Opinions on Street Bikes?

Options

Comments

• THEJERMON
    THEJERMON Posts: 96
    edited April 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Absolutely. There are 2 kinds of riders, those who admit to dropping their bike, and those who lie and say they haven't. Either way, it's going down. :biggrin:

Kind of what I have heard. There are two kinds of people, those who have dropped their bike and those who are going to drop their bike. :)

My first bike was a 1981 Suzuki GN400cc (1 cylinder) Bought new in 1983 for $1,100. Actually did me just fine for 4 years and 24XXX miles. Never in the shop for anything. Oh, did I mention I dropped this bike? :) Driving drunk at the time. I also have had great success with two Kaw's. A 1986 Kaw Vulcan 750cc bought new in 1986 for $3,600. & a 2005 Kaw Vulcan 2000cc bought new in 2006 for $11,560.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The course provides everything, so if I trash a bike, the instructor just gets pissed, but I am safe. Anyway, I have been looking around, so far no used bikes yet, I wanted to get the pricing on the new one first so I knew what to expect when buying used.
    Anyway, for insurance, I was tipped off that full coverage can run up to $200 a month even for a 250cc bike, which is double what my grand am is with full everything. I could run down a store and my insurance has my car and the store covered....
    Anyway....I will ask around to get a more solid rate.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Two hundred dollars a MONTH? Are you insane? I don't think I pay that a YEAR for full coverage on my bike, which is brand new.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How old are you PC?

What happened to the used 250 for $3200?

Do NOT buy a new bike...don't do it. Get a used bike and liability insurance. And take the MSF course...think of the $350 as a down payment into the motorcycle world. It'll help keep you safe ($350 is less than my health insurance deductible...haha), plus it'll help keep your bike looking better from not laying it over. And you'll get an insurance discount.

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2321402034.html

When I had liability on my 500r, it was like $90/yr through progressive.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I have to go along with the folks on the MSF safety course. I learned tons of valuable skills and tips. It's $350 thats well worth it!

In my class, we had two guys take a spill. One guy during practice, but he got back up and wound up getting his license. The other guy unfortunately took a spill during the emergency stop part of the test, which of course is an automatic fail.

A friend of mine took the class about 4 months prior to me. A woman in his class wound up panicking during class, lost control and slammed the bike into the fence surrounding the course. They had to get an ambulance for her and the bike was destroyed.

Lesson learned...clutch control and don't panic!

Take the course, get a bike (whatever you may choose) and enjoy riding. I have fun razzing sport bike owners and non-Harley owners, but all in all, climbing aboard a motorcycle and heading out is a wonderful feeling of freedom. No cell phones, no radio, no nothing but you, the bike and the road.
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    In my class, we had two guys take a spill. One guy during practice, but he got back up and wound up getting his license. The other guy unfortunately took a spill during the emergency stop part of the test, which of course is an automatic fail.

At my state licensing test, a dude dropped his bike doing the emergency stop as well. He was riding a brand new Harley (who brings a brand new expensive bike to their test?), and went right down. Got all pissed at the guy administering the test for "making him do that."

And of course he was right before me.... didn't make me nervous at all (I think I was 19 at the time).
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol @ Harley riders:tongue:

At the track day I was at this weekend, there was a guy (on a sport bike) complaining about people passing him too fast in the straights...I dunno why what you said reminded me of this, so don't ask.
    -Cody
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    lol @ Harley riders:tongue:

At the track day I was at this weekend, there was a guy (on a sport bike) complaining about people passing him too fast in the straights...I dunno why what you said reminded me of this, so don't ask.
    -Cody

If you like Bike riders why do you bash Harley guys. I have had sportbikes before but now prefer a Harley. Doesn't mean I can't have a good time. I scrape the pegs on my Forward controls all the time.

Take it easy, nobody is picking on your style bike so why pick on ours.
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Harley isn't a style, it's a brand.
  • Joe08867
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Harley isn't a style, it's a brand.

OK, that was a mistake on my part. I prefer a Cruiser style Harley Branded bike.

Is that better?:biggrin:
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I ride a Honda cruiser, but I still think Harleys are a giant waste of money.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    If you like Bike riders why do you bash Harley guys. I have had sportbikes before but now prefer a Harley. Doesn't mean I can't have a good time. I scrape the pegs on my Forward controls all the time.

Take it easy, nobody is picking on your style bike so why pick on ours.

:rolleyes:
  • Joe08867
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I ride a Honda cruiser, but I still think Harleys are a giant waste of money.

I didn't take it that way, and your opinion is cool. I get it. Some people like them and some don't.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2011
    Options
    When I started riding bikes, Harleys burned oil like a furnace, leaked like a sieve, stopped like a freight train and were as reliable as an ex-girlfriend. Japanese bikes (or BMWs if you wanted a long haul cruiser) were the only way to go.

My bias (right or wrong) exists to this day and I have no desire to change. I don't like Harleys and will never own one.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If I don't get a 'return biker wave', 80% of the time its from a Harley rider.
    -Cody
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Okay, I kind of figured that was the case, I mean not like a car you can't really drop it...
    Anyway, how about the price of that course....would that be too much or? It is all done on Friday through Sunday.

The Ninja 250 platform hasn't changed for years, see if you can find a dealer who has a used one. Usually they will allow you to test ride a used bike--but rarley a new one.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not anti-Harley, they simply want too much money for the package; that, plus they don't build anything that really appeals to me. All the "get a real bike" dick measuring talk doesn't phase me a bit--it's my dime, I'll choose what I ride.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The Big Lebowski: What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?
    The Dude: Dude.
    The Big Lebowski: Huh?
    The Dude: Uhh... I don't know sir.
    The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
    The Dude: Hmmm... Sure, that and a pair of testicles.

• Joe08867
    edited April 2011
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    When I started riding bikes, Harleys burned oil like a furnace, leaked like a sieve, stopped like a freight train and were as reliable as an ex-girlfriend. Japanese bikes (or BMWs if you wanted a long haul cruiser) were the only way to go.

My bias (right or wrong) exists to this day and I have no desire to change. I don't like Harleys and will never own one.

Sounds like your talking about the AMF years, they are much better now. But whatever, you like your bike i like mine.

PS I always return the wave.... Not all Harley guys are ****.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2011
    Options
    True. I have far more confidence in Harley products in recent years.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The Ninja 250 platform hasn't changed for years, see if you can find a dealer who has a used one. Usually they will allow you to test ride a used bike--but rarley a new one.

The plastics changed in 08. They look a lot better now.

What's under the plastic is all the same though, for the most part.
    -Cody
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2011
    Options
    harley davidson has held more motorcycle patents than anyone. the reason they cost more has to do with build...take the tank...not stampedlike many but molded to reduce weld lines...the frame...no bent tubing...check out how the big twin is isolation mounted...its either a harley or its something else, who's bike went to war for us???... built right here in the USA, yes, there are parts made in China now...dont really like it...but Polk does the same. harley has great engineers and nothing on the road can top the present production models for me...you can have the original or an imitation copy...copies cost less.

harley did take a hit...started with the shovelheads which were designed to run on leaded fuel...too bad, because lead was soon on the way out...now E-85...I suppose if you put it in your harley and it craps out its the bike builders fault..fortunately high-test is still available. The AMF years were dark no doubt. Still though the greatest production motocylce in the USA and the world. although not the traditional HD bikes...look at the v-rod, engine came from the racing end and Porshe was instrumental in design...or the 1200X...air tuned suspension and take it on the road or the dirt. harley builds bikes for all riders sporty's through the tour bikes

if you just got to rot your crotch..I like Ducati. if your knees are up and the wind is whipping its all good, just respect the ride no matter what.

RT1
  • shack
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Glad you like your Hog Ted. I like that fact that Harleys are designed in the US and assembled in the US from mostly US made parts. I like the fact they are NOW engineered and built well. I'm glad we sell a bunch of them overseas. That is ALL I like about Harleys. I don't like the sound, I don't like the looks and I don't like the ride...other than than they are ok. And don't give me the "patriotic" guilt trip. I don't care...if I don't like a product...I won't buy it just because they are US made. I guess I am glad many folks do like them and buy them...it's good for the economy.

It's all good...it's called choices...

BTW...if I get another bike (and I'm thinking about it) there is a real good chance it will be dual sport...either a BMW G650GS, Kawasaki KLR 650 or a Suzuki V-Strom 650. Something that will cruise ok on most decent roads (not much interstate), good on the twistys and will get me down most backcountry roads/trails.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeahhhh, all those awesome "high-quality" parts that amount to a less reliable, worse performing bike, so what are you paying extra for? They can build the tank out of solid gold and charge you 200 grand for it, it's still supposed to be about the ride. The only thing Harley riders care about is the badge on the tank and the sound of the exhaust.

You're a sucker who bought into a REALLY good marketing scam. No different than Bose.
  • shack
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    You're a sucker who bought into a REALLY good marketing scam. No different than Bose.

This is going a bit overboard...IMO. While I don't like them...I don't bash the owners for their choice (except for the CPAs/lawyers/whatever that think and act like they are **** angels on the weekends).

• Strong Bad
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My take on this thread thats kind of going south is...

For years i've had thoughts and dreams about owning a motorcycle. The one that only ever entered into my mind was a Harley. I love the styling, the amount of aftermarket parts to modify it to my personality and taste, the history and comradery of the Harley brand and so on. I love how the Fat Bob rides and sounds. From my perspective, I'm living the dream now and thats what counts for me! I can afford to buy Harley after busting my **** for a long time trying to build my career. I owe it to myself!

Could I have gotten something cheaper from another manufacturer...absolutely 100% yes. Would I be happy and satisfied...No!

Why did I buy Polk instead of some other brand? I love Polk and thats all I think I'll ever own at this point in my life. Could I do better...maybe...probably...who knows. I have others tell me I shouldn't have bought Polk and could have done better. Sorry, I love my Polks like I love My Harley Fat Bob!

Go buy what you want, what you like and what you can afford! Thats why we have choices.

Oh, don't think this means I won't bust on non-Harley owners. It's all in good fun and I enjoy it! :wink:
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't bash the choice - Harleys look cool, generally sound cool, and the newer ones are supposedly more reliable. If that's all there was to it, it's not the decision I'd make but it's a reasonable decision (a little overpriced, but otherwise, whatever).

I only bash the owners when they start miming obvious marketing slogans like "there's Harley, and there's everything else." Pure brainwashing. If you think the Harley ad execs didn't come up with that idea, you're dreaming.
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I kind of enjoy this angle on the marketing thing....

Marisa Miller Burnout linky

Thats my kind of gal! :biggrin:
    No excuses!
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeahhhh, all those awesome "high-quality" parts that amount to a less reliable, worse performing bike, so what are you paying extra for? They can build the tank out of solid gold and charge you 200 grand for it, it's still supposed to be about the ride. The only thing Harley riders care about is the badge on the tank and the sound of the exhaust.

You have your head up your tailpipe, HD earned a bunch faithful owner/riders due to being issued by the US Govt. during several wars, badge be damned. Load up a **** crotcher with gear or better yet, a sidecar, and head off across some battlefield, get back to us on how that goes.:biggrin:
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I kind of enjoy this angle on the marketing thing....

Marisa Miller Burnout linky

Thats my kind of gal! :biggrin:

Sweeeeeet!:wink: