New to the 2ch world - Need some advice

Options
VE6OHV
VE6OHV Posts: 119
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Well after a few years of sitting on the fence I have decide to "take the plunge". Now is the fun part.

I found a local vinyl dealer, wow, vinyl heaven! Stacked to the roof for over 2000sq/ft. Business is slow for him - small city Alberta, not too many record sales - so he is blowing out his inventory. Here is the kicker, I don't own a turntable.

I am looking for suggestions and model #'s to watch for, my criteria are as follows:
not more than $150.00 CAD, Stylus must be easily replaced (not extinct), and of course best bang for the buck.

I plan on runing a totaly seperate 2ch system. I will be using my newly aquired NAD 2200 or possibly the SAE MKXXXIB (OTW From Russman) with a pair of Dahlquist QX6 bookshelf speakers (that continue to amaze me). We will see if I can pick up that set of SDA 2's .......

As you can see I will also be needing a Pre-amp.

Budget in mind - and the fact that I live in Canada ..... Let er' rip.

Thanks
Steve
Post edited by VE6OHV on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2004
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Look for Dual, Technics, Quadraflex, or a used Music Hall to name a *few*. Go belt drive, period - and full manual too.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2004
    Options
  • VE6OHV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Russ. Any model's of Dual to look for?

BTW - did you get the money order for the SAE yet?
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Good link, I'll save that one in case I ever pull the trigger on a turntable.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Not to stomp on anyones dreams here but VE6OHV, you should consider this a fairly high priced upgrade. I'm not against bargins or best buy for the buck or any such thing but I'll say this, be prepared to spend some cash if you wish to be happy with vinyl. Other opininions may vary so listen to them as well, I'm just telling you how it was for me. Good luck!!! I may have asked you this in the past but are you a ham? "VE6OHV"

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I paid about $300 for my Musichall MMF2.1. So far I've been very pleased, but I'm thinking about a cartridge upgrade....just cuz.:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • VE6OHV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Ham radio op. Yes - VE6 OHV is my call sign - I got tired of having to use names like steve975432 so I use the call sign - seems to work - it's unique.

As for an expensive upgrade - yep - I figgured - but I am a patient guy, the right deal will come along. I just missed an Oracle Delphi - went for $300.00CAD (needed a cartridge) but you can't win them all.

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to keep looking. BTW if anyone is looking for "off the wall" vinyl let me know - I'll check for you - the guy localy has loads.
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited February 2004
    Options
    He got any Tupac.:D
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Way back when, when vinyl was king the cheapest turntable you could buy that sounded as good as ones that cost $1,000s was the AR turntable. The arm was the weak part of the turntable but was still very good. The test was to put a 45 rpm record completely off center on the turntable, put the arm on the record and turn it on. The arm could track the record while completely offset on the turntable spindle. With the turntable off and the arm on a record, tapping the base produced no feedback. The best way to mount it was hang it to the wall with three wires attached to a screw into the wall stud. No feedback!!!

AR turntables on ebay are $100. Hard to get one with good dust cover however.
  • mikejz84
    mikejz84 Posts: 158
    edited February 2004
    Options
    If you are intrested I have a few Pioneer tables that I am plaining on selling soon. Including a PL-55 Direct Drive with a Shure V15 SuperTrak. The Other two (I forget model numbers, but one DD and one Belt Drive) have Stantons.
  • VE6OHV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I am always willing to work a deal - let me know ehen you are ready and what kind of $$ you need.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • madmax
    edited February 2004
    Options
    By the time you buy record cleaning brushes, cleaner, a set up record, lp sleeves, phono preamp, zerostat, stylus cleaner, pressure guage, some new lp's etc... you won't be so worried about the price of the player. :D:D:D

madmax

• VE6OHV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Picked one up an E-bay last night.

I'll let you all know what I think when I get it home.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by VE6OHV
    Ham radio op. Yes - VE6 OHV is my call sign - I got tired of having to use names like steve975432 so I use the call sign - seems to work - it's unique.

Not to hi-jack, but I also thought you might have a like for OverHeadValve V6 engines.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • madmax
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by VE6OHV
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Picked one up an E-bay last night.

I'll let you all know what I think when I get it home.

I always stress that it will end up costing you more than you think to get the results you are looking for, BUT, whether you go top line or budget I'm still willing to share anything I know. I am a phono snob when it comes to my own spending but I understand the need (and fun) of best buy for the buck. Well, maybe not a snob (a lot of people put a LOT more cash in phono stuff than I do), maybe just a loose trigger when it comes to spending. In any case I support phono aquisitions no matter what the cost. The fun part is getting all you can off of the black circle no matter whether you spend a lot or a little.

madmax

• VE6OHV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    For the ammount of time that I will be listening (really listening) to my 2ch rig - I just can't justify the cost of some of the "higher" end turn tables. I don't know much about TT's but this one received good reviews back in the mid 80's and looked like it was in pretty good shape. It is the same reasoning that I employed with my HT set-up. How much time will I be spending watching Movies? Cable? Satelite? Music? - Between the Wife, Baby, Dog, Cat, Job, and JEEP - there really isn't enough time left to justify the additional expense.

If anyone has an owners manual for a Dual CS 514 I would be interested in a copy.

Thanks
    Steve