Nintendo to unveil new console...

2»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2011
    Pretending all these games aren't just some form of child's toy is just being dishonest iwth yourself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2011
    My 7 year old niece isn't playing Grand Theft Auto. Yet, I personally enjoy those kinds of games, for example, and I can't play them on the Nintendo Wii. About as edgy as Nintendo gets is Resident Evil.

Gamers aren't just kids.
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    My 7 year old niece isn't playing Grand Theft Auto. Yet, I personally enjoy those kinds of games, for example, and I can't play them on the Nintendo Wii. About as edgy as Nintendo gets is Resident Evil.

Gamers aren't just kids.

I'm sure your 7-year old nephew would be playing GTA if he could, so what's your point? It's inherently a childish activity. I don't fault adults (myself included) who occasionally do fun childish things, but there are some "adults" who spend hours every single night playing games. I refuse to pretend that that's normal, healthy adult behavior.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2011
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Pretending all these games aren't just some form of child's toy is just being dishonest iwth yourself.

Considering the average age of a console gamer was 35 back in 2008 and 34 in 2009, not bloody likely.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure your 7-year old nephew would be playing GTA if he could, so what's your point? It's inherently a childish activity. I don't fault adults (myself included) who occasionally do fun childish things, but there are some "adults" who spend hours every single night playing games. I refuse to pretend that that's normal, healthy adult behavior.

My point is that responsible parents, usually those who possess a brain and know what their children can or can't handle, like to buy age appropriate content for their kids.

The Nintendo is basically a family friendly console. There's not much a parent needs to be concerned with as far as the content of games made for the Wii like they do with the XBox 360, PS3, or PC.

It's childish to play games? That's your opinion, but I'd love for you to justify it.

Why is playing games for "hours," every night any more childish than say, watching TV, working on a car, knitting, playing guitar, or any number of hobbies one can think of every night? I personally game in spurts. It's usually if I'm into a particular game. Other than that, like most people I do other things that interest me.

If your game playing is affecting you ability to hold a job, have a normal social life, or keep various commitments, that's certainly unhealthy. However, unhealthy behavior isn't childish behavior, and playing video games isn't childish.
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    I game online over Xbox Live partially to keep in touch with my friends. Party chat while we're playing the Gears of War 3 beta this week has been outstanding, and my college friends and I still get to have that experience of gaming together even though we all live in different states now.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2011
    I game online over Xbox Live partially to keep in touch with my friends. Party chat while we're playing the Gears of War 3 beta this week has been outstanding, and my college friends and I still get to have that experience of gaming together even though we all live in different states now.

I am with you on this one, even though friends are miles apart they are still in your living room hanging out and annoying the **** outa ya :biggrin:.

I bet gears is awesome with that beta .You should do a thread on it

I for one believe if nintendo comes out with this new console then its doesnt matter what sony and xbox do as the nintendo will win . Just look at the xbox vs the ps2 and the xbox360 vs the ps3 . Its all about who's first off the starting line wins the race
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    I am with you on this one, even though friends are miles apart they are still in your living room hanging out and annoying the **** outa ya :biggrin:.

I bet gears is awesome with that beta .You should do a thread on it

I for one believe if nintendo comes out with this new console then its doesnt matter what sony and xbox do as the nintendo will win . Just look at the xbox vs the ps2 and the xbox360 vs the ps3 . Its all about who's first off the starting line wins the race

Well... if Nintendo continues that friend code nonsense, they're pretty much hamstringing themselves with the hardcore audience. I hope that they've learned from the Wii that they need a better online infrastructure.

Also, I don't think it's quite as simple as who comes out first. Yeah, that matters... but if they come out and still have the same old tired Nintendo staples, it's not going to matter. Microsoft or Sony could still drop a new console with titles for the hardcore audience and end up with the crown, especially since Nintendo is coming out with this two years ahead of the game. It may be the same situation as the Wii... A system only slightly better than their competitors' previous systems, but with a gimmick to set it apart. You look at this generation and as far as raw hardware, Wii is the weakest, with PS3 and 360 being roughly equal due to the advantages of each (the Cell processor on PS3 and the 360's superior graphics engine and ability to address all 512mb of RAM make them pretty much a wash at this point). So it looks like next generation is going to be the same deal, with Nintendo putting out a system slightly better than the 360 and PS3, then Sony and Microsoft putting out consoles in 2 years that whip that silly.

Of course, if you pay attention, Nintendo totally won this generation... because the Wii was profitable from day one, whereas 360 and PS3 were both sold at a loss for the first two years of their run. Plus, Nintendo sold a ton of them to the casual market. If they manage to pull that off again, it won't matter if Microsoft or Sony have superior hardware... Nintendo will win, even if all the games are shovelware like they are on the Wii.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    I think a big variable that will come into play on these nextgen game systems is the integration/extension to handheld gaming.

Sony has the Xperia Play system, ready to be unleashed on the most popular smartphone platform (Android).

Microsoft on their WinPhone7, waiting to be cloned through Nokia's worldwide distribution network... (I personally wish them ill on this front, heh).

And Nintendo has no smartphone tie-ins, but they still pump out the most popular handhald gaming systems (3ds?)
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    It's childish to play games? That's your opinion, but I'd love for you to justify it.

Why is playing games for "hours," every night any more childish than say, watching TV, working on a car, knitting, playing guitar, or any number of hobbies one can think of every night?

If your game playing is affecting you ability to hold a job, have a normal social life, or keep various commitments, that's certainly unhealthy. However, unhealthy behavior isn't childish behavior, and playing video games isn't childish.

Of course it's just my opinion, I didn't mean to somehow insinuate that I had done some kind of scientific study on it. As for "why" I find it more childish, I have no idea. If you saw an adult sitting in his living room moving a Tonka truck around, even if it was a Tonka truck "geared towards adults," you'd probably find it childish, but can you explain why, outside of "that's a kids' toy?"

Or maybe it's more that the people I see playing games tend to be ... emotionally stunted. GTA is a perfect example for you to have used, as while it's ostensibly geared towards "adults," I can't imagine any normal adult finding the whole "bash a fake hooker's head into the pavement" thing amusing past the initial novelty of it.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2011
    Of course it's just my opinion, I didn't mean to somehow insinuate that I had done some kind of scientific study on it. As for "why" I find it more childish, I have no idea. If you saw an adult sitting in his living room moving a Tonka truck around, even if it was a Tonka truck "geared towards adults," you'd probably find it childish, but can you explain why, outside of "that's a kids' toy?"

What do you mean outside of it? That is the explanation. It's a kids toy. It's marketed to children, and children alone. Video games that feature adult content aren't marketed to 7 year olds.

Do you play Monopoly, Scrabble, or Jenga ever? Those games are marketed to kids and adults, are you childish for playing board games?
    Or maybe it's more that the people I see playing games tend to be ... emotionally stunted. GTA is a perfect example for you to have used, as while it's ostensibly geared towards "adults," I can't imagine any normal adult finding the whole "bash a fake hooker's head into the pavement" thing amusing past the initial novelty of it.

I don't know why others play certain games, but I enjoy a good story myself, and I also like a challenge. Most of the games I like to play are a combination of the two or both.

I'm not sure where your analogy is going, but who plays GTA solely to bash a fake hooker's head into the pavement over and over? I'd agree that's very odd behavior. There's a bit more to the story and the game play, though, yes?

Kind of like how Pulp Fiction wasn't just about a guy in leather getting **** raped, right?
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Demi, don't feel the need to defend yourself. My opinion is just that and has no bearing on you, and I'm a judgmental dick anyway so who cares what I think. I have tried many times to get "into" video games (and fantasy sports, and any number of other things that I find idiotic) so I can "fit in" with the majority that enjoy them, or so I can appreciate their appeal, but I just can't do it. I'm sure if I enjoyed them my opinion would be different.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2011
    All right. Addiction and social problems aside, I was just trying to convey why I don't agree that they're childish. I don't take it as some personal affront. :smile:
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2011
    I did! NERD RAGE! NERRRRRRRD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!! :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2011
    I don't know why, but my attention span for video games is around 15-30 minutes every few weeks. If I make it to the next save point I stop. I must have around 6 games I am currently "playing" but get bored with very quick. I remember when I first started 10-15 years ago with the Nitendo catrridge thing I would play for hours at a time, but now the novelty is gone.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.