Sr124 dvc?

baleger92
baleger92 Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey all, I am new to the forums and was wondering if I could get some insight as far as sub choice and enclosure size. I Have a 99 Mustang GT and plan on building a system soon. I am torn between the SR104 DVC and the SR124 DVC. I have a Boston Acoustics amp that puts out 800 watts RMS at 2 ohms, so power is not an issue. However, I hear that the only difference between the 10 and 12 is volume due to the increase in cone size. I listen to hard rock and metal, mainly Disturbed, Metallica, Pantera, etc. I need the sub to keep up with the fast kick drum lines. Will the 12 be able to do this? Or should I stick with the 10? If the 12 will work, I found a box on Crutchfield's site that is 1.27 cubes sealed. Will this suffice for the enclosure? I know this is a lot of info, but any help will be appreciated.
Post edited by baleger92 on

Comments

• baleger92
    edited April 2011
    I know you people have these subs and know what they need...lol
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2011
    Go with the 12" and the sealed 1.27cuft sealed box and 800 watts of power, would be perfect.
  • baleger92
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so do you or anybody else have any experience with this sub as far as playing hard rock or metal?
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    Nope. I'm just talking thru my hat.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited April 2011
    I have 12dvc in sealed and couldn't be happier. It's actually PERFECT for metal/rock as in sealed they are not rap-boomy but rather kick drum-bassy (i hope what i'm saying makes sense lol) 12 and 10 both keep up with fast punchy bass just fine.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • baleger92
    edited April 2011
    arun1963, I didn't expect you to just be jabbering from no experience. lol Both you and Vital have helped me to choose the 12 over the 10. I am just new to the larger sub field, as all I have had previously were two Polk MOMO 8 inch subs. I didn't know how the larger sub would keep up with the music that I like.
  • arun1963
    edited April 2011
    baleger92 wrote: »
    arun1963, I didn't expect you to just be jabbering from no experience. lol

Seems like the implied sarcasm just flew over your head. :rolleyes:
  • baleger92
    edited April 2011
    No, it didn't lol. Just making sure it didn't come across a way other than intended! :smile:
  • Vital
    edited April 2011
    Not sure which enclosure u're talking about but also add poly in it to trick the sub into thinking enclosure is larger then it really is. Or give it a try see how u like poly vs no poly.

And FYI with this "will 12'' keep up" topic - yes it will. In the matter of fact 15'' will keep up as well. It's not like they made 15'' sub and installed a motor out of 8''.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • baleger92
    edited April 2011
    It is an enclosure on Crutchfield's site. A 1.27 ft^3 sealed.
  • Vital
    edited April 2011
    Can u link it? I'm rather curious.

And what is needed for SR12 is 1.34 all-in btw so u're near perfection here. That .07 cu.ft. will not make any hearable differance.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • baleger92
    edited April 2011
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB1212S/Sound-Ordnance-Bass-Bunker.html

I think this should suffice with some polyester stuffing. I won't build a box unless needed if this one will work well.
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    edited May 2011
    +1 go with the 12

I've got the SR124 DVC in a custom box in my trunk. Listen to a bit of everything. the sub is incredible, you should hear the bass kick on Linkin Park "Numb".

I'm sure the 10 would sound awesome too, but I bet you would always wonder how much deeper and louder the 12 would be. get the 12 unless space is a serious issue. I had the box built in my spare tire well (I just carry a can of fix a flat and an inflation pump now - any serious blowouts and I'll call for a tow).

Sounds like you have the same amp I have, the Boston Acoustics GTA800m? LOVE IT. more than enough power to drive this sub, especially the DVC model. excellent choice!
  • baleger92
    edited May 2011
    docjl wrote: »
    +1 go with the 12

I've got the SR124 DVC in a custom box in my trunk. Listen to a bit of everything. the sub is incredible, you should hear the bass kick on Linkin Park "Numb".

I'm sure the 10 would sound awesome too, but I bet you would always wonder how much deeper and louder the 12 would be. get the 12 unless space is a serious issue. I had the box built in my spare tire well (I just carry a can of fix a flat and an inflation pump now - any serious blowouts and I'll call for a tow).

Sounds like you have the same amp I have, the Boston Acoustics GTA800m? LOVE IT. more than enough power to drive this sub, especially the DVC model. excellent choice!

Thanks for the input. I really want the 12 DVC but I cannot find it anywhere! Not even on eBay! So where do you think I should look?
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited May 2011
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?manufacturer_id=60&category_id=41&f_37=408

This should be fine, not polk certified but I have bought from them in the past with no problems
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited May 2011
    never mind, I just saw they are out of stock... I have the 12 SVC SR sub and will never buy another one, its amazing. But that might not work with the amp you are using.

I honestly wouldn't mind having a 10 inch SR, should sound just fine for normal listening.
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited May 2011
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23055_Polk_Audio_SR124_DVC.aspx

OnlineCarStereo has them. They are going to higher in price than sonic, but they authorized dealer so that means polk will honor their warrenty. You can also look at ebay, (polk has their own store there) and they should be there as well... Maybe.. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • baleger92
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll try and look around. Hopefully SonicElectronix can just order one for me on backorder because they don't keep stock in products they don't sell often. Ill let y'all know when I can get one!
  • Vital
    edited May 2011
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • baleger92
    edited May 2011
    I called sonicelectronix and they told me what I was hoping...they do not keep them in stock but can order one for me.
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited June 2011
    Hey, I have a JL 12w6v2 in a 60L closed box. But I can get a SR124DVC really cheap if I want. Would the SR play well in my enclosure? It get's 100wrms from a Mosconi 2.200! :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • arun1963
    edited July 2011
    About a month late......

60L would be about 2.11cuft that is a huge box!

Yes, I would get the SR124dvc and put it in a 1.2-1.5 cu ft box (34-45L). I would then wire the sub to a 2ohm load and bridge it on your Mosconi. 1000w with the gains set low would make the SR sing.
  • Crazy Dazy
    Crazy Dazy Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23055_Polk_Audio_SR124_DVC.aspx

OnlineCarStereo has them. They are going to higher in price than sonic, but they authorized dealer so that means polk will honor their warrenty. You can also look at ebay, (polk has their own store there) and they should be there as well... Maybe.. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hi:confused:
    You say that OnlineCarStereo has them. That's true, just make shure they send you THE RIGHT ONE! They sent me the 124SVC. altough I ordered the DVC model. I live in Norway, and Polk is just partly imported to my country, so I had to get it from the US. I decided to order it from OnlineCarStereo, beause of the warranty from Polk. OnlineCarStereo do not ship to Norway, so I had to order thru InternationalCheckout to get the "mother of all woofers" home to me. So when it was time connect it, I din't understand anything when the security circuit on the amp kept on disconnecting, due to my "paralell" wireing of what I thought was the "two" voicecoils. Strange teminals too... ++ and --.... Well I paid 550 USD to get a wrong woofer, and now, noone is answering.. I'm stuck with the SVC. So I guess I just have to order one more... to get it right.. lol

Golf III Cabriolet w/ 1x SR124 | 2x UM6501UM | 2x db501
    1x SR124 and 4x MM6501UM added soon
    10kW Boss | 7F Cap | Kenwood (Car PC is in the making)
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2011
    Crazy Dazy. So, sorry to hear that they dont ship to Norway, and that they sent you the wrong one too. I ordered a Battery from them, and got the one that was listed. That really sucks. At this point I would get another SVC, and wire it up. Since you can't return it. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Crazy Dazy
    edited July 2011
    Hi again :)
    Thanx for your sympathy KaosTsoc.. :) We have an expression in Norway saying... directly translated "If you talk about the sun, it is shining". That means if you, like I did, complaining about something, and have almost given up, something happens. (Specially if you talk crap about another person, he has a tendency to suddely appear from nowhere, right?.. lol) Well, I got good news! I mail dropped down in my inbox today from InernationalCheckout apologizing the delay, and confirmed that I, on my next order from OnlineCarStereo, would get a discount!! That is awesome! More speakers! More amps!
    By the way, does anybody know if the SR6500 is on its way out of the sortiment? Many stores advertice sale on the sr6500, and reports a few left in stock... I would love to get my hands on a couple of those....

• KaosTsoc
    edited August 2011
    I can understand the saying. That is usually how it happens. You start talking crap etc, and then that person/company comes through, and does what they are supposed to. Then you feel like a jerk for ever saying anything, I call that Karma. Good to know that the company did come through for you, and it is all working out. As for SR6500, if they are around, and you can pick them up do so. As for here in the states they are super hard to get, and to get a BNIB set is almost impossible. The las set that we sold went for $1,300 i think. Here is the thread that was on here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120809

So, as you can tell alot of people would love to get their hands on them if they could. I know if I could I would for sure.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Crazy Dazy
    edited August 2011
    WOW WOW WOW

There is a Norwegian shop having the SR6500 on SALE!!!!!!
    In USD it should be down from 1452 USD to 813 USD :D

http://www.tromsobilstereo.no/ds_product_info.php/cPath/41_46/products_id/170
    Too bad I just ordered two more sets of the MM6501UM and another SR124...

I'll see how many sets I can afford!! LOL