Opinions on Street Bikes?

Options
PerfectCreature
PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
edited April 2011 in The Clubhouse
So I was browsing around town today and I stopped in my local dealer. I was looking at all the bikes they had and it brought back an old ambition I had for a street bike. I have always liked the looks of them and functionality the posses, not to mention twice the gas mileage of my current car!..
I have never driven a bike nor do I have a bikers license, or a bike to practice on...with that said, I am hoping to work extra hours over the summer and will try to catch some of their before winter close out deals and have the bike by next summer.
I have run into some decent money and can afford a little toy.
I have been looking pretty heavily at the Ninja 250, but I was wondering, for a beginner that should be sufficient, not to much power and it appears very nimble.
My only worry is that naturally, once you get used to something you want more....
Would 249cc be enough to keep me satisfied for a few years?
Thanks for the input. Also, Which helmets/ riding gear would you recommend.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=505&scid=6
Receiver
Harman Kardon HK 3490
Speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 50s
Subwoofer
Klipsch KSW-100
Cables
AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
PS4
Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
Post edited by PerfectCreature on

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If you're concerned that a 250 is too small, why not get something bigger used? GSXR's have had solid performance for many years and can be had at that price if they're a few years old... you probably wouldn't be disappointed with a 750.

Is weight a big concern? What made you look at the 250?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Don't get a 250cc, it'll bore you to death in about 2 months time. Having said that, buying a used 250cc for learning on is fine---but not a new one. If you're 125lbs or more, you should look at a absolute minimum of 500cc's; be it a single, v-twin, or in-line 4 cylinder.

HJC makes good, fairly inexpensive DOT approved helmets---your dealer should throw one in on the purchase of your bike. Leather riding jackets provide good protection (well, as good as can be expected) but can be pretty darn expensive--your call. Gloves, heavy pants, etc are all a good idea; as well as hearing protection under your helmet. Helmets (full face) help to reduce wind blast nosie, but they are still quite loud.

I've owned bikes from the big 4 Japanese makers, I'd rate them like this:

1. Honda/Yamaha (tie)
    2. Kawasaki
    3. Suzuki (though suzuki's do offer great bang-for-the-buck, their fit 'n finish isn't nearly as nice as the other 3), however, you do get a lot of bike for the money.

You can't go wrong with any of the big 4, as they all build bullet proof bikes anymore. These are just my observations based on fit 'n finish, materials used, and general build quality. The differences between the 4 are minute.

I'd recommend learning on a cheap used bike---you ARE going to drop it; one way or another, and there is nothing more disheartening (and expensive) than watching your beautiful "new" bike hit the ground. I'd personally look for a used Yamaha Virago, they are simple, air-cooled twins that have bullet proof reliability, and a good general format to learn on.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So I was browsing around town today and I stopped in my local dealer. I was looking at all the bikes they had and it brought back an old ambition I had for a street bike. I have always liked the looks of them and functionality the posses, not to mention twice the gas mileage of my current car!..
    I have never driven a bike nor do I have a bikers license, or a bike to practice on...with that said, I am hoping to work extra hours over the summer and will try to catch some of their before winter close out deals and have the bike by next summer.
    I have run into some decent money and can afford a little toy.
    I have been looking pretty heavily at the Ninja 250, but I was wondering, for a beginner that should be sufficient, not to much power and it appears very nimble.
    My only worry is that naturally, once you get used to something you want more....
    Would 249cc be enough to keep me satisfied for a few years?
    Thanks for the input. Also, Which helmets/ riding gear would you recommend.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=505&scid=6

How big (weight/height) / old are you? That has a lot to do with what I would suggest.

The 250s are sweet bikes. I was at the track this weekend watching a 250R passing a R1 (1000cc bike) on the outside of a corner. Unless you're looking for straight line speed, a 250R is more than enough for a starter bike.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I see, well the reason I was asking about the 250r, is because that is what the dealer recommended since there really is not a lot of places to actually open up the bike and most of my commuting is done in-town and in about 15 minute intervals.
    Plus, he had one on the lot for like 3200, it was an 09 I think. He pretty much wanted me to walk away with it today, but I told him I was only looking.
    If it makes suggestions easier, I am 5'11" and weigh about 165.
    I don't really want to spend much right off until I really learn how to ride and am confidant, then I would upgrade to a much more powerful bike.
    So, we have suggestions for 500cc minimum.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Trust me on this, a 250cc will bore you to death in short order--especially men with their heavier weight and need for speed...LOL. But like I said, for a trainer/used bike, that would be fine to learn the basics on. A used 250 should run no more than about $2500 max--any make, in good condition.

I'm also 5'11" 170, so my comparisons will work perfectly for you. Maybe look for a used Suzi 650cc standard style bike?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So do you not even know how to ride?

Something like a GSXR is CRAZY powerful. Just... sayin'.

It's all about how confident you are in your own (potential) abilities and self-restraint. I'm not one of those crazy "ZOMG BE CAREFUL" people, but... my cousin worked at a moto shop for years. A shocking number of new riders would buy crazy sports bikes and wreck them wtihin a week. Some just pulling out of the driveway of the shop with their shiny new purchase. You're probably not one of those irresponsible jackasses... but you wouldn't give a kid learning to drive a Ferrari, the same should apply for a bike.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm your exact height/weight. A 250R is more than enough for you. It'll keep up with an older mustang GT up to highway speed...and it'll do 110. Not sure why people think thats not fast enough.

In all honesty, if I was in your position, I'd buy an 08+ 250. The 09, if it hasnt been laid over, is a good deal at $3200...especially from a dealer. It might even have the warranty left over if they bought the extended, and its fully transferable. I bought an 05 500R for $3500. Laid it over on both sides and scratched up the fairings/exhaust, put 7000 miles on it in 1.5 years, and sold it for $2800. Had I not laid it over, I could've got what I paid for on it. The difference between a 250 and 500 is ALMOST negligible. And the 250s look wayyy better.

You're going to save a lot of money on insurance, gas mileage is incredible, and you wont be as pissed when you lay over a 250 as you would be if you bought a newer 600. They're also cheaper, so it'll give you extra cash for gear...as you should be wearing gloves, helmet, jacket, riding shoes/boots, and overpants all the time, ideally. At minimum, gloves, helmet, jacket, and some sort of shoe that covers your ankle. Gear adds up quick and I wouldn't skimp out on it. Do a google image search for 'road rash queen'.

I also prefer winding through the gears on a 250. Seems a lot more fun to me. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a 250 or 650 for commuting, then making my 600 a track queen.

Either way, I wouldn't spend more than $3500 on a bike for your first bike no matter what you get. The 09+ 650R models look really good, but it might be hard finding one for $3500 right now. They're a v-twin, so they wont be as fast as a 600 super sport, but theyre more comfy and cheaper to insure...but thats still a lot of bike for a beginner.

Make sure to take the MSF course and act like every cager out there doesnt see you, half the time its true.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm one of those ZOMG be careful people that bobman speaks of...haha. I dont leave the house without a jacket, gloves, overpants, riding shoes/boots, and a helmet.

But I also track my bike and its seen 150+ a lot. I guess its just your risk tolerance. I feel much safer on the track at 150 than I do at 5 o'clock traffic doing 15.
    -Cody
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First things first... TAKE THE MSF COURSE!

They provide the bike, and it's usually free. At the end, you get your class m certification.

My starter bike was a '83 Yamaha XS400. It was just about the best learner bike I can think of. The 400cc was enough to get it up to a top speed of around 90mph, but not so brutal that you had to worry about WOT starts flipping you on your backside.

Plus, it was an '83, that I paid $500 for. I wrecked it twice, and both times was able to repair it to working order for very little money. I didn't care that it had scratches and dents on it, because it was a bike that I knew I would drop at some point. I rode it for 3 years, and just sold it for $400.

Now that I've been riding for 3 years, I feel I'm ready to step up to the 850cc bike I have in my carport... just have to get it running first.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    How big (weight/height) / old are you? That has a lot to do with what I would suggest.

The 250s are sweet bikes. a 250R is more than enough for a starter bike.-Cody

icon14.gif
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to suggest; take the course.

You'll learn the fundamentals of how to drive/steer around/avoid 'accidents' as well as the appropriate way to drive.

I'm a bit shorter than you (5'7") and my first bike was actually a 600. Even that thing bored me to death (CBR F4i) so I stepped up to a 900+. I'm not saying you should just go out and get a 600 or 900! Just go out, take the course and if you're confident with your abilities on one go ahead and start with a 600 otherwise grab the 250 (no one's judging you!).

If I got a bike now, I'd go with a cafe-racer. My back hurt way too much after those long 6-8hr drives (each way) from southern California going up north and back.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • shack
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This was my starter bike...a Honda CL360.

2696388801_ca96e2b182_z.jpg

I rode it for several years. At the time I weighed in around 200 lbs (6'4"). Anything more powerful would have probably been "TOO MUCH". Just my personal experience

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My wifes new Honda Rebel 250 as "buzzy" as hell at 60mph. Just sayin. Even she got bored with it (5'6" 140lbs)---as it would literally struggle going up Bisbee hill, and at max throttle could only hold about 50mph up that highway hill.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Buy a used smaller bike and spend some time learning. 250cc is perfect for that. Once you learn how to ride, sell it and go bigger.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • PerfectCreature
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, I don't per se think of myself as a ZOMG person, but I would like to live to ride another day as they say....
    So, in other words, from what I have gotten as feedback, the 250R keeps its value extremely well.
    If taken care of, in a year or so (maybe more?) I could probably trade it in for a newer bike and get a lot chopped off the newer one.
    I do not know when the courses are starting up...they are probably about $150 or so for the course?
    Someone compared the 250cc to a newer mustang GT? Would that be accurate?
    Thanks.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2011
    Options
    A Honda CBR250 gets to 60MPH in 8.5 seconds. It's not supercar speeds by any stretch (a CBR600, by comparison, gets up there in like 3.5 seconds, which is stupid fast), but it's fast enough to tool around on.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think the beginner safety course runs about $70---the advanced course I think is also abut the same price, but of course that might just be what Cochise county, Az charges...
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The CBR is a different beast from the rebel. Hell, there's 125cc dirt bikes that would smoke a rebel.
  • shack
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Someone compared the 250cc to a newer mustang GT? Would that be accurate?
    Thanks.

Not even close. Maybe more like a Mini Cooper S. Fun to drive, good on the twistys, great gas mileage...can't hang on the straights...but an all-around good drive.

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What no love for flat head 5 or 8 hp Cushmans?:wink:
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My Suzuki Forenza could outrun a 250cc street bike. Anybody want to bet pinks? The Suzi is paid off...1/4 mile, 0-60mph, or top speed, pick your poison--any takers?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I think the beginner safety course runs about $70---the advanced course I think is also abut the same price, but of course that might just be what Cochise county, Az charges...

I guess it depends... both are free in PA.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Do a 600 or 750. Def take the MSF course, it really helps. I took it further and went to some riding classes held by Keith Code. Get on a track if you plan to go ape **** with the speed. I totaled a r1 and did 4500 in damage to my second r1 due to negligence. Other than that they are insanely fun toys. If your at the 200 lb weight class I would even say go for the 1000.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,231
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My opinion would be if you are getting your very first bike and you don't know how to ride, then definitely don't by a new bike. Get a cheap used bike! Take the time to learn the mechanicals so you can identify a good used bike. Don't spend more than $1000 or so. That way, when you crash, dump, or otherwise damage the bike, you won't be out much money. You will slide, dump, or drop the bike. Guaranteed.

