conrad Johnson and Monitor 12 speakers ?

Options
Evrythngmatters
Evrythngmatters Posts: 187
edited May 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi all. First post here. I picked up some Polk monitor 12 in mint condition. I have a chance to pick up a pair of Conrad Johnson MV50 amps to power these with and was wondering what you all think of the pairing. The preamp would be a Pioneer C-90. Any input concerning this would be great.
Everything matters. That is all.
Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad **** boat to pull up along side it though.
Post edited by Evrythngmatters on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That could be almost, nearly, or rather simply amazing. Are you kidding me? That's a combo I'd like to hear.

I'm not familar with the preamp, but I'll go to sleep tonight thinking about those CJ tubes on the big 12's. Nice!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Conrad Johnson + Polk Monitor 12s' = Fabulous!

Not familiar with the Pioneer pre, but the other variables are great!
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I picked up the speakers from an estate sale. I also have the chance to pick up the CJ amps. Both amps look like new and the lady selling them wanted to listen to them one last time. I can pick them up tomorrow morning around 10 and was just curious how they would sound together in yalls opinion.

Well, sounds as if I should get them no matter what. For the price it's really a no brainer. I shall see tomorrow.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad **** boat to pull up along side it though.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Where are you located?

in my chair.

I did buy the 2 amps and they work great. An awesome pairing but think I will retire the speakers to the garage for sure. Good party speakers though. For less than a grand though I did get the speakers and 2 amps. A win win for me.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So what speakers are you going to use now?

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited May 2011
    Options
    some pics of the amps would make me just go crazy PICS PICS
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yes, if the monitor 12 did not do it for you, then what does?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Smells like fish.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited May 2011
    Options
    He didn't get soaked, but didn't exactly steal them either. We'll see, I've got on my thinking positive hat.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Smells like fish.

What do you mean?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What do you mean?

New poster fishing around to see if he can unload:eek:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    New poster fishing around to see if he can unload:eek:

Nah, I hold onto most of my audio buys. Not looking to unload anything. If I did it sure would not be the amps I just bought. The speakers I purchased just because I got them together with both amps for under a grand.
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    So what speakers are you going to use now?

Gordon

I have a few pairs. Focal Electra 926,older Maggies,Totem Arro, and a few other pairs. I seem to switch out every few months or so.
    audiobilly wrote: »
    Yes, if the monitor 12 did not do it for you, then what does?

Focal Electra 926,older Maggies,Totem Arro, and a few others are in rotation.
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Only owned a few pair of Polks through the years. Never the 12's. I had the M10b years ago and remember those as great party speakers as well as a great way to break into good sound on the cheap. To bad my house got flooded and everything I owned as far as audio goes had to be thrown out. Nothing like saying something sounded like "shi&", they actually did from all the little turds floating by.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sorry for the comment meant no insult...but you are at a Polk forum although extremely well rounded in tastes when you mentioned you were going to throw them in the garage some members probably shreeked...most would like a review on your finds, would want to know about upgrades or the synergy between the amp and speakers.

Welcome to club polk gives us an update
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So you think Monitor 10's/12's are party speakers??:rolleyes:

Question though....you list some really high end gear....Focal, Totem. And say you "switch out every few months". But yet you don't know about CJ amps? hmmmmm.......
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    So you think Monitor 10's/12's are party speakers??:rolleyes:

Question though....you list some really high end gear....Focal, Totem. And say you "switch out every few months". But yet you don't know about CJ amps? hmmmmm.......

I join to say I bought some Polks and this is the welcome I get? The monitor 10 speakers are not for accuracy nor critical listening. I am comparing them to great party speakers because you can play most any type of music and just sit back and listen. If I want critical listening M10 or M12 are not the speaker for it. Agree?

Of course I have heard Conrad Johnson a zillion times but not with Polks. Just wanted to know if anyone here has tried the combo. Every single piece of gear I own is under $3000.00 individually. FYI, that is cheap for really nice gear (I know, really nice gear is subjective). If you consider what I have as high end you may want consider another hobby as you seem to not be well versed in this area. What I have is entry level in the high end realm of audio. Just enough to get started with the big boys. You may want to lose the sarcastic tone there buddy and try to be more welcoming to newcomers. If you get your panties all in a bunch on an audio forum I feel for you in real life. If you have nothing else to add but sarcastic undertones to this thread then by all means see yourself to the exit.

And to the others, after a few in depth listening sessions I will report back on my findings.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2011
    Options
    in my chair.

I did buy the 2 amps and they work great. An awesome pairing but think I will retire the speakers to the garage for sure. Good party speakers though. For less than a grand though I did get the speakers and 2 amps. A win win for me.

I wish I was in your chair. I love CJ amps/preamps. Nice score!

Welcome aboard.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol...erm, I didn't get my undies in a bunch. I think you did. :tongue:

And FYI, I wasn't the first one in this thread to smell fish. :biggrin: Oh well life goes on right? Welcome to CP. And perhaps its not "really" high end gear. Does "somewhat higher end" set better with you?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Still smells like fish.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hi all. First post here. I picked up some Polk monitor 12 in mint condition. I have a chance to pick up a pair of Conrad Johnson MV50 amps to power these with and was wondering what you all think of the pairing. The preamp would be a Pioneer C-90. Any input concerning this would be great.

Why wouldn't a solid, very well known manufacturer work well with in all due respect, a vintage Polk loudspeaker? Polk Audio isn't a difficult loudspeaker to drive and never has been historically.

That combination sounds fine and there is no reason it wouldn't sound awesome. Good luck.

Why is this even a question if you have heard CJ a zillion times times? Polk is the messenger of good sound, don't shoot the messenger.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Why wouldn't a solid, very well known manufacturer work well with in all due respect, a vintage Polk loudspeaker?

Why is this even a question if you have heard CJ a zillion times times?

Short answer, synergy. Long answer,just because it's a well known and respected brand does not mean it would be a good fit. Would be like using a solid state amp that is on the bright side of neutral to drive some Klipsch speakers. Sure it would work but it would sound like ****.

On a side note I did notice that the mids on the 12's are 'smeared'. The bass is more boomy than punchy and accurate. May be due to the amps,pre, or speaker cables. I love trying to put together a system that gets it just right. A long and expensive journey sometimes but worth it. Overall though, pleasing results so far. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a great speaker for non critical listening. Not to hard,not to soft, just about right.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2011
    Options
    have you considered recapping them?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Short answer, synergy. Long answer,just because it's a well known and respected brand does not mean it would be a good fit. Would be like using a solid state amp that is on the bright side of neutral to drive some Klipsch speakers. Sure it would work but it would sound like ****.

On a side note I did notice that the mids on the 12's are 'smeared'. The bass is more boomy than punchy and accurate. May be due to the amps,pre, or speaker cables. I love trying to put together a system that gets it just right. A long and expensive journey sometimes but worth it. Overall though, pleasing results so far. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a great speaker for non critical listening. Not to hard,not to soft, just about right.

So you've answered all of your own questions/concerns from post #1 and your agenda is exposed.

You don't have the proper synergy you seek. The sound is smeared and boomy.

Go back to your other gear where "every piece you own is under $3000.00 individually" and hook it to your Focals/Maggies/Totems and move along.

Buh Bye
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Evrythngmatters
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So you've answered all of your own questions/concerns from post #1 and your agenda is exposed.

You don't have the proper synergy you seek. The sound is smeared and boomy.

Go back to your other gear where "every piece you own is under $3000.00 individually" and hook it to your Focals/Maggies/Totems and move along.

Buh Bye

Only agenda was to see if anyone else tried the combo. So far though it seems as if there is something in the water here. This is a place to ask about Polk speakers and the components that drive them, no? inspiredsports, you may want to see a doc man, you're gonna blow. Nothing was said to warrant your negative post so I must ask you stay out unless you actually have something intelligent to add. So, as the door swings both ways, Buh Bye.

Look people, I did not come here to start anything negative. Just curious about Polk speakers and how they play with certain equipment. Lets not take to a place there is no reason to go. This is a place with vast resources that I was excited about learning from concerning Polk products. If the forum is representative of Polk (posters that have been here years and years) I now know to stay away from Polk. If a general Polk question sparks this type of hostility I feel for the future of this place. Once again, if someone comes to visit, do you always treat newcomers this way? And if you think I came here to brand bash that was not the intention. After all some of the TOP posters have said that the vintage Polks like the Monitor 10's do have a smeared midrange and boomy bass. I found this through the SEARCH function on here. So I assume you all already know this so it's not that I suppose. Only thing I can think of is that you think I came here to sell speakers. NOT. Was only after a yah or nay on the combo. Anyone want to start from scratch and use the forum for what it was intended for, audio related topics and not to bash the hell out of the new guy.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2011
    Options
    How do you have the M12s sitting on the floor? I made a stand with a slight angle that made a nice difference using a template of the factory stand. Spiking them would help the bass. BTW you can put RDO-198 tweeters in them.

HAve you checked the drivers to ensure the right ones are in them ? Checked for air leaks?

Hopefully you have considered all these points being that your handle is everything matters.

I enjoyed the pair I had.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I join to say I bought some Polks and this is the welcome I get? The monitor 10 speakers are not for accuracy nor critical listening. I am comparing them to great party speakers because you can play most any type of music and just sit back and listen. If I want critical listening M10 or M12 are not the speaker for it. Agree?

Of course I have heard Conrad Johnson a zillion times but not with Polks. Just wanted to know if anyone here has tried the combo. Every single piece of gear I own is under $3000.00 individually. FYI, that is cheap for really nice gear (I know, really nice gear is subjective). If you consider what I have as high end you may want consider another hobby as you seem to not be well versed in this area. What I have is entry level in the high end realm of audio. Just enough to get started with the big boys. You may want to lose the sarcastic tone there buddy and try to be more welcoming to newcomers. If you get your panties all in a bunch on an audio forum I feel for you in real life. If you have nothing else to add but sarcastic undertones to this thread then by all means see yourself to the exit.

And to the others, after a few in depth listening sessions I will report back on my findings.

The only way this could have blown up bigger and sooner is if you told them you were female. I've seen it happen.

Welcome to CP, I guess:confused:
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Uh oh! It's Mr. Laughs!

No, that's just all the meds they have you on.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Get rid of Pioneer C-90 pre-amp. It's not doing the rig any justice. Mediocre for sure. I used to own one when Pioneer Elite actually meant something. Still the M90 amp and C90 pre I owned were decent but nothing too special.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sometimes I miss Lord Vader...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson