4000U (1080p), which should be a significant quality/brightness upgrade from the 720p AE900U. :cool: Either way, I think I'd still like to get another lamp for the 900U, just so I could use it as an outdoor projector or something...
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2011
    Do some searches on the web as well. I know that at one time people did have problems with bulbs from other people other than the authorized manf. The biggest issue was the bulbs not lasting as long and dying out early. Also sometimes they will sell just the bulb and not the housing so you would have to remove the old lamp and put a new one into the old housing. You have to be very careful doing this as any oil ect can get onto the bulb and shorten the life more.

I'm not fimilar with that unit or any feedback but check AVS and see if you can find the thread for this PJ and search to see if anyone has bought that bulb and if they had troubles.
  • audio_alan
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I did a few searches on the web. I found a few good reviews, and only one or two bad reviews. One guy said his lamp was DOA, but even panasonic lamps can fail early or you could receive a defective one that's DOA as well. I thought I'd see if anyone here had experience with them since I don't have much to go on. The sound of crickets answers that...

The lamp does include the housing, so that's a good thing. It might be worth the gamble. Even if it only lasted 50% as long as an official lamp, it would still probably be a good deal, dollar-wise, because it's so much cheaper (about 1/3 the cost). Decisions, decisions. :cool:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2011
    I would just buy the lamp from Panasonic and skip the cheaper route. You maybe able to find it on ebay, so check there also. I would just sell it as is and upgrade though. Not really worth the cost. Put the money towards an Epson 8100.

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8100-R
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • audio_alan
    edited May 2011
    Sherardp wrote: »
    I would just buy the lamp from Panasonic and skip the cheaper route. You maybe able to find it on ebay, so check there also. I would just sell it as is and upgrade though. Not really worth the cost. Put the money towards an Epson 8100.

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8100-R

I've thought about selling my current projector, but for the money that it would probably fetch, it hardly seems worth it. I'd probably be better off keeping it as a projector for outdoor parties, or maybe a bedroom setup or something...

Good price on that projector, but the word "Refurb" scares me away. That means it was probably broken once before, and might break again. To me, buying a refurbished projector seems to be just as much of a gamble as buying an off-brand lamp. Except the projector is a higher $$$ gamble.

I think I'm in the market for the PT-AE4000U anyway.
  • Sherardp
    edited May 2011
    Don't let the "term" refurb scare you off. Epson is a very stand up company to deal with when it comes to customer service. Heck we have proof here. If the price is right, go for it. Besides that, the original manufacturer warranty still applies with the refurbs.

• Sherardp
    edited May 2011

• audio_alan
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to decide if I want to hold out for another year or two as technology gets better, or jump in now with a new projector. I'm actually still really happy with my AE900U, even if it is just 720p. If the bulb wasn't dimming, I probably wouldn't even be considering a new projector right now...