I'd also get a bike that is a 'standard' style bike because they tend to be much easier to learn on than sport bikes. 400-650cc would be a good size motor to start with.

Somebody recommended a Suzuki SV650, but I'd say those can be a handful to a new rider (I had two of them). The SV motors are very torquey, have a touchy throttle, and have very strong engine braking, all of which which make it a significantly harder to learn on.

Something like a Suzuki GS500 or Bandit 400 might be a good choice to learn on.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Don't spend more than $1000 or so. That way, when you crash, dump, or otherwise damage the bike, you won't be out much money. You will slide, dump, or drop the bike. Guaranteed.

Absolutely. There are 2 kinds of riders, those who admit to dropping their bike, and those who lie and say they haven't. Either way, it's going down. :biggrin:

I've been riding for 25 years, have never had an accident OR a ticket, but I dropped my bike----TWICE. First time was a car coming out of a parking spot right at me; second time I forgot (I know, laugh) to drop my kick stand when I hopped off to close the garage door---right in the damn drive way. $850 worth of fairing/mirror/clutch lever damage to my Yamaha YZF-600.
  • gelinas
    gelinas Posts: 226
    edited April 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Absolutely. There are 2 kinds of riders, those who admit to dropping their bike, and those who lie and say they haven't. Either way, it's going down. :biggrin:

I've been riding for 25 years, have never had an accident OR a ticket, but I dropped my bike----TWICE. First time was a car coming out of a parking spot right at me; second time I forgot (I know, laugh) to drop my kick stand when I hopped off to close the garage door---right in the damn drive way. $850 worth of fairing/mirror/clutch lever damage to my Yamaha YZF-600.

My first bike was a 2006 zx6r. I rode it about 15k miles in 2 1/2 years or so. Never dropped it once or let any damage happen to it. It was a great bike and I loved that 636cc engine. I miss it all the time, although I rarely have the time to ride...

I don't think a 600cc supersport is too much to start on if you are responsible. Don't rev to 10 grand and pop the clutch... Don't do top speed runs...too often.

A 250 would be cool and the newest version does look a lot better than the old one, but upgradeitus would hit way sooner than with a 600.

With that said, if I ever get another bike, it will be a sportbike and it will be a liter bike.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I would advise looking for a used SV 650. Its got enough balls to do just about anything there is to do, yet small enough that you can toss it around easily. Simple to maintain, they look good and wont be a hard hit on the wallet.

Ive been in situations where I needed to get out of the spot I was in, and to be honest Im not sure a 250 or there abouts would of been enough to get me out of those spots. Kind of a, better to have it and not need it type of scenario.

Whatever you choose to do, the MSF courses could one day save your life, period. Also ten dollar helmets are for ten dollar heads. Do not skimp when it comes to a helmet, as was said earlier HJC makes a decent lower cost shell, but I feel safer in my Arai and Shoei. The right helmet is more important than a particular bike.

One more thing, tires, tires, tires. Buy the best you can, you'll learn to trust your tires more than anything else. They're they only thing between you and the ground.

Good luck, riding is my favorite thing to do in this world. I could have the worst day of my life, get on a bike for a while and its like magic, everything is back into perspective and I can breathe a bit easier.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If you want a fun starter bike the 250 will do fine. If you want something that can stay for a few years I would suggest the Kawasaki Ninja 500r. It isn't a full on sport bike but it has decent power and will be more ride-able in the long run.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE3wtOPqYDnHTw3a_jvFNIUHrQpcAGNYvDv5dk-QgI8aJTU8_NiQ

I was a stupid kid when I got my first bike and went crazy with a Honda Hurricane 1000. That bike was not for the faint of heart. Trust me start off with something more sensible than a 750 or up bike. All the extra power can get you in real trouble real fast.