Need DAC Recommendation

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I am in the process of setting up a dedicated two channel rig. So far I have a pair of LSi9s, a Music Hall MMF-7 running through a Parasound PPH-100 phono preamp, a basic single disc Sony CD player. All of this is currently running on my older Marantz SR5000 A/V reciever until my Parasound Halo system gets here. At which time I would like to add a DAC for cd listening.

This raises a couple questions. First of all what do you guys recommend for a good budget DAC?

And also is it ok to continue using the Sony CD player as a transport? I have heard a few people suggest that a standard cd player with optical out can make a rather decent transport. Do you all agree?

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Thanks
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2004
    Although digital "coax" out is preferred, your Sony will do fine thru fiber. Bel Canto makes a wonderful DAC (Digital design DAC2), but VERY pricey ($1,200, I think). Someone else may no good stuff at a lesser price, and used is always an option...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2004
    I use an MSB Link DAC III with the optional 24/132 upsampling installed. The basic MSB Link DAC III goes for $499 and the upsampling adds another $199. I use a Rotel RCD-951 as the transport with a Cardas coaxial cable. The MSB has both coax and optical inputs that automatically switches to the active signal.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2004
    Used ones are much cheaper. I just purchased one from Zane in the flea market. www.audiogon.com have some good ones cheap.

Maurice
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2004
    I've heard some good things about the Channel Islands Audio VDA•1 for $349.

Here is their web site: http://www.ciaudio.com/

vda_1.jpg

vda_1r.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by tonyv1
    I use an MSB Link DAC III with the optional 24/132 upsampling installed. The basic MSB Link DAC III goes for $499 and the upsampling adds another $199. I use a Rotel RCD-951 as the transport with a Cardas coaxial cable. The MSB has both coax and optical inputs that automatically switches to the active signal.

Tony how do you like your MSB? They make some really nice products and soon I'm gonna grab the mvc-1.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2004
    I like it so much that I don't miss the HDCD feature on the Rotel. The upsampler gave better top end extension without sounding edgy, grainy or harsh. Supposely using the aftermarket power supply (from MSB for $399) adds more authority to the bottom end. I rigged my DAC to be able to switch between 24/96 and 24/132 (it sucks to remove the cover just to swap jumpers) just incase the 24/132 was too shrill. It's switched to 24/132 full time.
  • cmy330go
    edited February 2004
    WOW!! Thanks for all the great info so far. This should give me plenty to research.

In regards to the upsampler on the MSB......How much of a difference do you here between the two settings, and in what ways is it most noticeable?

Oh and does anyone know anything about one called "DAC in a Box"???? I think that was the name I heard. I may just be crazy though.

Thanks again guys. Keep it comin':)
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    Yep. I've got a "DAC in the Box". To be honest with you I haven't used it too much. I just purchased a new transport and expect that to change in the near future.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2004
    Cmy,
    My DAC in the box is on the way. It should arrive proabably by next week. I'll let you know how it sounds when it's here. I also bought a "jitter buster" DTI unit by Audio Alchemy from audiogon for $95. Goes before the DAC to reduce jitter.

Maurice
  • cmy330go
    edited February 2004
    ok I just saw this on audiogon.com "Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC"

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this one? Seems new retail is $799 and there is one with 22 hrs left on the auction that is at around $200.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    HT

2 CH