Another Setup Question

jhumur
jhumur Posts: 33
Hi, after 2 months I'm still tweaking my AV setup. It's comprised of a Pioneer VSX-1120-k receiver, a pair of Monitor 60 Series 2 (bi-amped), and a PSW10 sub. The AVR manual said that if the speakers are THX certified then to set the speakers to "small" in the setup menu before running the auto-calibration (MCACC.) Otherwise to leave the speaker size to large. I set the speakers to small (i.e. THX certified) before running the calibration. Did I do the right thing? Are my speakers THX certified? I tried to find out from the Polk website, but didn't get anything.

P.S. You'll see the same question at the bottom of my previous post. That was totally unintentional. Sorry!
Post edited by jhumur on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2011
    Manually set the crossover points for all the speakers to 80hz. Get rid of the bi-amp crap and run it normally. Go to Radio Shack and get an SPL meter. I like the digital one. Set the levels manually. Set the distances manually with a tape measure. Don't use the auto setup.
    Enjoy
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited March 2011
    I agree with Ben on this one, I ran the auto setup on my Onkyo and it gave me a place to start, then I tweeked it from there to get it where I wanted it. +1 on losing the Bi-Amp, you aren't really gaining anything from it, since the AVR gets it's power from the same amp, and simply adding another set of speaker wire isn't going to increase any power going to them. Some people swear by it, but I tried it on my Monitor 70's and it actually sounded a bit worse to me, YMMV though. 80 Hz is the "THX" setting you are looking for, but I wouldn't put much stock in that, with speakers like the Monitor series, you probably wouldn't notice much difference between THX, and not anyway. The THX certification is more for your AVR than the speakers, and IMHO isn't really that big of a deal, if it sounds good, why worry if it is "THX certified" or not. Hope this helps.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • jhumur
    jhumur Posts: 33
    edited March 2011
    Thanks guys! I guess, I was just wondering if I should set the speaker size in the AVR setup to SMALL or LARGE. Or, doesn't it really matter?
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited March 2011
    Small, because you should be sending all bass under 80hz to the subwoofer.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD