Tweeter dust caps on CS400 Question

Options
tigerfever1
tigerfever1 Posts: 33
edited February 2004 in Troubleshooting
I purchased some Polk speakers recently and some of the dome tweeter dust caps had been dimpled in from the popcorn packing pushing into the grills on a CS400 and a Fx500 I pulled them out with a piece of masking tape and they look fine, my question is this though, while touching the tape onto the rubber type cap It felt like there was a secondary cap underneath it. I emailed polk asking if they could provide an answer last week but never had a reply. Have any of you ever had tweeter fry out from a cs400,cs400i,fx500,fx500i,rt2000p? If so I am interested in knowing more about how these are made. If I have to I will buy a bad one just to disect it. Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by tigerfever1 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    edited February 2004
    Options
    There is like a foam *cushion* inside the tweeter, you will not hurt the tweeter it self with the tape or pressing down. Trust me, I know. I thought my tweeter was blown and carried it around school, survived my friends. Later found out it was NOT blown. Sheat what a mistake I made. Anyways, it still works. Sounds the same. Dont sweat it.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tigerfever1
    tigerfever1 Posts: 33
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the information on the caps, I had no idea thats what is in there! Now I can quit worrying about it and think about my pair of RT2000i's arriving this week. Thanks for the quick reply too!
    Paul
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited February 2004
    Options
    That's not a dust cap...geez! That dome and the attached voice coil IS your tweeter. I highly recommend not pressing down on it.

Sid, remind me not to buy any speakers from you....lol.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk