Homefront (FPS)

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited March 2011 in Video Games
51nX6PoxgnL._AA300_.jpg

homefront.01.sm.jpg

This one is coming out tomorrow...I've been on the fence with placing an order it for 2 months, but decided to put in the pre-order on Saturday. The buzz on this game has been good, so I'm willing to take the gamble that even if the MP stinks, the story will be good. The concept is definitely cool and one that hasn't been undertaken much in video games -- the front of a war being in the United States.
Homefront is a first-person shooter that challenges players to survive and impact a fictional future scenario in which America has been economically devastated and occupied by a foreign power. In the face of overwhelming oppression, you must choose whether to submit to military forces, take the fight to the enemy or even throw your lot in with the invaders. Additional features include: a single player campaign written by Hollywood screenwriter John Milius, online multiplayer support for up to 32 players, ground and vehicular combat, and more.

Home is Where the Heart Is

The year is 2027, and the world as we know it is unraveling after fifteen years of economic meltdown and widespread global conflict over dwindling natural resources. A once proud America has fallen, her infrastructure shattered and military in disarray. To make matters worse, crippled by a devastating EMP strike, the USA is powerless to resist the ever expanding occupation of a savage, nuclear armed Greater Korean Republic. Abandoned by her former allies, the United States is a bleak landscape of walled towns and abandoned suburbs. This is a police state where high school stadiums have become detention centers, and shopping malls shelter armored attack vehicles. A once-free people are now prisoners... or collaborators... or revolutionaries.

Gripping Single Player Campaign

Join the Resistance, stand united and fight for freedom against an overwhelming military force in Homefront's gripping single player campaign penned by John Milius ("Apocalypse Now," "Red Dawn"). Stand alongside a cast of memorable characters as an emotional plot unfolds in this terrifyingly plausible near-future world. Experience visceral, cinematic first-person shooter action as you fight your way across occupied USA using guerrilla tactics, and commandeer military vehicles and advanced drone technology to defeat the enemy.

Epic Multiplayer

Multiplayer support brings epic warfare to the online arena as infantry, tanks, attack helicopters and combat drones battle across huge, open battlefields. Homefront's rich feature set offering layers of tactical depth combined with a game-changing innovation in the multiplayer space sets a new benchmark in online warfare.

Game Features

A Terrifyingly plausible near-future world ? The familiar has become alien in this nightmare vision of occupied USA

Fight for a Cause ? Join a cast of memorable characters as your resistance cell wages a guerrilla war against overwhelming military odds in the name of Freedom

Witness the Human Cost of War ? a gripping story from the pen of John Milius is told through immersive, interactive 1st person cut scenes

Experience Explosive FPS Gameplay ? Battle through a dynamic mix of infantry and vehicle combat in a gripping single player campaign boasting intense, memorable set pieces

Take the Battle Online ? Experience large scale multiplayer action like never before in epic infantry and vehicle warfare involving up to 32 players online

Amazon's Deal:

$57.99 -- Free Release Day Shipping + $10 credit for your next game
http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited March 2011
    I am also on the fence on this one. Though it does look interesting, i was going to give it a month or two after release to pick up. I'm a campaign player well before online so if the story and gameplay checks out, i'll most likely put it in the order bin.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    I saw a couple of 9/10 reviews, so that's what swayed me. I've done a pretty good job of avoiding clunkers over the years (for the most part :tongue: ).

I agree, though...I'm hoping for a good, long single player campaign.
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited March 2011
    I have it reserved...hopefully its a good one.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2011
    I have herd the campain is pretty short. Only 5 hrs.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Definitely a short game in the single player. I'm almost through 3 of the 6 campaign levels. There's stuff to go back for, but yeah....waaaay too short. The story is good, though a few things about it are irksome. The game suffers from a graphics issue that make it seem like a game that's actually 3-4 years old. Its got that 'clunky' Battlefield feel to it.

The multiplayer was strange at first after being so used to CoD, but it was definitely a lot of fun what I played of it. They're having server issues tonight so I didn't get much of a chance to unlock a lot of the better gear yet, including choppers.

I'd say most people could pass this game up and not feel like they missed anything. I don't see sticking with it past the single player campaign and maybe a bit of multiplayer. Speaking of which, there's a code that unlocks the multiplayer and its a one time use thing, so if you sell it to Game Stop it will be useless to anyone who buys it. They'll have to purchase a new code on XBox Live. Lame? You decide.

Here's to hoping the new Ghost Recon is good. It seems to be flying under the radar for some reason....and it comes out March 31st. Dying for a new, high quality FPS.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    +1 ... would be interested in a new Ghost Recon too. I loved the Rainbow Six series (single player) too.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited March 2011
    I agree with Demi....Im on the 3rd campaign as well, havent tried multiplayer yet though.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    I was wrong about two things, though. There are 7 levels. :eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

Also, even though Amazon still has the new Ghost Recon with a ship date of 3/31, Gamestop has it for a 10/1 release date. If true, that means this game has been pushed back a full year from its original release date last fall. :frown:
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Hah, Amazon is selling this for $41.96 new now. Its really not that bad, and I'd say its worth $40.

The good news? Amazon gave a $15.00 game credit instead of the $10 originally. I didn't pay anything for next day shipping either.
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited March 2011
    For Multiplayer, I like this game more than all of the COD's except COD 4.

This game is so balanced, it isn't even funny!
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited March 2011
    I own it and feel the same way. They just need to fix the servers and party issues and I'd be a happy camper.

Game is just flat out fun.