Red Dead Redemption

2»

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2011
    Bumping a game from yesteryear apparently. I picked this up over the weekend and it just blew me away. Not sure how I slept on this title for this long, but wow was it ever worth the wait.

Anyone still playing this?
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2011
    It is a sweet game. Now they just need sequal.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2011
    I actually just bought this two weeks ago and it's one of my favorites of all time now. I sorta sped through the main story line and am now going back to replay doing all the side missions and such.

I wasn't initially a big fan of the ending but it's grown on me and I understand why they did it the way they did, makes having the ability to go back and do all the side stuff after the fact more believable in the context of the story.

There are very few games over the years that I've played that actually have a real 'feeling' to them, Max Payne, Fallout 3, maybe one or two more that I'm not thinking of, and now RDR.

Awesome Game!
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited January 2011
    I had this game for so long and it was kept wrapped until I played it a couple of months ago. I got immediately hooked too! Beautiful vistas and great horseriding mechanics!

I think the main story arc is good and I do like the ending (as heartwrenching as it was); but throughout the storyline I can't help but think how much of a WUSS he is! He's been duped for so many times again and again and again!

Overall a very enjoyable game with great characters...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2011
    I still play it (last night, actually). Its a great game and I want them to keep making more with different themes. Taking GTA and putting it in the Wild West was genius. I'd play it more, but I'm so over saturated with good games to play right now.

I like that we have so much stuff to choose from now, but I do kind of miss the days where I'd spend practically forever on a game because it would be a long time before I was ever going to get another one.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2011
    I still do that actually, play one game forever, but it's now a conscious decision that I have to make vs having that decision being made for me by lack of good games. We seem to go through periods where we have a bunch of good games released and then some where everything is crap. I'm not worried about playing anything in a hurry, so I just play everything at my own pace and get to everything when I get to it, that's why i just picked up RDR a couple weeks ago.

I know that ultimately there is going to be enough downtime between good games that I'll get caught up. I may end up doing something like playing RDR 6 months later, but who cares, it's still just as fun.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2011
    I've got 8 games in my game/blu-ray rack that haven't even been put in the XBox yet. :redface:

See, with a few exceptions (more lately), I don't buy new. I go to Game Stop or a similar place 6 months to a year after a game has been out and I can buy 3-4 games (good ones) for the price of a new one.

The only games I really have to buy new are the multiplayer ones, solely because of the low longevity of some of those titles.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2011
    ARISE Red Dead Thread!!!

Just finished this a few days ago and am pretty closed to achieving 100% completetion. Not because I felt the need to do so. The game is so engrossing, you most almost find yourself doing it naturally.

Easily the most enjoyable game I have ever played.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2011
    I was thinking about this the other day, I think I'll go back and start playing again.

I've been catching up on other games latesly like Crysis 2, Black Ops, BC2, etc. But in the last couple weeks I've found myself going back to Fallout 3 and now probably RDR.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2011
    Eeek! Just reread my post. I should probably do a quick scan before I submit. Holy grammatical errors, Batman! Anyway... I think I'll be running out to get the Undead Nightmare expansion this evening. I'm already going through Red Dead Withdrawal.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited July 2011
    I got to like 10% and quit. Every time I turned the game on, I would get an invite to play with friends and we would do gang hideout missions. Then I had so many other games that I decided I would never go back to Red Dead.

I'm sure it's a great game... but I gotta learn not to buy open world games. If a game takes more than 14 hours to beat, I'll never finish it.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Splif
    Splif Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    Just popped this in again last night. I forgot how good the environment, controls, depth, characters, missions, etc etc were. It really is one of, if not, the best games I've ever played.

I never got 100% completion on it so I started hunting around trying to finish it. Still not finished. 98.2% i think. Not sure exactly what I'm missing in it. But Bet your bottom dollar I'll be playing it until I find it.

Spliff7 for 360. Look me up and we can "form a posse" lol.
    Pn51D550
    Panasonic DMP-BDt110
    Onkyo HT-RC360
    Polk Monitor 60's L/R
    Polk CS2 C
    Polk Monitor 30's SL/SR
    BIC F12
    XBOX 360 COD:MW2 250g edition
    Logitech Harmony One
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited August 2011
    My jaw drops every time I fire this game up on the epson projector but like kuntasensei I
    end up getting invites for the online games and never get into it as much as I'd like to
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2011
    You guys are missing out only doing the online thing. The online play is fine, but the story and all the side missions is really where this game shines IMO
  • Splif
    Splif Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    You guys are missing out only doing the online thing. The online play is fine, but the story and all the side missions is really where this game shines IMO

QFT

I never went into the online, or the open free roam until I had finished like 80% of the single player. The SP kept my busy for HOURS and still can.
    Pn51D550
    Panasonic DMP-BDt110
    Onkyo HT-RC360
    Polk Monitor 60's L/R
    Polk CS2 C
    Polk Monitor 30's SL/SR
    BIC F12
    XBOX 360 COD:MW2 250g edition
    Logitech Harmony One
  • leadfoot1
    leadfoot1 Posts: 155
    edited August 2011
    I have been playing games since the Atari 2600 came out and RDR is the best game ever. I finished the single player a while back but still play online alot. I have every gun golden except the explosive rifle. Not sure how many hours I have online but it's hundreds
  • Shan87
    Shan87 Posts: 12
    edited September 2011
    I enjoyed the ending...
  • mudwrx
    mudwrx Posts: 367
    edited September 2011
    I just finished the game last night. Absolutely fabulous game. I am one who enjoys a game that takes a long time, as long as it keeps me interested. And this one kept me hooked from the beginning.
    I completed all of the side missions and challenges. I even got the trophy for killing at least one of every animal species (I wasn't trying for this, I just shot a duck last night and got the trophy).

I played the game as a "good guy" the whole way through. I wanted my honor to be as high as possible, and my fame level is Legend.

Now that I am done I think I will go back and kill every one in site and be bad, very bad.

I will also get the zombie DLC, I've heard great things about that too.
  • corrinthians
    corrinthians Posts: 35
    edited September 2011
    I'm finally restarting this game. My original ps3 died half way through this game. I hadn't played RD since because I was too pissed about starting all over. Can't wait to finish it.
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121K
    Front: Polk Monitor 70 II (cherry)
    Center: Polk CS2 II (cherry)
    Surround: Satellites from my previous HTIB
    Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1 EX