Dismantled Playstation 3

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
edited March 2011 in Video Games
Please help me if you can.
My teenage son whose intentions are bigger than his brain decided to dismantle our PS3 because it was having problems reading disks. Before I discovered the carnage it was too late. He took the thing apart and has no clue on how to re-assemble it. Can anyone direct me to a guide or an assembly drawing ? I know there are probably a lot of videos on You Tube but I find those things hard to follow and often not detailed enough. I'd like to put it back together because there is a game trapped in the DVD drive. Any help is appreciated before I get further disgusted and just trash the thing. Thanks. :cool:
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    Is he in trouble? :)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Is he in trouble? :)

I must have been in a good mood at the time of discovery. I was pretty steamed and he knew it. I don't think it will happen again. Enough time has passed to where I can attempt to fix it without being irate. :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011

Coke,
    Many, many, many thanks. this is exactly what I was looking for. Yet another reason that makes Club Polk a great place. Cheers. :cool:
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2011
    Well at least he'll learn to plan ahead (ie have the schematics before dismantling) :)

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    Good News.
    After sitting down yesterday with a plate full of electronics spaghetti, I was able to re-assemble the PS-3. First let me say the links were most helpful. We were able to power up with no smoke and extract the stranded game disk. As it turns out, the thing that was in the most dis-assembled state was the blu ray drive itself. My son had completely ripped open (and I mean ripped) the casing. I was afraid that any number of the ribbon cables were destroyed but they all seem fine. We were encountering disk read errors at the time of the unfortunate dis-assembly, so I went ahead and ordered a re-furb blu ray disk player off the web. Hopefully we can get the thing working 100% again. Cheers. :cool:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2011
    As any kid knows, Dads can fix anything.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2011
    Nice work! Yeah, my sis and I still go to my Dad when something needs to be fixed (and we're 31 / 32) lol.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    Good news. Received a re-furb Blu-Ray drive off of Ebay, got it intstalled yesterday. Didn't work at first, had to go in and re-set the drivers. After that PS-3 is back up and running 100 %. The Blu-ray drive comes with a full 180 day warranty. The best I could find on Ebay. Cheers. :cool:
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited March 2011
    You have a link for which BR drive worked for you Nap? I've got one of the original 60gb models that plays EVERYTHING, but the BR drive is busted, so I've pondered doing the replacement myself. I think Sony wants something like $200 for this fix, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to DIY.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2011
    As any kid knows, Dads can fix anything.
    :wink::biggrin::eek:

Nap, sorry can't add anything here... But worst case sent it to me and I figure it out putting it back together. :wink:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2011
    jflail2 wrote: »
    You have a link for which BR drive worked for you Nap? I've got one of the original 60gb models that plays EVERYTHING, but the BR drive is busted, so I've pondered doing the replacement myself. I think Sony wants something like $200 for this fix, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to DIY.

My ps3 went bad last night - it won't even turn on, but I think the BR drive is still good. PM me if you want to try the drive, I'm sure we could work something out.

DJ
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • jflail2
    edited March 2011
    My ps3 went bad last night - it won't even turn on, but I think the BR drive is still good. PM me if you want to try the drive, I'm sure we could work something out.

DJ

Which version do you have? The old, bulky model that sounds like an SR-71 is taking off in your living room?

I'm not sure if the newer slim versions have the same drive as the old guys. Maybe so, but I'd like to make sure.

Hah, and if that's your only PS3, maybe I should be sending you MY old PS3 for a pittance :)

Seriously, if that's your only one and you want to try dropping your drive into my PS3, let me know and we can work something out in regards to me sendng it your way. Anything's better than it sitting in my "electronics graveyard closet" wasting space...

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2011
    I've got the old, fat, noisy (well, not so noisy now) 80GB version and yes, that's my only one. I thought that you might as well try to swap the drives rather than me just tossing it. But...

I'll gladly take yours off your hands for you if you want to do that. I wasn't really looking to buy a new one right now as it is.

I'll shoot you a pm
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    jflail2 wrote: »

Happy to help. Go to Ebay and look up the Member ID: gamepartswarehouse. Or just search Blu Ray drive and check the seller's name. Anyway, mine was a 60 gB model - blu ray drive w/KES-400A laser lens. This seller offered the best warranty (180 days) I could find on Ebay. The price was $85.00 plus shipping $9.95, a buy it now price. The swap itself was not that difficult just take your time. You can look up which drive you need by your model number. I found a site that gives all this info plus the dates of production for the various models. All the drives are not interchangeable, the slim models use a different one for example. Also, the drive you get will not contain the control board. You will need to use this off of your old drive. This is standard practice for most all the sellers on Ebay. Definitely look up the blu ray drive you will need first. Hope this helps. Cheers. :cool:
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2011
    jflail, if you decide to sell the ps3, pm me.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2011
    BIZILL wrote: »
    jflail, if you decide to sell the ps3, pm me.

Bizill you already have PS3, hey Jflail hit me up if you need a buyer. HAHAHAHA Bizill won't mind.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • jflail2
    edited March 2011
    Hahah, look at the interest!

DJ is going to shoot for a local fix, so I might take the plunge in trying to fix mine like Nap is talking about. Nap, I appreciate your very clear instructions there. It sounds like a bit of googling would make this an incredibly easy process.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I feel like tinkering or not, so I'll keep Bizill and Sherard posted if I end up deciding it's going to be easier for me to just sell.

I'm seriously pondering getting a nice racing wheel and couchstand for GT5, so my money might go that direction instead of fixing this guy...

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2011
    Check your local craigslist, there are many local stores/companies that will replace your BR laser assembly for less than $200. When the laser died in my 80GB PS3, I saw the $85+shipping assembly on ebay and was ready to buy it. Then I saw a local store replacing the BR assemblies (same as the ones from ebay) for $120+tax. So I paid $30 more for someone to replace the laser for me...
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • jflail2
    edited March 2011
    Interesting feedback Viper. I doubt my little town has that available, but possibly there's someone around here that would do the legwork for me...

If I get this thing repaired, I'll have to break down and get some sort of LCD for the bedroom.....

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011
    The drive that I got off Ebay was a refurb. I believe the guy who sells them replaces the laser assembly. I looked at doing that but the assembly was about $60 bucks and my son had mangled the old blu ray drive pretty good. So I just didn't trust that it wouldn't have errors in the future. I believe if you have any mechanical aptitude and can follow simple instructions, you could probably swap out the drive in about an hour. Okay, maybe 90 minutes if you stop for coffee. It really wasn't that bad. Cheers. :cool: