Air Conditioner Recommendations?

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
Hi,

I am looking into installing a thru-the-wall air conditioner such as the Friedrich SL36M30. I like Friedrich units because they are very reliable; the motors are serviceable (you can add oil to them - I've serviced one before), and they have excellent compressors. The unit I am considering can be found here:
http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?modelNo=SL36M30&CID=AFC_GoogleBase&gdftrk=gdfV2677_a_7c796_a_7c3452_a_7cSL36M30

After reading around online I realize there are some split-system A/C units that can do the same for around the same cost or even less money. Units from brands such as Haier, Mitsubishi Electric, etc. which are cheaper but offer the same cooling capacity. I want to know which is better from a long-term perspective (i.e. in 20 years from now, which will be a BETTER investment) and why. I understand other parts of the world such as China use the split system A/C units almost exclusively. But which will last longer, the Friedrich or a cheap split system?

Oh yeah and I will definitely be installing this myself - even though they are 200+ lbs.

Thanks!
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2011
    I have the split type AC. Have one installed in every room and can say they perform very well. I was going to mention it after reading half your post, but saw you mentioned it later on. They run whisper quiet, very easy to service on your own, and do pretty much everything. Mine has directional air control, does heat, auto shutoff if you set temp range etc, and dehumidifier built in. I have all Panasonic models and would definitely recommend it.

As you mentioned they are also used exclusively out here in Japan. It should last you years to come to.

Last but not least, I even have mine programmed with the Harmony One remote.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sherardp
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure you can find something. I just tried google and came up with a few places. Installation should be relatively simple from what I remember. ( I admit I didn't install mine). Guys came out and they did all 8 in one day. They are definitely worth the look though.

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited April 2011
    He may have hired someone to charge the lines. Doubt he had the equipment to do that himself.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2011
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    He may have hired someone to charge the lines. Doubt he had the equipment to do that himself.

Gotcha. I'd rather save the hassle and go with a thru-the-wall unit then. Unless there are other options?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited April 2011
    If you already have duct work in your house, central air isn't much more than that through the wall unit. That also keeps the noisy compressor outside. I was quoted an extra $2600 when I had my furnace installed.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2011
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    If you already have duct work in your house, central air isn't much more than that through the wall unit. That also keeps the noisy compressor outside. I was quoted an extra $2600 when I had my furnace installed.

No duct work, so central air is out of the option. $1800 isn't that bad for a single in-wall unit, I actually wanted to go the split system route but from what I read online, the following keeps me from doing so:
    You must be EPA certified to even touch the refrigerant side of the system.
    It is illegal - on a Federal level - to attempt to do this yourself unless you happen to be an EPA certified technician. Hire a professional. [From HVAC-Talk and Environmental Protection Agency]
    Since Nov. 14, 1994 the EPA has required technicians who work on any appliance that uses refrigerant to be certified under rule 608 and 609. In addition only certified technicians can purchase refrigerants. Retail and wholesale outlets that sell refrigerants to the general public can be fined and criminal charges can be filed against them. There are three levels of certification depending on the type of work the technician performs and there is a seperate certification for automotive repair. For those that want more information try www.epatest.com for free downloads and online certification.
    The process of adding or deleting refrigerants from a system are controlled by law and the procedures for which are specified by law. Even if these laws were not in place, the process can be dangerous. No two refrigerants are the same and no two refrigerants are designed to be mixed. Improperly mixed refrigerants can be explosive and can become poisonous gases. Since Nov. 15, 1995 it has been illegal to vent any refrigerant including sustitutes for CFC's, HCFC's and HFC's. All refrigerants must be recovered and either reclaimed or destroyed by a licensed reclamation center.
    In Ontario, you must have a valid ODP card to purchase refrigerant.

I guess I won't be able to charge the system myself and that defeats the whole purpose of DIY'ing the install.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Sherardp
    edited April 2011
    I guess I won't be able to charge the system myself and that defeats the whole purpose of DIY'ing the install.

The initial charge shouldn't be much at all. That should last quite some time as well. Give the split type a try bro.

• Serendipity
    edited May 2011
    Ok, looks like I'll try to install as much of it myself and then have an HVAC technician charge the lines. I'm thinking about a small split system unit for one of the bedrooms first, to see if it's reliable and energy efficient. Haier and Panasonic make smaller 8,000 - 12,000 BTU single-phase units that aren't too expensive.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited May 2011
    Try CL for a tech that does side jobs to charge your new system. BTW, you can get R22 (I think it's R22) all day long at walmart etc. for auto use, what's so special about home A/C refrigerant? I thought that everything nowadays is "ozone safe" except the remaining R12 freon?:confused:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2011
    It probably has to do with the volume of refridgerant needed...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited May 2011
    Get a COLD one!:biggrin:
  • Sherardp
    edited May 2011
    Ok, looks like I'll try to install as much of it myself and then have an HVAC technician charge the lines. I'm thinking about a small split system unit for one of the bedrooms first, to see if it's reliable and energy efficient. Haier and Panasonic make smaller 8,000 - 12,000 BTU single-phase units that aren't too expensive.

I have all Panasonic models, they work very well and get very cold. Of course that's what they are supposed to do, mine does heat also.

• kefranklin
    kefranklin Posts: 141
    edited May 2011
    The system will come already charged with the refrigerant stored inside the compressor in the outside unit. The HVAC tech will simply have to solder two copper lines that run in between the two units and then vacuum the system down for a short amount of time. Then they simply turn a valve and release the refrigerant into the system. Other than that, you should be able to do everything else yourself.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited October 2021
    Reported^^^^^ 10yo thread.. it was in the 30's last week here. Just what I need :smiley:
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The writing sounds like a foreign national... Maybe Chinese..
  • East Taiwan or West Taiwan ?
    Sal Palooza